Older Players

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Ishans Schatten

Re: Older Players

Post by Ishans Schatten »

Achae Eanstray wrote: Why did you start playing, what were you looking for?
Just was looking for an Online RPG after i get acces to the WWW(this was 2002)
Achae Eanstray wrote:If you quit, why did you quit playing and how long did you play before quitting?
Went to some German UO Freeshards, they were more complexe and gave you more opportunities.
Also there was 300 player every evening.
The othere reason is the language Illa went more and more to the englisch langauge, Wich i understand but cant express my Character in the way i want because of my lack of english skill.
Achae Eanstray wrote:What made you come back to try to play again and did you stay or leave again, if so why?
For curiosity, and for the people i met on the offical Illa Meeting in Germany. I dont stay long, Because i dont have so much time as once, and illarion dit not make the progress i guest, also it is still dual wieldng german and english

Achae Eanstray wrote:What is/are your best time in the game, your best memory?
To many to tell, Demon invasion, getting killed by Fluffy, Talkin to Kankra(The Spider queen), playing King of the Roof, sitting down at some campfire with friends.

Achae Eanstray wrote:Positive aspects of the game:
Nice People,
Real Roleplaying

Achae Eanstray wrote:Negative aspects of the game:
Dual wielding english and German at same server
falling behind tech Standarts
Lord Arcia

Post by Lord Arcia »

Why did you start playing, what were you looking for?
I started playing this game because one of my friends played and it looked fun. I had played alot of RPGs in the past, but always ones that were linear. This game just blew my mind that your character could be anything s/he wanted to be, and more! Want to be a commoner who is known for their bad breath? Check. Want to be a orc who wears a corset? Double check!

If you quit, why did you quit playing and how long did you play before quitting?
I guess I played for about 6 months before I got banned for PGing.. I still hadn't mastered the idea of roleplaying I guess. Though in my defense I still didn't see how I was powergaming. I would watch people do the same thing for 8+ hours who never got so much as a slap on the wrist! (still a little bitter) After my banning I "cleaned" up my act, I suppose. Been playing pretty much ever since.

What made you come back to try to play again and did you stay or leave again, if so why?
I enjoy crafting, even with no skill gain. I sometimes log in to craft even while "capped." I love it. I've had to stop playing many times for different reasons. Not having enough money for internet. Too busy with work. Playing other games because I got bored. Deployment.

What is/are your best time in the game, your best memory?
Every day I get a chance to learn something new about my character that I didn't know. I've been playing one character for years now and nothing makes me more happy or motivates me more than to just learn something new. My favorite memory IG is probably during the IG year or two that Arcia spent by himself on Vanima. He was chilling down in the cellar/library on Tol and a GM char RP'd as a butterfly coming down to annoy/intrigue my character. It felt really good to know that I had not been forgotten. None of my characters have ever been a "mover and shaker" of IG events. And they like it that way. It was awesome to still be included and know that the game had something to offer other than searching for herbs or cutting down a few bandits.

Positive aspects of the game:
Crafting. The player base. Enforced RP.

Negative aspects of the game:
Players. Ghosting. Needing to PG in order to do quests. Even many GM run quests require a character to have super red parry and slashing in order to contribute. Favoritism to certain players. Schisms between the different languages (nothing can really be done about this though). The map is too big. The last client was perfect if you ask me. Good space vs. players ratio. The char-wipe. I'm still super mad about the last time it was done.

What would you like to see as far as general game direction and would this encourage you to play more?
I pretty much hate the idea of IG quest NPCs other than very basic things. Gather this for that person. There doesn't need to be any more than that. Otherwise it just throws continuity out the window. Quests should be run by GMs and custom tailored to those participating!

Other: Anything to add?
GMs. Engage the player base. Challenge them, even. Help them delve deeper into their characters by randomly stopping in and saying 'Hai'. I know there are clicks IG and for the most part only these players get attention from GMs. That is BS and should be fixed. Don't alienate your players guys.

(Pretty sure I answered some of these questions all wrong.)
Shenandrea

Post by Shenandrea »

Achae Eanstray wrote:Satisfy my curiosity?
For those that have been in the game off and on for a long time, am talking of over three years (which is not long to some I know :D )

A friend of me told me about Illarion and I watched her playing and decided to get my own Character and play too. What I was looking for, probably to find another RPG-Chart which is worth to play except D'n'D and DSA and some other Pen'n'Paper.
If you quit, why did you quit playing and how long did you play before quitting?
Not that I've exactly quit playing, though RL keeps me to busy to play constantly and often. I'm to exthausted in the evening to get my mind free to RP. And IF I have the time, I can bet that my child wakes up to disturb me playing :)
What made you come back to try to play again and did you stay or leave again, if so why?
Fun playing, missing older Characters, curiousity what has changed during my absence. Why'd I leave again? simple see answer before ;)
The old Greenbriar with Miru and Roze, some shorter quests and storylines I've been involved.
Practicing english ;) getting to know other people from around the world ;)
some parts it takes a lot of time to keep track, being major or something equal is stealing almost every free and spare time you've got.
ghosting even if reasonable.
Nothing I could think of right now, because my daughter keeps me busy again.
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

I was looking a way to become prominent in another community (Can't remember which) by joining in on one of their game things, where they'd join a game and make a mark on it, Illa was the game of the week, and i joined in there, i stayed at Illa, sort of left the other community, but the thread they had devoted to Illa devolved into how much of the illa player base was(is?) a bunch of stuck up cybermongers.

Probably about six months solid, then on and off, before it tapered off, i'd start a new char every so often, but it wouldn't stick.

I never really left the forums (lol, ask any of the Gms), so i had my finger generally on the pulse of all the big events, like i said above, i'd make a char every so often.

That one time...uh, no one moment, but some of the times i had with Sssari were hilarious and great.

