Vomitting! :D

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

Mr.Oldie

Vomitting! :D

Post by Mr.Oldie »

This is to make cooking better and dishes more widely used.
Currently most people just get a fishing rod and is set for life as they can eat smoked fish.
Even though other dishes provide boosts to attributes these are not widely used.

I want to make characters sick if they eat the same food for too long.
Not the usual sickness thats there now when you eat more than a stomach full;
but more like vomiting and emptying your stomach.(the hunder bar empties upto 3/4th, no change in health bar)

Below is a mock division group of all food IG currently.
1.anything that can be gathered without use of tools/weapons
Apples/cherries/grapes/berries/Tangerine

2.using tools/weapons
a)banana//blackberries/strawberries
b)Fish/steak

3.smoked/basic cooked
a)smoked fish
b)Ham
c)sausage

a)Mushroom soup
b)Bread rolls
c)Meat dish

Cookies
Sausage dish

Onion soup
Blackberry muffin
Steak dish
Fish filet

Bread
Rabbit dish

Cabbage soup
Apple pie
Lamb dish

Cherry cake
Venison dish
Salmon dish

Mulligan
Strawberry cake
Each food group here should be given a tolerance capacity.Eating food would lessen tolernace towards the group the food belongs to.
Once tolerance is empty chars should vomit if they eat anything from the same group again. you should eat from another group to increase /tolerance.
This would hopefully make them consider other groups

1 ↑ Slowest increment/decrement in tolerance capactiy ↑ (this allows new chars to eat easy/low cost food for longer period of time; once tolerance is lost they shouldnt be able to eat samegroup's food again easily though) ↑

5 ↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨↨

10 ↓ Fastest increment/decrement in tolerance capactiy ↓ (a lil too fast that they would have to mix n match different groups in the upper tiers so that they can balance tolerance)↓

I just desperately want cooking to be made more important :D this just an idea. any idea similar to this making others to eat different dishes is welcome.
Last edited by Mr.Oldie on Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Achae Eanstray

Re: Vomitting! :D

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Please don't! This is just too gross for some and I would like to keep my dinner down if eating while playing. Also I find it irritating to be "forced" into something rather then "elect". You can elect not to have your attributes raised.. your proposal forces something.
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

any idea that would make cooking a more useful craft is welcomed. this was just my version of trying to do that :)
If you can propose a way for in which cooks get involved in the supplying others with food or atleast a majority of them then that alright with me too :D
I just want cooking to play a more important role in the game.
Leena

Post by Leena »

if possible.. how about saved food that has a "life" to it .. it would go bad after a certain amount of time, this may be impossible.. but if food could go bad after awhile we could keep the cooks much busier...
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Leena wrote:if possible.. how about saved food that has a "life" to it .. it would go bad after a certain amount of time, this may be impossible.. but if food could go bad after awhile we could keep the cooks much busier...
No eat-by dates for food. It's just annoying and there are also some technical problems with that, e.g. stackability.

To the original idea:
The first food system had not only boni but also mali. We decided to drop the mali because we want to encourage them to eat good for by rewarding them, not by punishing them if they don't.

Furthermore, I don't see why cooks would need to play "a more important role". Not every system needs to be an epic one and I surely think cooking does not need to be one.
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Part of the problem is that the ability to sell anything is nearly dead. Only high-end items are sellable, which food, is not anymore. Unless it has a super-high buff ability, nobody cares it seems. Or, perhaps they make their own.

Crafts in general are a waist of time or people make their own. Sure can't live off them.
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

Economies in online games are always a nightmare, I have never seen one that really works and certainly never managed to implement one.

