There must be a better way

Here you can make and discuss suggestions to improve the game. / Hier kannst du Vorschläge einreichen und diskutieren um das Spiel zu verbessern.

Moderator: Developers

GolfLima

Re: There must be a better way

Post by GolfLima »

@Salathe

* keep in mind - for some of the Char. magical gems has no sense - only Fighters need them ... and at the moment i have the feeling there are to much magical gems at the game ....
* taxes are definitly a money sink - we need this kind of money sink, but the tax system could be better
* i have never read something about changing the period for taxes ...
Teflon

Post by Teflon »

@Golflima for clarification
Fooser's original post wrote: -Keep taxes but have them only occur twice per IG year at ~5%
Despite magical gems are currently not desirable for some chars (all those non-fighters, you mentioned. However, I think you could use them for trade of pure elements or other (rare) items), they might be useful even for them in the future. I think this was Salathe's point here.
;)
Leena

Post by Leena »

could it even be considered.. that at level 70 gem cutting etc.... one could take say 30 rubies. and make 1 latent magical ruby..each 5 levels of gem cutting up there you could make another type of latent.... lots of work to get there but another way to make gems from the other cities.
Annabeth

Post by Annabeth »

Leena wrote:could it even be considered.. that at level 70 gem cutting etc.... one could take say 30 rubies. and make 1 latent magical ruby..each 5 levels of gem cutting up there you could make another type of latent.... lots of work to get there but another way to make gems from the other cities.
Any way like such to easily mass produce magical gems in that manner would make them pretty much worthless almost immediately.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Not if the price is right. Say, like, 50 or 100 cut gems of a type for a latent gem. If you buy them from an NPC youll pay more in resources than the market value of a latent gem. Mining them yourself takes a while. And gemcutting doesnt have much use right now.
Alrik

Post by Alrik »

Keep in mind that not every city has its own mine, so some city´s just could get gems via monsterdrop or equal. And not every city has all static tools for gemcutting or npc merchant which are selling gems. So two cities would have an big advantage in this case, one is left behind.
Annabeth

Post by Annabeth »

Alrik wrote:Keep in mind that not every city has its own mine, so some city´s just could get gems via monsterdrop or equal. And not every city has all static tools for gemcutting or npc merchant which are selling gems. So two cities would have an big advantage in this case, one is left behind.
Spoken like a true runewickian. :D
Though on a serious note, due to previous statements made by certain developers, I very much doubt a feature like this nor any other feature that would make magical gems or elements less rare to such a degree and even open up the possibility for mass production is not likely at all to happen in any near future.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

* the mines are not in town .... so everybody can enter / use them (but true for some this could be a little bit more difficult than for others)
* as i know only the NPC at Cadomyr sells raw gems
* and you need a lot of work to find some raw gems when mining
(not sure - but it could be easier to earn raw gems from monsters than from mining)

:arrow: and by the way

The towns are different
(there are other things where Runewick has a better position than one of the other towns)
Alrik

Post by Alrik »

You ´re right. Every city is different and that´s not bad at all.

But in some things, every city should have equal chances. If you want to play a crafter, you could play this in every of the three towns. You could be a carpenter at Runewick, a smith at Galmair or a gemcutter at Cadomyr. It is equal if you want to play a fighter characeter, you could also find your place in one of the towns.

At least, if it comes to things like taxes, benefits for taxes, magical gems and such things, you should have the same chance in every city (I know, at the moment the magic gems just have a use for fighter characters, but if there are more possibilities for/with them in the future...).

You´re also right when you say that the mines are outside the towns, and everybody is free to enter them and mine there. The shortest ways to a mine do have all Cadomyrians and Galmairians. Thats ok, these cities are providing crafts which are needing ores, coal and so on. So this makes sense. But if such benefits like magical gems are bound to a special craft, it should be something were could do the last steps of a craft in every city. As mentioned in the example with gemcutting: Even someone from Runewick could enter a mine in Cadomyr or Galmair and mine for some gems. But if he wants to cut them, he has to enter the city of Galmair or Cadomyr. Because in Runewick theres no grinding stone as far as I know.

No problem at the moment, runewickians are not banned from any city as far as I know, but in future this could happen. If both other cities are banning Runewick, they are cutted off from the benefits (or at least the replenishment).

The situation applies to any city, whichever craft would be taken in order to obtain certain benefits.

I hope I could convey my opinion to some extent. English is not my native language, so it could happen that some things are not this clear.

Just my two cents
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

How big is the chance that people from Runewick will be banned from Galmair AND Cadomyr for a longer time?
(( i think gem cutting is a craft that all people can do - Runewickers too ))
(( i hope that one day magical gems can be used from mages, druids, crafters for their work ))
Alrik

Post by Alrik »

The chance may be not high, but after all, its there.

And of course somone from Runewick could become a gemcutter - but not in Runewick. No mine, no npc selling gems or tools, no grinding stone. Same situation as if you want to become a farmer at Cadomyr or a tailor at Galmair.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

The discussion seems to be a bit off topic, but let me say something to the problem that non-fighters have no direct use for magical gems.

The problem is simple: There are no good ideas what effect they should have in e.g. tools. What should they do enable you to work faster? That is not really a big bonus. Allow you to make items of better quality? Well, that is more interessting, but only if we change the way quality is currently calculated (otherwise, there would be no need for skill 100 crafters to get gems).

For mages, it will be easy-peasy to find new effects as soon as there is a magic system. Stronger, faster spells, whatever.

But that should be discussed separately.
Annabeth

Post by Annabeth »

I think this is drifting a bit far off topic from the OP. Perhaps make an own topic for being able to craft magical gems as well as one for the thing about the difference of available resources and tools in the different towns, so that this can get back on the topic that the OP states.
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

right now new characters are not getting gems until they reach rank 1....
but they are still being taxed before reaching that point..

i suggest characters should not be taxed as well not given out gems until they reach the first rank..
this way the character can choose to gain favour when he wants to, thus able to get enough coins stored up..

this can also be an option for crafters who dont wish to pay taxes by not earning favour at all.. crafters dont need gems anyways soo some may opt to be like this
Alrik

Post by Alrik »

Mr.Oldie wrote:crafters dont need gems anyways soo some may opt to be like this

I´ve heard the staff is already working, so gems will have a use for crafters. It just will need some time and manpower as far as i know.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Confirmed
Nitram wrote:I think first we should implement the "normal" magical gems as they work now for the other item groups (armor, tools). After this we can think about what we are doing with the magical diamonds.
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... 71#p674271