"Where are we going to find a virgin at this time of night?"

It helps me escape the soul crushing dreariness that is life in a natiion above the equator.

General decline in roleplaying standards.
OVER RESTRICTIVE BUILDING RULES.

What would you like to see as far as general game direction and would this encourage you to play more?

Reintroduction of some sort of application system.

Achae deletes too many of my posts.
Leon Demelii

Post by Leon Demelii »

Years ago I saw both my sisters playing it and thought it was interesting, so I made a char and jumped in. I was quite the noob at RP, no forum account, wasn't very well known but I have been around. I was just looking for a good game to play. I liked the idea of online playing, it made things more real than some game you pick up at the store.
I just randomly stopped for a few years. Honestly I think there just wasn't enough to keep in interested (Such as players) But I was slightly shy at the time. So it took a few years for me to come back with more confidence.
One day I woke up and had the desire to play it again. I came back, made Leon and boom. I've loved him every since. No reason for leaving or coming back.
Tough question. Just about any quest I was a part of. Even a normal day sitting in town would prove to be memorable. That's what i like about the game, if you want something fun to happen, it's mostly on you. If you complain the game is boring, thats -your- fault. Not the GMs
The fact you can make a character and do just about anything with them. I've also met some really cool people here. But, the biggest part is the fact it's a free online game with a community that cares.
The fact the magic is overpowered. I feel warrior and mage should be much more equal and hope that the VBU will fix that. OOC abuse is my biggest issue. Players get so personal and it's really sad. Lastly, favoritism, not that saying this will change it but I see a lot of it.
Everything I said above. I wish the GM's would take the time and explain to the not-so-new players that they are ruining the real RP. No names...
Nope.
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

--Deleted by player--
Last edited by CJK on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

For those that have been in the game off and on for a long time, am talking of over three years (which is not long to some I know :D )

I was tired of games like runescape, so i started searching through random lists of roleplaying games until I happened across this one. Was purely by chance that I decided that it was worth the download and went for it.

My biggest reason for that is that too often the chase became better than the catch for me.. It was all about going after the positions of power, but then once I got them and the challenge was gone, I would get somewhat bored, and get preoccupied with other things such as work/school/whatever.

The roleplay and the players.

Two of the best, I'd have to say, were when everyone was relocated to Goldburg during the demon invasions, and there was a miniquest where there was a hurricane, and everyone took shelter in the copper mines.. the roleplay in both of those were phenominal.

The roleplay/engine balance

The people who figure out the engine to the point that they create super-characters that tend to be subpar in their roleplaying abilities, and end up sucking a lot of fun out of situations

I think it would be cool if there were more gms available who might pop in to give some technical support when surprise roleplay comes around.. and also just making the world a little more interactive in general.

No.

(( if anyone would be so kind as to translate this for the german players would greatly appreciate it! ))
Gildon

Post by Gildon »

I was actually actively looking for a game exactly like Illarion. The roleplaying, the encouraged immersion, it all appealed to me. As mentioned by some other players, the fact that you could make a character and actually go out and make a difference in the game world amazed me, and I set out to do that.

I got my main character, a not-so-charming bandit called Rankor perma-killed after he got too involved with a cult and basically lost all humanity. I liked his ending and I tried to get into playing other characters, but it didn't have the same feel. So I left.

I came back on and off trying to see whether I could get back into the game. Right now I'm checking in occasionally to see when the VBU comes out, I plan to give Illarion another shot when that happens.

Not necessarily my best, but the memory that sticks out the most is trying to get out of the Trollsbane Jail through Liles. He heard Rankor's never ending shouts and came to see what all the fuss was about. It was a great experience roleplaying with him.

Your character really did make a difference in the game world when you spent enough time in it. I feel like this is Illarion's winning attribute.

Once again, as mentioned by other players, the way the skill system was set up had a counter-intuitive effect and ended up penalizing everyone but the most determined powergamers. This discouraged me.

Unfortunately, the answer to this question for me is something that I'm sure the Illarion team is already working very hard on. A larger, more active playerbase would certainly encourage me to play more. It's hard to get into the game when there are less than 10 players online at any given time I'm on.

Regardless of whether I end up playing Illarion again, I just want to say that I had a really great time roleplaying with everyone here and it was an experience that contributed to the person I became as I grew up.
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

Last edited by Kugar on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Kugar wrote:

I'de like to add, that wither you agree with me or not, this game is not even a fraction of what it used to be. I would be uncomfortable to use the word "dying", but this game, no, this "world" is falling defeat at the hands of those who know nothing about it. So, if you are reading this, common player, you can wander around and chat by camp fires and kill red skeletons until your skills go yellow - you have no idea what illarion is and can be, and if you do, you are doing it a disservice with every click. This game , this "world", was built upon passion and story-telling. Well, and if you cannot accept that, or think I am talking a load of bull, then good luck to you. And good luck to the future of Illarion!
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

I agree with Kuger. I may not exactly be experienced enough to fit in with the "Older players" but I came to this game 2008 and will be the first to say that I was TERRIBLE (more so than now).
Quickly I found 3 characters, Joxia, Jefferson and Taliss. I was amazed at what they created for me, like Kuger I slipped into Illarion.
For months I just followed people around, hearing their story. From the battle scars to political interests of nations, people actually put time into their background stories. Portrayed towns and cities beyond the game. PEOPLE ACTUALLY USED TO PRAY!!!!!!
Now there's a few people who came up to me and said "wot are u doing?" This actually made me feel quite suicidal....
People don't look into the history of their nations. They play Serinjahs who are naturally efficient in being a tank and wearing heavy armour. I'm not making sense....
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I wish to thank everyone that has taken the time to give thought provoking answers to the questions posted here http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =1&t=36065
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Looked like fun. Looking for RP.

