Stats -> Roleplay?

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Daenario Silverbane

Stats -> Roleplay?

Post by Daenario Silverbane »

So I made my character a few days back and he was intended as a kind of naive, simple farmer's son who wanders through the forest and watches animals every now and then, is good with simple manual labour and used to hard work. Just a simple guy really who's content with his life as long as he's got his hands busy with hard work and has no special wishes. So I gave him strength, dexterity and perception and put the left over points into speed and intelligence. Now I've taken a look at the text behind the stats for the first time and apparently my character should be a hulk-like creature with the willpower of a zombie, the intuition / empathy of a dead person and the immune system of a 120 year old drug addict, all the while doing surgery because his eyes work like a microscope and his hands are as precise and steady as a laser.
How serious are those attribute descriptions? Should I orient my roleplay very strictly by them or are they rather ment as a sort of loose guide line? Or were they just ment to show people what the attributes are for? It seems to me if you wanted to roleplay a person who's mediocre to avarage in everything and has but one small talent (like being able to carry heavy stuff) he'd automatically have to be an epic failure in some other aspect of his physique which is kind of scary. I get that of course you need some restriction for the roleplay so people don't go playing Albert Merlin Superman Einstein.

Anyways, my question is: Can I continue to roleplay my character as a happy, naive and simple-minded but physically strong guy with dexterious hands and kind of good eyes or do I have to roleplay by those stat descriptions?
Morbius

Re: Stats -> Roleplay?

Post by Morbius »

Firstly... welcome!

The whole attribute system and what each one affects is known to be a little extreme, vague, and pretty crappy in most areas. It will all change with the pending very big update anyway. Some people pick attributes depending on what they wish to role play, and some choose their attributes to get the best technical adcantage out of the combat and crafting systems, etc. In the end it's really up to you what you do with your attributes, for now I wouldn't worry about it too much and just enjoy the game. c:
Daenario Silverbane

Post by Daenario Silverbane »

Phew ok. I'm glad I can continue rping him like I have :lol: Thanks
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

As Morbius said, most don't follow the stats at all, yet occasionally some are partially followed for example if your char is not too bright...they may not be able to read etc. according to the idea of some players. This, however, is up to the player to decide and not dictated by the game. Moving this question to a different forum so other new players can benefit.