Does anyone remember the Temple?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Morbius

Does anyone remember the Temple?

Post by Morbius »

Hey Guys, it's been quite a while.

I wanted to start this topic after some time reflecting on 'the good old days' and how much fun I've had over the years playing this game, in particular the time I spent role playing with characters from the Temple in it's later days.

What I really wanted to do was compile as much lore as possible from any ex-members who might still be lurking around. Mainly out of personal interest but if I get enough takers maybe eventually compile it all into some kind of book which could even be implemented in game? (assuming that kind of thing is still allowed/hasn't been done already?)

So if anyone can recall the early days, like how the Temple began, it's past leaders, various significant events, quests, enemies, or achievements that should be recorded and not forgotten, or if you even just feel like reminiscing and having a chat please shoot me a PM.

Looking forward to some replies,

~PO Stefan~
Djironnyma

Re: Does anyone remember the Temple?

Post by Djironnyma »

From the "Epos iginis" the one and only truth :wink:
Since this day [21st Adras 27], its members [the Bearers of the Fire] have been pursuing their aims according their codex, as the protection of the weak, the fight against the darkness and the increase or rather protection of knowledge as well as the enjoyment of the pleasures of life. Particularly the former three aims of the codex have been immediately resulted in a conflict with the so called order The Temple, leaded by Avalyon el'Hattarr and Verdazar Ivinius during those days, and who have dedicated themselves to the darkness as well as the Unmentionable.

After kidnapping, mistreating and transforming the state of appearance of former companion and member Aelorn Galathras during Imras of the year 28, as well as ignoring of the demand of reparation by the Temple, both orders went to war at 22nd Malas of the year 28. This state has been existing for five years. During those days both sides have clashed several times, whereas the Battle of Varshikar at 14. Adras in the year 29 has been one of the peak of this conflict between the Light and the Darkness, when the forces of the Light were able to make their opponents looking like fools in an impressive manner. But this battle has not been the end of battle against the Darkness, however it encouraged the Bearers of Fires to forge ahead irresistible for their ambitious aims as can be seen in the report about the combat of the demon Mandrel Renoe by the bearer Amarien von Varda.

The truce with the temple did not last long. The disciples of the unspoken acquired control over the city of Trolls Bane by intrigue and treason. With this base of power they forged plans to attack individual members of the order.
As a result the order declared the truce abolished and recruited brothers in arms for the battle gainst the darkness. Also remarkable was that the order could win the orc tribe “The Darkest Mountain clan” as companions. On the 18th of Zhas in the year 33, the order recaptured Trolls Bane and defeated the temple.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

Kyre was originally assisting the temple through the request of Joxia...though never a member. :D http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =4&t=32647. She was part of the quest of Temple and Nordmark.
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

My first contact with the Temple was when Avalyon, Verdazar and Seregon teleported to the Farmer's Union and demanded protection money after a very nicely done show of power. I loved it.

Many more fond memories were made with the Temple or certain members involved, though most of them were personal between my char and others and probably not very interesting if you haven't been there. I remember a lot of the history too, but only from an outsider's perspective and only beginning around the time when Verdazar became the overlord. You should know of every important event from that period already, so I'll just stop typing here before I get all nostalgic. Many thanks to you all for great times and having contributed a lot to the game's addictive qualities in those days.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Yes.
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Haha, yeah! That's the stuff!

Thanks for you input and PMs so far guys, keep 'em coming!

Haven't had time to read that thread from you yet Kyre but that there is a nice meaty lump of lore if ever I saw one! Thanks!
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

They turned one of my characters into a zombie.

I can't find the topic in which they did. But as part of it a GM made me write an RP thread.

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... ap#p549571

(I know, i'm a terrible Forum rper)
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

I didn't know they -made- you write a rp thread. That is hilarious. I love this game sometimes.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Nothing but a bunch of noobs.
Siltaris

Post by Siltaris »

I do remember.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Siltaris wrote:I do remember.

I remember Siltaris also! :D

Achae was shown the temple once by Dain, and once they used her neutral druid status to try to change things in Trolls Bane i.e. there was a law no Moshran worship in the town I believe.
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Nothing but a bunch of noobs.
Tell me about it. Especially that Verdazar guy... :wink:
Achae was shown the temple once by Dain, and once they used her neutral druid status to try to change things in Trolls Bane i.e. there was a law no Moshran worship in the town I believe.
I have seriously lost count of the amount of times the Temple tried to take over Trolls Bane. It really was embaressing after a while... like Team Rocket forever trying to steal Ash's Pikachu in Pokemon...
Damien

Post by Damien »

Yeah, bad thing about purely conflict-oriented groups (=villains) is that they can be fun in the beginning, but become annoying after a while.
Bad thing about purely "evil" groups is that they mainly cause conflict and everything else (=nice RP) with those characters would be very, very inconsequent RP (which gets annoying to those outside the group as well, example: "You're arrested, criminal !" "But i'm no criminal RIGHT NOW...") you get what i mean.