Few deployments, Few times when the RP had degraded to monkies with coconuts. But overall fine. I've been playing on and off for 6 years now

I come back periodically to see if things have improved. Looks fine now. Also the VBU is a big draw.
Lich wars. Standing the line at the gates of the Rose with the Kallahorn knights was quite fun.
Quite the potential. No Skill limits. Unique

Possibility of Horrid RP. Most GMs tend to be German timezone. Skills are harder to level than most other RP servers.

The VBU seems to have it right.

Not really.

I realize this topic has potential for abuse so ask you all to be civil and not mention ANY names or chars negatively being very general in your answers with that aspect.

(( if anyone would be so kind as to translate this for the german players would greatly appreciate it! ))
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

I was just looking for online rpgs to play. It was the summer holidays and I was bored.

I must have quit and returned several times over the years. There's been a number of reasons for it. Sometimes the game just gets stale and you get bored. Sometimes the community or events ingame piss you off enough that you leave. Sometimes you just get pre-occupied with other things and it falls to the wayside.

I know the game. I know the game very well. I am comfortable with it and know the systems and the way it works in and out. There's years of experience and ability that I simply don't have with any other game, and I know it would take years to gain with another. The main draw however is that you can make a story in the game. You can make a difference to the world. You are not a faceless drone that completes the same 'epic' world saving quest as the 10,000 others before him. What you do and who you are matters in Illarion and that is essentially the whole point of the game. That's why we put up with all the other crap. Because even years later people speak the name Nalzaxx with a hushed awe and they talk of the Temple with fear and wonder. It isn't just some made up nonsense that was written by someone who had to write some lore for a game. It actually happened, the events actually played out, and better yet, I was part of them. If I go play WoW then the main characters in the game are some NPC chump. In Illarion WE are the main characters in the game. The factions we warred against weren't endlessly spawning NPC mobs with a loose backstory, they were actual factions led by real people and populated by real players. The towns we sought to control were led by real people and not Uther the Unkillable NPC. It's politics, it's intrigue, it's changeable.

I've so many I can't even begin to list them. Obviously a lot of the early Temple stuff with Nalzaxx was great, and the later stuff with Verdazar was also awesome. Though I think the best laughs were had just messing about with Matt on our random adventures. Starting a war with Silverbrand because we couldn't find the altar of Bragon comes to mind, but so, so many others too.

All the points listed above.

Too many to list. I've banged on about them for years now to no avail.

More emphasis on allowing us to create our own stories and shape the world. Less frustrating game mechanics and less of a mercenary attitude towards everything. A lot of the community thinks the best way to fix problems with Illarion is to tell players to suck it up and get on with it, I don't agree. I want to see more pragmatic solutions implemented and more experimentation with what works, rather than what people think should work.

The VBU greatly concerns me. I don't want to discourage the devs from their work but I think they are paddling in completely the wrong direction. Don't turn Illarion into generic mmo #2552. Fix the frustrations but not at the expense of what really matters for the game. Don't fill it with generic fetch quests and rinse and repeat nonsense. Don't take the players out the towns and the factions and fill them with NPCs. Don't write the lore of the world and set it in stone before we even play the game. We need to find better ways to facilitate what is good with the game, not abandon it completely. Think EVE and not WoW.
Logrin Parr

Post by Logrin Parr »

Dusted off the old login and put down dwarf fortress to reply to this...

Why did you start playing, what were you looking for? To be quite honest I haven't the slightest idea how it was I stumbled upon Illarion for the very first time, but will remain thankful for whatever happenstance it might have been. Illarion was my first forray into earnest roleplaying, a hobby that I now substantially enjoy.

If you quit, why did you quit playing and how long did you play before quitting? Why indeed! Like many illarionites I'd already invested a good sum of my previous leisure time, more than a year at the very least. While I can say without hesitation that Illarion is an absolute marvel (I know of no other english/German rp enforced game built from the ground up) it was really the little things that drove me away. Fishing for treasure maps and throwing away the catch, the glacial skill gain (so tedious I simply did without those bothersome 'skills' for the most part) and of course having to devote a good fifteen minutes or more just to walk anywhere without a teleportation dais

What made you come back to try to play again and did you stay or leave again, if so why? Again, it was the little things. After leaving Illarion I moved on to a UO shard known as Khaeros. Lucky enough to join during its hayday under the guidance of founder/creator Eufron it was without question my finest rp experience to date. To digress I found my way back to Illarion after a steady decline in the hands of less able overseers rendered it all but unplayable. Sadly, a UO shard had ruined me to suffering what were once minor misgivings about the Illarion's current user friendliness.

What is/are your best time in the game, your best memory? I would say it was two fold. First, I loved that it was possible and indeed very enjoyable to beg for alms as a simple monk. What little that a passer by could be convinced to spare was more than enough to live modestly. Though my fondest memory was perhaps authoring the tongue-in-cheek guide "How to be a simple monk"

Positive aspects of the game: Foremost, roleplaying. Few do it any better. It doesn't matter that the world is 'stock fantasy' its stock fantasy done well. That orcs are more than just green barbarians and lizards are more than people with scales. That magic can be shunned, feared, coveted and controlled. Quite frankly the fact that mages kept their secrets close guarded (often to the anomosity of a great many players) was great, pretty much the most fleshed out organization that Illarion offered really.

Negative aspects of the game: What I disliked the -most- out of the current system was that with time older players could progressively become masters of everything. (One need not even 'powergame' against the skill game, as it would occur naturally over a long enough time, more on that below) Slow travel in the wilderness, Slow skill gain, ghost system and a slew of more minor or previously listed gripes.

