whats wrong now?

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

thebigbear

whats wrong now?

Post by thebigbear »

I've been away from the game. None of my avatars can use their weapons. They cannot attack nor defend themselves. Also, none of them can pick up eggs from the nests. All of my avatars used to be able to do these things. What changed? Why?

You often ask me when I've been away why do I not play? Maybe if you stop fixing things that aren't broke, me and other people would stay and play more often. I often have limited time to play computer games, but when I do have time, I'd like the games to WORK! :x
Dantagon Marescot

Re: whats wrong now?

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

There was a major update about a year ago for crafting. When they did that some of the armor and weapons levels changed. Check your current equipment against your skills. This should be the last major crafting update like that so those are unlikely to change further.

As for eggs, that should still work.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Some links to assist with questions. Away any length of time can change things, Welcome back.

irc for immediate answers: http://illarion.org/community/us_chat.php

Some sticky threads in the New Player forum which may help (and is why I moved this thread here :) )
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =6&t=41285
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =6&t=38609
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =6&t=38503
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =6&t=41203

Other threads which may be helpful are also here in this forum and the homepage. Again enjoy. .
Brightrim
Developer

Post by Brightrim »

Picking eggs belong to the husbandry skill now, so it will be very slow to pick them at first until you reach a certain level in that.
Should still be possible for anyone to start the process of picking them though, just slow.
thebigbear

Post by thebigbear »

OK, thanks for the replies, but you missed the part that I said DOESN'T work. All my avatars just stand still when I try to fight. Even with basic level 0 weapons, they do nothing. Ive tried clicking on the target. Ive tried clicking on the weapon. Nothing happens. My avatars just stand still while they get hit repeatedly.

About eggs and husbandry: I made the mistake of taking the husbandry skill and lost all my skills in another area. I think it was cooking, but I'm not sure now, because it HAS been a long time since THAT change in the game protocols. How long should it take for an avatar to pick up eggs? A few seconds, a minute, how long? If my avatar DOESN'T have husbandry skill, how long should that one take? A minute, 5 minutes? Give me a clue, please.

And if these problems are not solved here, where else should I post them? Who should I ask?

Sorry if I sound unpleasant, but I find myself really torn by playing a game that doesn't work as its intended, but sends me messages asking why I stopped playing the game. What should be obvious apparently is NOT obvious. And, Grandma told me, "If you fix something often enough, eventually you will break it and won't be able to fix it."

"Happy Thanksgiving" to those that celebrate the holiday.
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

Could you provide more details on this combat bug? A screenshot of this happening while fighting a rat or something could help.

Is the opponent getting targeted properly, with the red circle around them? If not, how are you trying to target them? It should be by right clicking them. If this is not working, also include a screenshot of where on their avatar you are right clicking.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

The erros you describe are completely new to us. Noone has reported any bugs like those you experience. So we didn't do that intentionally ;) As ltgmkay wrote, it would be helpful to get some more information. Does attacking without weapons work?

On the egg thing: It should just take a few seconds. So again, maybe a screen shot would help.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

No problem thebigbear and fully understand the frustration.. talk with the dev's to get some help and Happy Thanksgiving to you also!
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

To attack a monster, you need to click with the right mouse button on it. Not on the weapon. You can equip any weapon or none at all.

To gather eggs, you need to double click with the left mouse button on the nest. Only nests with eggs in it work.

You can get an overview of the basic commands by hitting F1. These things above have not changed since January 2013.
thebigbear

Post by thebigbear »

OK, figured out what was wrong. To pick up eggs, you must have a husbandry score of at least 1. A score of zero isn't enough to pick an egg off the ground. Hmph. You guys and your logic. :roll:
Second, while all other tasks require a left click to target a task, fighting requires a RIGHT click. Again, hmph. Some logic. Counter-intuitive, to me at least. :(
Third, once again, I am easily frustrated and led with my mouth and a hot temper. A person would think at my age, I'd know better, but apparently not. I may never learn, so...
My apologies for being...abrasive with my problems. Thank all of you for being patient and in "problem solving mode." :oops:
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

thebigbear wrote:To pick up eggs, you must have a husbandry score of at least 1. A score of zero isn't enough to pick an egg off the ground. Hmph. You guys and your logic. :roll:
That's not our logic, that's a bug. ;)
thebigbear wrote: Second, while all other tasks require a left click to target a task, fighting requires a RIGHT click. Again, hmph. Some logic. Counter-intuitive, to me at least. :(
That's because right clocking is used for look ats, and naming of other player characters.
Banduk

Post by Banduk »

Jupiter wrote:
thebigbear wrote:To pick up eggs, you must have a husbandry score of at least 1. A score of zero isn't enough to pick an egg off the ground. Hmph. You guys and your logic. :roll:
That's not our logic, that's a bug. ;)
I tested the function. There was no problem with husbandry skill 0 even for a brand new char without any skill with the egg gathering. Also the code showed no differences to all other gathering activities.

The basic mouse clicks:
  • Left click - Go to
  • Left double click - Use
  • Right click - Fight
P.S. It's always a good idea to use a more advanced mouse with an extra button for double click left.
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

Don't forget spacebar - better/quicker for opening doors and using stuff (gathering eggs etc etc) than double left click.
A score of zero isn't enough to pick an egg off the ground
That gave me a chuckle.