New to the game world

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Omarcomin

New to the game world

Post by Omarcomin »

Hello Everyone,

My name is Evan and I'm very excited to join your community. I'm very much looking forward to meeting your alter-egos and seeing how they mesh with own.

I come to illarion with a little bit of Table Top RPG experience. However, as I get older it becomes increasingly difficult to find groups worth the time investment. I'm glad to have found a dedicated experience online that suits my schedule.

I used to play on an old Ultima Online private server that was set up very similarly to this one and I am hopeful this game will capture my imagination in the same way it did.

Cheers everyone, catch you on the cobbles.
Achae Eanstray

Re: New to the game world

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Welcome Evan! :)

Enjoy the game and if you have any questions, ask here or catch some one in irc using the chat feature from the Home page :)
Karrock

Post by Karrock »

Omarcomin wrote: I used to play on an old Ultima Online private server that was set up very similarly to this one and I am hopeful this game will capture my imagination in the same way it did.
Be careful comparing those two games to each other. You will see much differences later after long playing.
I'm writing this because I don't like Ultima shards. Don't know maybe you found before one where rp is on first place, but in my experiences there were always powergaming on first place and I was once cursed and I made bad opinion about Illarion on one facebook's page (about table rpgs) by comapring Illarion to Ultima Online. As I wrote for many Ultima is levels grind game. In Illarion was long time in past when you could have no combat skills and travel from town to town by feets. And still your levels don't say anything about your char. The rp does.

Welcome a board!
Omarcomin

Post by Omarcomin »

Yes that has been my experience too, for the most part. My Ultima Shard was a private RP server called Ultima Legacy. I believe the old website is still active which should give you some idea of the depth and quality of RP that went on there.

Part of the experience I enjoy most in these games is the shared adventure. Those adventures are far less enjoyable when you RP a skilled and resilient warrior... Only you have to run from foxes. A bit immersion breaking .

Certainly subsequent characters will not recieve the same attention to mechanical skill :)
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Welcome to Illarion, Evan!

I am pretty sure you will find your way here in Illarion. I am very interested in new player feedback on the game, especially about the first hour. Please let me know if anything caused problems during that time. As you already found out, the Illarion Chat is a very good way to get in contact with the players:

http://illarion.org/community/us_chat.php

From a developer's perspective, one of the major differences between Illarion and Ultima Online is that Illarion is Open Source. So whenever you want to dig into the details of a game feature or want to propose a change, you can jump directly to the game code and find out all the details. This won't make solving quests or defeating monsters any easier, though ;-). Illarion is thereby a very open game, very open to proposals and changes. All developers and Gamemasters are (former) players, so you could think of Illarion as a giant sandbox. At the same time, it has to be said that Ultima Online was a commercial AAA title of a major company while Illarion is a spare time project of enthusiasts.

The aspect of the wilderness not being save is confirmed. Safety is only given on some roads. The coastal route between the Kantabi desert and the northern part of Illarion is especially dangerous; it is a slight drawback of the land's layout that we just have a narrow passage there between mountains and the sea. Monster spawns and monster behaviours will be adapted in future, but the wilderness will remain wild. That's why we have safe transporters, ferries and think about adding more transport options to the game.