What would you like to see as far as general game direction and would this encourage you to play more? In my experience, limiting a character to a number of maximum learning points to be gradually deposited into their skills would do wonders for Illarion's feel. Sure, a warrior could learn enough blacksmithing to hone an axe or repair his armor, but would be a fool not to seek out a master smith. Take my word for it, more defined roles are great for a rp. I think housing could be reworked, while a mapper would still place the house and furnishings the owner should be able to lock down certain personal touches. A baker could for instance place bread, or a rolling pin via special command once dropping said item. Do away with the ghost system entirely unless a character has actually been permakilled, and even then a prone graphic would do a bit better. I find my imagination more easily stretches to "This wild animal attacked me and I've managed to escape with injury" than "People die and ressurect routinely" It wouldn't hurt to put in more racial abilities later on either. (Such as elves running a bit faster, lizards swimming ((finally)) or dwarves doing something dwarvenly.) But that's a long ways off I'd wager. And yes, I do plan to give the VBU a try.

Other: Anything to add? I've been keeping an eye on Illarion ever since word of the VBU trickled into my ear. More than just nostalgia I have high hopes in this being my next great roleplaying endeavor. Roleplaying I should like to say has matured and improved in my time away from this wonderful community. I would attribute that to playing in a more clearly defined world with a deadly serious political landscape. Though to be fair illarion is still in developement and being built from the ground up, rather than simply an extensive modification of the late/great UO. What you have hear is something special, and increasingly rare in this day and age. Hopefully I can look forward to being a part of it again.
Drathe
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Post by Drathe »

What were you looking for?
A game with presentable graphics, free and not the same old generic hack and slash, skill gain grind, fetch me this quest for 50 coins and a 5% skill bonus. (This was over 10 years ago mind).

Why did you start playing?
I found what I was looking for in Illarion and so much more. A true sandbox ORPG that the community nurtured like a rose garden. The lack of mechanics and graphics only added to the imagination, creativity and sense of commune.

I’ve never quit playing, just had times when I have been too busy to play or commit to any great length of time.

I’ve never truly left the game to come back. But, “They always come back.” (Those that get it and become part of the gestalt). Even those who abuse the game and are quite rightly pushed out (or try to). Simply because there is nothing else like, nothing else.

Too many to say, 10 years worth of an ever changing game and dynamic community. But I’ve had some great, great times, fun and e-friends.

It's true sandbox nature, small scale, steadfast roleplay standards and simple but detailed enough story/lore to give players the ability to create a detail and depth of their own choosing, but at the same time, has a believable grounding to it. You don’t have to read a biblical amount of lore to jump in play and be accepted.

(Yes I say accepted, because those who play, put time, effort and heart into the characters, roleplay and atmosphere make the world ‘those’ new players come into and want to stay for. (Or not as it seems, although I think that's more to do with game mechanics). They should mould to us, we should not snap to fit them. That is not to say we are not tolerant, sometimes overly to our detriment as a community and game. There are hundreds of same old shit rpgs for people to play, there is one ONE Illarion.)

Graphic! In the ever growing world of the generic 3d MMORPG, good isometric is becoming something of a nostalgic novelty. But for the nature of Illarion it is PERFECT, it’s what gives the game its charm, a huge percentage of its identity and its functionality.

Text, the way it’s handled i.e. Character speech and actions is also something I love. It is clear, concise and very effective for the nature of the game. Ultima Online and its many shards, you eyes will bleed trying to read that shit font and colours player choose for their speech will look familiar in your peripheral vision as you fight off a migraine. It also gives you as a player so much scope to give life to your character with the #me action. So good. No world/globe chat spammed with shit *thumbs up.* There is the IRC page for that.

Towns and dungeons always seem to look like ‘game maps.’ There seems to be very little in the way of grounding, functionality or natural inhabitant development for many of the layouts. Maybe I like a little too much air of realism to give the fantasy a more lived in feel?

The same old crafting, druid and mage comments that have been thrashed to death. I like the idea and HOW it works, I don’t like the magnitude of items/players needed to MAKE it work.

A lack of GM activity. For me it’s not really about massive quests, but the little player requests and ad-hock things that give a little smile when a player sees it, or is given a little help in an idea or action they are playing. It’s these things that add to the atmosphere, drive and enjoyment of many players day in day out. Big quests are good, great even, some players like them. But I think ALL players like a little friendly, creative GM recognition ~just~ for them. And PLEASE, no more old demon/dragon quests for Bane. If another demon prince or dragon burns the tavern down having attacked Bane I just, well I don’t know. Trollsbane is a tiny little backwater poop of a town no one has a house to live in, there is nothing of value or power there, why? Just why?

I have been very fortunate (I think) to have seen the game grow and grow with it. There were no golden days for all were and are golden days. (You will find ‘golden’ times differ greatly dependant on what era of player you ask. ;) But in all the change and direction Illarion as a game has stayed fundamentally a small scale sandbox RPG
This is what makes the game, what so many of those who take the time to say, LOVE. It does not and never will bring in a huge player base and because of the energy needed to put into characters and the time (which puts the energy into the game and atmosphere), those that do play will come and go to recharge because of it.

The VBU concerns me as a whole heartedly selfish player because from what I see (I could be making a flawed opinion here). I think it takes the games scale, ambition and footings too big. The Sandbox ideology where anyone can scoop at the sand and create something for themselves or for all, is becoming, or will become very similar to the same old MMORPG playground with the same old swings and slides they all have. I believe (and I hope I am wrong) that it will not give boon to many more new players staying and adding to the game because there are playgrounds 2 a penny that are better equipped and far more brightly coloured (to hide the generic dullness). That and I dare say most of them will be too busy running from NPC to NPC completing quests, rather than enjoying the fundamental idea of what Illarion is or possibly was by then.