Most more "lasting" fun, player-side, that did NOT annoy other players, i've seen with playing groups that do have a goal, but are defined in a way that allows them to interact with other groups/guilds also on a friendly base.
All you need is a kind of moral code, identity and some long-term goals that don't involve conquering or dominating everyone else ;)
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

I don't see how ruling the world is a bad goal.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Vern Kron wrote:I don't see how ruling the world is a bad goal.
Me neither.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Nitram, King of Earth.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Damien wrote:Yeah, bad thing about purely conflict-oriented groups (=villains) is that they can be fun in the beginning, but become annoying after a while.
Bad thing about purely "evil" groups is that they mainly cause conflict and everything else (=nice RP) with those characters would be very, very inconsequent RP (which gets annoying to those outside the group as well, example: "You're arrested, criminal !" "But i'm no criminal RIGHT NOW...") you get what i mean.

Most more "lasting" fun, player-side, that did NOT annoy other players, i've seen with playing groups that do have a goal, but are defined in a way that allows them to interact with other groups/guilds also on a friendly base.
All you need is a kind of moral code, identity and some long-term goals that don't involve conquering or dominating everyone else ;)
I think most of the problems you raised were actually a consequence of the perception you had of the group, rather than the actual way in which it was actually organised. Now that it's all long done and dusted I hope that if I speak frankly and honestly about the Temple, it's intentions and all, that people will actually believe me.

So AMA and I will reveal all it's secrets.
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

1. How many chicks did Dain bang

2. What was the main goal of the temple?

3. Would Nalzaxx rather walk in on his parents having sex 100 times, or join in once?
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

I just want to say it was incredibly awful to be a new PO during the time of the temple. Nuff said.
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

Uhuru wrote:I just want to say it was incredibly awful to be a new PO during the time of the temple. Nuff said.
Why was that?
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

Starling arrived on Gobaith during the time the Temple had taken over Bane and the GMs had rebelled and turned off all the NPCs. I didn't find it awful at all. A small handful of players and the GM backlash were a little bit of overkill but otherwise, I thought it was fun. I wasn't strictly speaking a new PO but Starling was a brand new character right then with a whole new perspective on events. I personally enjoyed it.
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

As a new PO, everyone was in their character, which was mean, not helpful at all, wouldn't show us anything. Refused to even really talk to us. It was plain horrible. Ended up leaving town to try and figure things out on our own after a long talk about whether the game was even worth it. And all of this was AFTER Evie threatened or attempted to burn down Trollsbane because of how poorly we were treated.

Ya, good old times.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

rakust dorenstkzul wrote:1. How many chicks did Dain bang

2. What was the main goal of the temple?

3. Would Nalzaxx rather walk in on his parents having sex 100 times, or join in once?
1. All of them.

2. The main goal of the Temple was deification of the Overlord. Which is why I always found it odd that people thought we worshipped the dark gods. Certainly a number of members did, and that was perfectly tolerated, but the Temple itself taught against worship of the Gods. "We serve no Gods, no Beasts, no Men." Everything else that we did was simply a means to an end and that was what made us 'evil'. Nalzaxx to an extent, and Verdazar most certainly were not motivated by the need to be mean to people. For them it was simply that they would do whatever it took to achieve their goals, whether people got hurt along the way or not.

3. Walk in on them 100 times.
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

I'm sorry you had that experience, Uhuru. I logged in secret test characters for various reasons and found Temple POs making an effort to welcome the newbie character, showing the ropes, offering tools, etc. Non-Temple POs too and certainly not all of the Temple POs but definitely some of them. Some of them were irredeemable jerks. That's how it goes in any group, I guess.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Temple was ok except when they all had insta-teleport stones
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Fooser wrote:Temple was ok except when they all had insta-teleport stones

I thought they were just logging off with the stones when I was a new player, so I did it too.

They weren't.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

There were different version of the temple and I liked the one that was around 2006-07 a lot. I was still new back then (I joined 06) and it was fun. Everyone was talking about the temple. Even though my character didn't have directly to do with it (except for he was seeing a [former] temple member..) he heard stuff about it etc.
I liked that. I think the version(s) after that lacked that a bit. They became a bit too blunt-
Matron

Post by Matron »

What Jupiter said.
I, too, joined in 2006/07 and the Temple was always an ominous thing in the background for me. You saw people and other people would whisper to you "He is with the temple!" which was sort of exciting even though I had no idea what that meant or why they would be a threat to my character.
My English wasn't as good back then which kinda prevented me from getting in touch with them a lot except for some minor scenes which I thoroughly enjoyed. (asking an elfess whether she knew of "that Meriel witch that is with the temple" and she turned out to be Meriel, immediately hating my char's guts)
What followed after those Templars was always rather boring and wanna-be in my opinion. (no offense to those who tried to revive it)