On the subject of cooking, increasing the length of bonuses would almost certainly make it slightly more desirable. For the economy over all I think we need a few more NPCS that inject a little coin, a quarter master who will buy 300 iron ingots for 1gp once a week. Things like that would help keep lower level or less gain orientated characters more liquid, same could be done for cooking X amount of steak dinners, once a week for 1 or 2 gold would keep pockets jingling. Once people have gold they are more likely to spend it with crafters, its a fine line between poverty and an economy that is so rich no one cares.
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

Uhuru wrote:Part of the problem is that the ability to sell anything is nearly dead. Only high-end items are sellable, which food, is not anymore. Unless it has a super-high buff ability, nobody cares it seems. Or, perhaps they make their own.

Crafts in general are a waist of time or people make their own. Sure can't live off them.
Uhuru wrote:
The little repair people i have said in the past are a large part to blame for a pathetically weak economy, why bother to buy anything when for a few coins you can get your old one fixed.These guys would be fine if they charged a prohibative price for repairs then only those who could afford it would get there most precious items fixed, and for the other needs we would seek out the crafters.
The food is no longer of much importance due to it short term bonuses,why bother to buy top quality food at a high price if all it gives you is a short term boost,Alas they threw out the very fine quality food consumption system at the vbu , oh and another thing torches,lamps ,lanterns these are also of no real use due to the lack of any mine or hole in the ground that is dark .
These little things in my opinion will make a huge difference to the economy and food system (bring back the old one) should be simpler to implement than the forced food intolerance suggested :shock: .
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

have no idea how the old food system worked PreVBU.
Could someone explain that.

Ohh and currently only way for crafters earn money is through Powergaming/grinding by making things.
There is not much player to player trade (i should know :D) nor any conceived value for an item due to its quality other than as part of RP.
So a crafter cant ask much higher than the market price for his quality because then majority of the players opt to buy "normal" things from the merchants
Adding perks for quality would be a good idea.

About food there is no quality to be determined here so a cook would always have to sell under market price.
applying Quality would make it unstackable. so unless proper perks are there doing this is not worth it also.

am glad to say that the current Armour-weapon lvl restriction worked well enough that all armours are sought after than the high end ones.
Hopefully Food can be changed in such a way too.
Otherwise thinking economically and time wise; we are ending up with world full of smoked fish and venison dishes. :D
Evie
Developer

Post by Evie »

As far as only smoked fish and vension dishes.. I guess thats an rp thing. Each character has their own favorite food. Evie will always take apple pie over cherry cake even though the benefits are less strategical. its an RP thing as a favorite taste. As a person preVBU that made a living partially from cooking, she now only cooks for friends and family. I find no market in it, but she enjoys it so continues. Honestly, I think I see more people cooking now than in the previous version, and I think its an economic thing like RL. If money is tight you cook for yourself rather than buying out.

PreVBU Perminant constitution buffs were given based on your overall diet. A day of eating smoked fish would lower your buff and so the person had to eat better cooked meals to get it back.
Lesska

Post by Lesska »

here is something i was thinking of that MIGHT be something to consider, although it would probably get rejected due to the need for excessive thinking.

what if the cooks had an NPC to sell to that had a semi dynamic stock. The cook sells to the NPC who then 'sells' the food to the unseen but still technically present 'rest of the town' that the players never see but has to exist in order for towns to really exist. you know, the peasants and housewives, day laborers, farmers miners and woodcutters, and even the odd beggar who have to exist in a town and fill out the town's 'actual' population.

The stock in the merchants inventory might go down a set amount ever game day to simulate the regular non played population buying food and thus giving a market to the cooks to sell a vital commodity that adventurers might not have a daily need for. The stock level would determine the price offered, and high end food might offer more coin but the price might also drop much faster as fewer citizens can regularly afford to eat venison dishes daily, but your average pesant can afford a loaf of bread or two every day, giving bread a lower but more stable price.
themonk

Post by themonk »

in cadomyr its hard tpo eat anything other than fish as there are no pigs or farms...
Lesska

Post by Lesska »

Lesska failsss to sssee problem?
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

themonk wrote:in cadomyr its hard tpo eat anything other than fish as there are no pigs or farms...
There are many cooks out there willing to sell you plated meals and cakes. I'm sure everyone knows at least one good cook, if not, ask around.