I think time and energy would have been better spent making this the best damn sandbox with the most malleable sand that ever was. NPCs for mundane tasks, i.e shop keepers an d few static quests no more. Make better what we have, tweak, polish, buff and fix and maybe just a little, a little, more map scale. The lore, races all the foundations are fine, good, just need a few of the cracks filled and sanded. I hope I made sense when I talk about the game as a sandbox. I’m sure the Dev’s know what they are doing I can only speak from what (and probably flawed) knowledge I have. But I like the game small, I like games quality and I like that there is nothing else like it. This game as they go is home.

Long Live Illarion.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

I quit another game (one that was based on PG) and was looking for something else. I first got lost in the TB library and then ran into Udan Trollbane, rest is history.
Personal reasons and career. I guess you could say I played like 10 years or so, on off.
Too much alcohol, career and not enough time. I am probably not coming back.
The cromwells, definitely.
Havent played for a long time.
Havent played for a long time.
I hope that Illa staff will recognize the game's positioning as a RP niche game instead of trying to take bigger games head on.
I love you people.
Miraci Ruhn

Post by Miraci Ruhn »

I was a kiddo at age 12/13. I was looking for a fun game to play, having just come off of Runescape-land. ;) I didn't know anything about RP, but I read the player's guide and such thoroughly, so even though I sucked at it I wasn't entirely clueless when I began. Now at age 20, it all looks so bright and distant.

I've "quit" multiple times over the course of 7 years, mostly by just sort of fading out and coming back in again later. Not really a conscious choice. Just happens.

I've left multiple times. I'm not sure why. Something else in life takes precedence, and Illarion loses out? I forget for a while, then remember, then feel embarrassed for not having been on, then stay away a while longer...

My best memory in the game is the wonderful circumstance having one of my characters wrapped up in manipulative conspiracy between Trolls Bane and the Temple, neither parties knowing that the character was in contact/had secret advisory status with the other party.

Potential for great story. Characters who never get old :D Also llamas.

Wacked up druid system and terrible "class" suggested stats. I RP'd a character through his role despite (or maybe because of?) utterly useless stats. Took mind-numbing years of endless grinding to actually achieve any engine-supported claim to his character type. Can be hard to get by on purely RP sometimes. Also... llamas.

Revamp of the druid system, which I see is in the works. Druids are one of my favorite "classic RPG" classes, and I tried to incorporate a bit of their color into the rather lacking Illarion version of them with one of my characters.

Without a doubt Illarion will remain one of my most memorable experiences ever. Who knows... maybe I'll even start appearing IG again. :)
Brendan Mason

Post by Brendan Mason »

I started playing because I was really bored during school, in a tiny town, with absolutely nothing to do.

I started playing because I wanted to pwn with ALL DA MAGIKS, in a free, reasonably attractive environment. I then realised that I enjoyed RPing, quite a bit indeed.

I had several characters on the go for a few years. Then I somehow became a GM and that was cool too. I took it way too seriously though, and burned out quite quickly. This, combined with starting college led to my eventually fading from the game.

Plain and simple, nostalgia. But the old haunts where one could be certain to find players seem completely empty now. Standard of roleplay also seems to have dropped and any time I've been online, if I do find people, it's impossible to try and slide into their existing roleplay. I suppose I should give it a bit more of a chance sometime.

The happy days of the Darlok drought. Good times. Also, being a Silverstar Merchant. And all the founding of Greenbriar shenanigans.

Inexplicably small player-base in relation to the quality of the product presented. It's an astoundingly polished game in a lot of respects and I'm sure the VBU will only improve that. Illarion deserves more players and makes me very sad seeing dross like Runescape enjoying television ads these days.

I'm so far removed from the reality of this game these days that I couldn't possibly add anything productive. My bi-annual dips into the game really aren't enough!

Stay cool Illarion.

Thorwald

Post by Thorwald »

Eine kleine Bitte da ich immer noch kein Englisch kann ;)
Würde die einzelnen Punkte bitte einer Übersetzen .. vielen vielen Dank :
Golwenor

Post by Golwenor »

An alle alten Spieler,
könntet ihr bitte meine Neugierde stillen?

Solltet ihr bereits, seit über drei Jahren, an dieses Spiel beteiligt sein, so würde ich mich über die Antworten folgender Fragen freuen.
Da solch ein Thema durchaus einen Nährboden für möglichen Streit bieten kann, bitte ich euch nett zu bleiben und keine Charnamen im übertriebenen negativen Sinne zu erwähnen und lediglich generelle Aussagen zu geben.

Warum habt ihr zuerst gespielt, nach was habt ihr in diesem Spiel gesucht?

Solltet ihr aufgehört haben zu spielen, was war der Grund und wie lange habt ihr vor dem Aufhören gespielt?

Wenn ihr noch einmal zurückgekommen seid, seid ihr dann geblieben oder habt ihr das Spiel erneut verlassen, wenn ja, warum?

Welches Ereigniss hat euch am besten gefallen, welches ist eure geliebteste Erinnerung?

Positive Aspekte von Illa:

Negative Aspekte von Illa:

Welche Entwicklung des Spieles würdet ihr bevorzugen und würde euch solch eine Entwicklung zum spielen verleiten?

Falls ihr noch weitere Kommentare habt, dann nur zu.

Ich hoffe das hilft unseren deutschen Spielern weiter.

Thanks! copied and added to the first post also :D
Achae
Felbion Lijawyn

Post by Felbion Lijawyn »

Older Players
Satisfy my curiosity?

