DE translations needed

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Evie
Developer

DE translations needed

Post by Evie »

Can I get German translations for the following portals?

Portal to Runewick, the realm of wisdom
Portal to Cadomyr, the realm of honour
Portal to Galmair, the realm of prosperity
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Re: DE translations needed

Post by Katharina Brightrim »

Portal nach Runewick, dem Reich der Weisheit
Portal nach Cadomyr, dem Reich der Ehre
Portal nach Galmair, dem Reich des Wohlstands

:P
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Katharina is right but i would prefer

Portal to Runewick, the realm of knowledge
Portal nach Runewick, dem Reich des Wissens

(( for me there is a BIG difference between knowledge and wisdom -> and Runewick isnt for me the realm of wisdom, sorry ))
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

http://illarion.org/illarion/us_factions.php#3

Lorewise Runewick is the realm of wisdom and magic.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Katharina Ross wrote:Lorewise Runewick is the realm of wisdom and magic.
:arrow: i know but in my eyes this is a big mistake and wrong // ich weis, aber in meinen Augen ist das ein großer Fehler und falsch
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

All towns are different than their descriptions on the page. This can't be and even not should be changed just because these are descripitons of mechanical foundations not a shape made by active characters. Like a character who follows rules of honor is not forced to live in Cadomyr and character who wants to become most of riches can be citizen of other than Galmair. These are rp-choices.
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Karrock wrote:This can't be and even not should be changed just because these are descripitons of mechanical foundations not a shape made by active characters.
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

I'll jump on the band wagon and note that I found it kind of weird that Runewick and Cadomyr are realms of values/ideas while Galmair is a realm of a 'condition'.
Especially the German translation "Wohlstand", directly translating to 'being wealthy' (which Galmair is right now, in relation to the other Realms), is something that can be lost. What if that happens?
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

Perhaps you are right, Q-wert. Instead of describing in this form Galmair that looks like description of a condition or rich state, DEVS can use different word/words while not step outside of mechanical shape. But I would not say this is a big issue.

I would suggest - > The realm of the power of money.
Or something what sounds similar but it's even shorter.
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

"Wohlstand" or "prosperity" does not just mean to have a lot of money, but describes a high life-quality, which is a an idea just like like wisdom and honour.
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

Katharina Ross wrote:"Wohlstand" or "prosperity" does not just mean to have a lot of money, but describes a high life-quality, which is a an idea just like like wisdom and honour.

An amount of wealth granting economic security as well as a high standard of living (the official definition of the word) is a condition of having something material. Something material that can be taken away, making it a condition that can be lost.
If some place is brought to economic and individual ruin by whatever (maybe it has been plundered, burnt and the population been enslaved), this place does lose its prosperity (or "Wohlstand"). However, its people can still act with honour or wisdom.
Charlotte-ate-wilbur

Post by Charlotte-ate-wilbur »

Q-wert wrote:I'll jump on the band wagon and note that I found it kind of weird that Runewick and Cadomyr are realms of values/ideas while Galmair is a realm of a 'condition'.
Especially the German translation "Wohlstand", directly translating to 'being wealthy' (which Galmair is right now, in relation to the other Realms), is something that can be lost. What if that happens?
If we want to get into semantics, Cadomyr surely has plenty of people who are not honorable and Runewick isn't exactly full of very 'wise' people.

These are just broad concepts and I feel semantics are biased opinions and really aren't needed to help develope a game. Just giving translations would've been helpful too.