Bubbles

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Nitram
Developer

Re: Bubbles

Post by Nitram »

Okay so here is a status update.
  • Rendering the new outlined font is done. I also used it for the inform messages as well, because you can read it a lot better compared to the old one.
  • I removed the background of the bubbles
  • I shortened the display time from 5 seconds + (100ms * characters in the text) to 4 seconds + (50ms * characters in the text). Feels acceptable. But that is still up for fine tuning. It's very easy to alter.
  • Updating the locations of the speed bubbles during movement of both yourself and other characters works. The bubble follows the assigned characters until it fades out.
  • In case a character says two things in a short sequence the first one is removed from the screen and replaced by the second one. That works also just fine.
How what I didn't get to work is the fading out in case the mouse hovers over. That presented some challenges and I am not sure if I can solve that easily.

Now some screenshots:

Single text line
The actual text looks acceptable and far less invasive compared to the original one. Thanks to the outline the text works on both light and dark backgrounds.

Now the problem starts if two characters on close proximity start talking at the same time. In the original version at least one of the text remains readable because the background hid the other. In this new version is becomes very difficult to read either. Screenshot overlapping problem

Not sure right now how to solve this.

So that's the update on the progress in this matter.

Nitram
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

That single bubble looks great, Nitram! :D

For the overlapping ... can this be set to recognize and display only one speech bubble at a time? In other words, when the second character emotes or speaks, the first one's text vanishes? Or, alternately, maybe more of the screen could be used for the speech display? Something like character 1 text displays overhead, character 2 text displays below feet, character 3 text displays off to one side. Like that?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The problem is that if I add alternative locations for the bubbles it becomes harder to tell what bubble belongs to what character. Also more space of the screen is used. And that was some of the main point why the old bubbles were no good.

Nitram
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Since
The bubble follows the assigned characters until it fades out
, why not have it just fade out when a second one shows. I realize this isn't ideal but it can still point to the character that spoke on fade-out AND it is still on the chat screen for those that wish to read it?

This for two chars close together that would take up the same bubble. For one more distant can it just show as normal i.e. one near the char and the other near the second char?

Another option also.. I was in the dev looking at the char and emotes and think a 3 sec. showing may be just as well.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Nitram, it looks great! Even the overlapping, in my opinion, looks way better than the current bubbles. We still have the chat box to tell us what was said, at least now we can see which text comes from which person. <3 Good job!
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I already changed NPCs and monsters to get some "special" bubbles.

In case they contain a lot of text the bubbles just show three dots as talking indicator. Also the text is shown only two seconds. The chat log shows the text as usual.

I'll try the thing with hiding the "older" bubble in case overlapping happens.

Nitram
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

thanks a lot Nitram :)
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

These are much improved, Thank You. I still would like the look-at bubbles to have the same treatment and a delay when the mouse points to them. I dont need to know it is a rock or tree every time my mouse rests briefly on something. I also dont need that bubble to follow me until I move my mouse again. And to have it just indicate another rock or wall or whatever. Still, this was a very nice update.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

Did say it yesterday already in chat - I love it <3 Thanks Nitram !
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

The new speech text is great no troubles seeing now, a big thumbs up! 8)
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Are we ready to close this proposal?
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Y E S
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Proposal closed but can contact me if see a reason to reopen.

Achae