I was looking for a new home after the lotgd-server I used to play on had been shut down but I've got no idea how I finally got to Illa. (I think it was around march 2004)
I had been playing my first character (also a mage) for about one and a half years and was stupid enough to perma-kill him off cause I was pissed for a few hours (Hey, I was young :D) :P After that I got so frustrated everytime I wanted to log in and couldn't play my mage that I just stopped playing after about two more months.
fWhat made you come back to try to play again and did you stay or leave again, if so why?
Boredom really and I kind of missed some of the POs I'd been playing with. I did quit again due to a pretty long hospitalization then came back and quit again because of other RL issues. I've been back the fourth time for about 2 weeks now.
Probably the war between Silverbrand and Trollsbane when Negyth and Boindil used to quarrel with Steven and Arameh :P

Mostly a super nice, very versatile community and the possibility to come up with and play pretty much anything you can imagine ig.
There used to be a lot of issues with communication between the Staff and the Player Base but from what I can tell that has really improved a lot or maybe I'm just more mature now I don't know :P Other than that the only thing i can think of is probably the unbearably massive amount of time you have to invest in pg if you'd like a character who has decent skills. That's a problem especially with magic skills and crafting imo.
I'd love it if we could have a basic lore for Magic which teachers have to (!) base their lessons on. It'd also be awesome if players could stick to the race background more when they make a character but I fail a lot at that myself so :P
Duchan and Avariniah (I'm not even sure if that's how the name was spelled anymore, you#ve been gone too long!) I reaaaally really miss you T_T
Boremier

Post by Boremier »

Now THIS is a forum topic, so much so that I logged in for the first time in (what feels like) a hundred years. Right, let's do this!

Well I was (like many) searching for a free to play MMO, what I found was Illarion. This also helped me find something else I was searching for: ESCAPISM. Illarion turned out to be one of the most enjoyable experiences I had while playing with other gamers online.

It really helped me through a difficult period in my life, allowing the fantasist and creative aspects of myself out. I enjoyed the creative and unique RPing especially.

I'm not really sure why I quit, maybe I didn't have the time anymore or maybe I was burnt out. I remember trying to come back a while after to find my original character deleted...after that I pretty much lost the will to continue, I'd experienced so much with 'Boremier' that it felt strange creating or playing as another.

As to how long I played for I..err...can't really remember, it definitely wasn't a short amount of time that's for sure.

When I attempted to make a return (as I mentioned a moment ago) I did so because I missed the atmosphere, the fellow players and the downright fun
I had RPing with everyone.

As cliched as it sounds, there really are so many fantastic memories. I remember starting my own guild, friendships with the likes of Ezorock and Hermie the Halflings, Sevious Helios, Cain Freemont and many many others. I experienced my fair share of Orc attacks, the infamous drought which was instigated as some devilish plot by Darlok (if memory serves me well...I think).

But if I had to choose one that topped them all, it was an experience that I barely logged into the gameworld to experience, and that's the epic quest a group of us took part in along with Sevious Helios. The majority of that story arc took place primarily on the RP board...and man was it ever awesome.

I've practically mentioned them all but it can't hurt to list them:

The atmosphere
The characters
The forced RPing
The simplistic graphics
That DAMN music
(and of course) THE EXPERIENCE.

Pretty much what most people have said, such as that gawd-damn skill system. It really felt like an insane amount of free-time would have to be invested into succesfully training a character. And then there was the char-wipe...urgh. Like I mentioned previously, when my original character was wiped I pretty much stopped playing.

If some of the old guys and gals came back, I'd return in an instant. I genuinely miss it all.

IMISSLATENIGHTILLARION!!!!
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

Satisfy my curiosity?
For those that have been in the game off and on for a long time, am talking of over three years (which is not long to some I know )
March 2006 I think I signed in with Yridia

I was looking for a free RPG - playing head theatre - and was falling in love to this niche game

Lack of RP - All of my buddy's I used to play with had quit - I think I played more then 3 years

I tried for a while - had nice RP, but I doubt I can come back

I had a lot of great moments, drama and thrill in this game. Much more then I ever found again.
To say some in particular would be not fair. But Yridia as Leader of the Druids and Aleyty's where always most intense RP.
One of the last highlights are for sure the first *witch quest* in Illarion with Na-Chaya

Awesome RP'er - I learned a lot of english - for a niche game just exceptional
To long away to say more

The flame war's on the forums
Time consuming
But how it is now - I can't really say

I think it is still on a awesome way

Just- I never forgot you all *love hug* :)
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Alytys Lamar wrote: Other: Anything to add?
Just- I never forgot you all *love hug* :)
It's always good to see a post from you, even if neither of us really plays anymore. :)
Berengar

Post by Berengar »

About 10 years ago I found Illarion by coincidence after a rather disappointing Tibia experience and became immedately addicted :) And now that I think about it I think I ve been gone longer than I played..

I think I quit about 3 times for maybe 2 weeks to 2 months because of real life changes affecting my internet connection :P Then about 6 years ago I quit for real because I was way too addicted. I used to come home from college, quickly eat something while my pc was booting and stay on for hours either PGing when nobody else was around or waiting in front of the shop for interesting people to show up :) One day I decided "That's too much" and even had to delete my main char to stay off the drug :P

Curiosity for the VBU :) if I should stick around it will be only casually. Unfortunately I have way less time than in my college days to play.

Probably the "rebuilt" of Trollsbane after the char whipe and the lich wars. About anything including Pendar, Cul, Galim, PO Darren (all of his chars, especially Darkhen) and Nitrak. Special thanks to the latter two for giving us great villains to hate :)

The only game I ve ever played where you can be part of a story, get drawn into it and shape it as you go along.
It taught me English

Huge time consumption of imo the boring parts i.e. acquiring skills/gold. I remember the days waaaaay back when you could mine 10 tiles away from the shop and become a mastersmith in 2 days, which I admit was too easy. However, I didn't like the following idea of elitism, which seemed to influence more or less every change during the next years, especially when the magic system was implemented. To me the goal always seemed to be: we have a cool new feature, but we can't just give that to anybody. We need to punish the bad PGers and reward the good RPers.
Too much focus on restrictions, especially with this rather small but sensitive, empathic and great community... at least it used to be ;)

Gone too long, I don't feel qualified to answer this question :)
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

Honestly, I think that the very best rpers I have ever seen IG or read about on the boards has posted here. I've really enjoyed reading all of your thoughts and input.

I'd always loved RPGs growing up, but remember feeling like there was never enough depth to the characters or plot lines to sate my overly active imagination. It wasn't until college that I even knew MMORPGs existed. Of course like most students I was broke and wanted something free to play. During the ample free time I had during the Thanksgiving/Christmas break of 2006 I searched through hundreds of MMOs on various websites. That is when I found the treasure that was and still is Illarion.

I didn't really quit till after I graduated college and it was simply because I lost internet and RL demanded more from me and my time. There was a time that like some have said that the online list was so dead that I had to do something else. It was during that time that I found out about UO. I played a little game called Dark Ages II for a while but it was just not Illarion to me.

I knew I would not leave Illarion forever. How could I? The game had cultivated something in me that no other game had done before it. My imagination for the most part controls me and it needed to further develop my characters and create new ones. Plus I was a GM trying to get the English playing community IG more! It was soon after that when my internet was suddenly stripped from me and RL was dramatically changing.

Well it wasn't the first time I logged in... I was such a noob. Remember running around yelling at humans that I wanted their cape since my elf character didn't have one.

No my fondest memories of Illarion was of course in the beginning when Achae and Mark Strongarm taught me the ropes. Then of course the was my characters life as a mage, Eli, when it took an entire year (RL) to learn even his first spell. His friends (too many to name) and wife (Kaila) made for such fun roleplay. Then there was my time as a GM which I wish would have been more fulfilling to the community at large. That was my intention but it is hard to that when you don't have internet!

> Enforced roleplay but still open palette to create as you will.
> GM lead quests
> NPC creation possibilities
> Complexity of the fight system
> VBU (most importantly)

> Just not enough people IG sometimes
> Cliques over RP
> PGing over RP
> OOC abuse when things don't go right for POs IG

Time in my life. The game is so headed in the right direction!

Thank you all: staff, POs, and characters that have given me hours of -free- entertainment.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

i was bored out of my mind, so i searched for online roleplaying game. that was free to play. then i found illaheroin. and stayed for the roleplaying and good times. for two whole years i was addicted to this game. NOW it's the lack of #me being used by the newer players, and not being enforced by the older players. i quit because of the fact that i realized that illarion was no longer just a game, it was something i felt i HAD to play. and that was a very bad thing. i didn't play illarion for...a couple of months, then came back to discover the decay of roleplay that had happened since i last vissited. so i left again. and have been coming back on and of for some time now. deleted my man characters, Turga and Ram, when someone called me a pedophile rapist because i was attempting to import a chinese bride.... i still regret that move. hehehehe, my best time in the game? do you really need to ask? the orcs ob da northern mountains of course! hanging out in the cave with Jag and Murgo or just walking around roleplaying with them was awesome, the "who can take the most fireballs to the face" competition is one of my favorite memories.

posite aspects of the game? well, good roleplaying.... and that's about it.. bad things? basically what HolyKnight wrote: just not enough people IG sometimes
> Cliques over RP
> PGing over RP
> OOC abuse when things don't go right for POs IG

and probably a whole lot more that i just can't remember right now.

ehm...the game direction? :P it's okay, just let me *EXTREME CENSOR* save pre written text for my character description. ammong other things. a bloody manual that actually is updated to fit the very big update! :P

no nothing more to add..other than that people need to use #me more often, if not i will grow bored and leave again. yeah, i know you don't care. but, seeing the decline in roleplaying, the LACK of roleplaying when this game WAS really good and fun. and now it's nearly gone. i guess that's evolution for ya, huh?
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

• I had spent enough time slogging through various text-based RP chat channels and was looking for a graphical outlet to match my creative interests. I had stories to express and I wanted to hear/co-create stories from/with others. In addition to this, I was on a bit of a bender with regard to free rpgs and Illarion came under my radar on some sort of free rpg game list. Somewhere around the end of the year 2001 I logged in and, upon seeing the clunky game firsthand, promptly logged out and deleted Illarion. I came back to it again on a whim in early 2002 and actually gave the game a chance. Ultimately, it turned out to be a lot better than I anticipated. Or I adapted to the game to fit my needs. One of the two.
  • I've quit a few times; generally my playtime was 2-4 years between breaks and with varying degrees of involvement. Either I got frustrated with something regarding the game/community, burnt out in general, or life called me away to do something else.
  • Its in my blood now, stupid as that sounds. When you commit to something off and on for the better part of 10 years it doesn't just go away. Every time I come back it is with the hope that the reason for my departure is no longer present. Usually its something on the forums that is linked to me, or something that I hear from other old-fart players whose blood still pulsates with the RP juice. I'm not sure just yet what my reason is for coming back this time. Curiosity, I guess; seeking out that co-creation of stories.
  • Campfires. Always and forever. Three-by-one campfires in the forest south of Troll's Bane with people gathered around and not an open seat to spare. Yet people still gathered and got involved. Need to make more room? Just scoot over a person at one end, add a campfire, and resume. Characters told their stories to other characters either by way of literal storytelling or by simply reacting and responding to the stories of others. Sometimes these were rehearsed, often it was on the fly. A main hub city like Troll's Bane guaranteed that there was always something going on (even if it was as simple as a spur-of-the-moment game of King of the Roof, or Paul Laffing dying/running madly down the streets for the 400th time that day). There was a lot more 'community' in those days of loose-rp and high emotions and it was reflected in-game far better than the forum posts of that era can express. I have a lot of good memories that I cannot put to words, yet are very simply borne of people being people.
  • There is a lot of quality RP still going on when I can find it. That's the biggest positive this game can possibly have, given its purpose. From a strictly mechanical standpoint, the VBU felt like a big step forward. Moving in 8 directions without dragging myself and sprinting 2 tiles at a time are both neat features. There is a lot of space to fill with an expanding playerbase (though this seems to be a double-edged sword currently).
  • I'm sure I will catch flak for this, but the map is just too large given the current size of the playerbase. As I said in another thread: Its like a small group pretending to be a large community by trying to be everywhere all at once. And the end result is sparse amounts of players sprinkled here and there. Maybe I am coming on during the absolute wrong times, but I have yet to see more than 3 or 4 people gathered at any one place for any length of time even in situations where I see more than 15 players on.

And where is Illapedia? And all the mainland content that was written a while back? Considering there is no more Gobaith, this information is more relevant now than it ever was and yet I cannot find a single, solid source of information. Not even the ending of Gobaith has a tangible explanation written anywhere. "You had to be there" doesn't really cut it for anyone who wasn't there. The only available in-game information that has anything to do with Illarion seems to just continually point back to the three factions in an endless, isolated loop as if we are just on a bigger version of Gobaith. I've dug through books trying to find information, but even that has turned up fruitless. If I had access to the backstory that was developed for the mainland, I would gladly write books for in-game purposes so I could at least contribute something.
  • I want to see big gatherings of players that aren't just there because of established player/official quests. Player quests are great, don't get me wrong, but coming into town to socialize and interact organically feels like it doesn't exist since my recent return. Coming into town to "find someone to spar with after light banter," however, is an abundant occurrence indeed.

If I could look at the online list (or alternatively, reliably be able to use the "Where is the RP at" thread as a source of information) and know I could get involved with at least 3 or 4 of the people currently online just by going to a major town and playing my character as he should be played.. that would be the biggest encouragement I could get to play more often. No amount of VBU content, mechanical systems, or other features compare to that feeling.
  • I could be (and probably am) misjudging a lot simply due to my lack of exposure to all three factions in equal parts, but I'm attempting to rectify that. I am optimistic even though my recent experiences haven't been pretty.

Love,
Cain
TheVagabond

Post by TheVagabond »

- I started playing a week before the client change between "very old" and "old" back in... 02 or 03. I had just moved across country and lost all my D&D buddies.. I was twelve? Really into Runescape, which I played with my D&D buddies when we wanted to just kick back and kill stuff. My sister was a big old nerd and started playing illarion, but I was pretty good at mechanics and stuff, so (yes, I know it was rule breaking - actions that I regret) I would powergame for her. I never really thought about rping online, but the few times I ran into people while PGing for her, it was really fun. So I started using the account more and more, and she moved back to Guam with her biological father (we had different dads). So I took her account over after about a year or so.

- I was a regular for quite some time after the character wipe, so I was around for several years. I found out about Ultima Online private shards (enforced rp) and started playing a few of those, and their mechanics were much more interesting, as well as the rp for the most part. Illarion has always punished you for taking the time to improve your characters skills, while at the same time making it as hard as possible to do it. It always felt like I was being set up for failure. I mean, in UO you generally had skill from 0-100. Getting between 50-70 was generally something you could do in a week give or take, and it allowed you to be adept at the skill. In combat terms, it let you survive leaving town, and kept your safe from most of the standard monsters so long as you didnt go into dungeons or really dangerous areas. In illarion, you get sodomized by flies for 1-3 months unless you "powergame", which gets you in trouble.

Compounded onto this, they went and changed up the way you got magic (guardians to teaching) which was a royal bummer, because I was one of the most powerful magic users prior to the char wipe (could kill ogres in 2-3 hits with my staff, and they'd insta die in my ice-fire)... When I tried to get my skills back, I was pinged by staff and challenged to do something other then a combat char... So I obliged them, and they seem genuinely pleased by my efforts after a couple months. Went back to the grind after that...

Point is, the grind, then the punishment for the grind is what threw me off and made me stop playing.

-I've come back over the years just because I miss this place. Every time I come back, I quickly remember why I left. Hell it seems like character progression gets harder and harder every time I come back. This time around, I come back and Gobaith is gone, there are these things called Cadomyr, grimlael, and ruddernik (or something), and a massive map full of mobs who want to eat me...while at time same time I , once again, don't have access to my magic (and being a pure magic user this time around, I don't have melee skills to defend myself)... So yea, besides that it seems I joined the wrong town when I finished the tutorial thing with my old char... 'cause I don't think there are very many people in runerick that speak english, at least not as far as I've seen.

-When I first started playing. Arkadia, Konstantin, Fooser, Aristaeus, Athian, Jeremey, Grunith, and a couple other oldies all kept me from leaving. I was part of the founding of Varshikar with Athian, Aristaeus, Sian, Aeggie, and the others. Those were good times, too. Edit:Almost forgot about Callith, Moathia, Shan, and Gannon....

Oh oh oh. When I single handedly saved trollsbane from the Blood Skull clan. Was when they were at one of their strongest points, too. They had Veralion, Lorke, George, Grunnith, Kaja, and some others. Galim (the dwarf) tried to say he did something, but he actually ran and hid in Eliza's shop. That was a good day.

Onionball! A game we borrowed and adapted to different UO shards, in memory of Illarion.

-Its an addiction. I relapse a lot, so it has to have SOMETHING about it. I just can't place my finger on it.

-Skill gain rate. Needs to be faster.
-Map Size (To big/to many towns)
-Don't know anyone anymore.
-Want me durn magic back. Hurmph.
-To many monsters spawned. Why the heck was I attacked by a freakin' little ass fox? That made me chortle, then came the *hand of forehead* "Oh dear" moment.

-The above fixed. Though I am one of many, so I wouldn't expect the game changed for me just to make me come back. I'm not naive.

-Nerp!