Tactics and Dodge

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Tactics and Dodge

Post by Pendar »

So when I played we did not have tactics and dodge could only be gained by levels of power levelling I could not be bothered with....

So what role does dodge now play,
I seem to notice it now plays a part when fighting with two handed weapons?
So blocking is for shield and dodge is for two weapon or two handed weapon fighting?

This would be useful to know as obviously its not going to pay me to get weapon selection wrong against any larger mob.

Tactics clearly effects the damage you take when attacked by multiple mobs and probably serves as a defence and damage modifier?

Thanks
Boomer

Re: Tactics and Dodge

Post by Boomer »

"Tactics" describe how often your character is able to land critical hits.
"Blocking" describes how good your character can avoid a hit by using objects, such a shields or weapons.
"Dodge" describes how good your character can avoid a hit without using any object, so mobility is critical for this skill.
Athian

Post by Athian »

And here I am again

Tactic's actually has to do with how efficiently your character uses his or her movepoints in combat, this actually has a few benefits:

The fewer movepoints you use per action the faster you swing your weapon

The fewer movepoints you use per action the more you have left over to dodge and parry with (which is why multiple enemies are less trouble)

The few movepoints you use per action the sooner you are able to run from an enemy

etc etc.

Dodge is exactly as said before, it has to do with your ability to completely avoid an attack.

Tactics has the primary attribute of intelligence
Dodge has the primary attribute of Agility

Dodge,parry and tactics come into play any time your in combat no matter what weapon combination you use. Depending on the stats of your weapon (its movepoint usage and defense power and attack power) You may find that some weapons work better for your character then others. For example characters with less Agility will dodge much less often then those with high agility. If they don't have a lot of constitution for taking hits perhaps they should consider using a weapon that provides more parry. At the moment most players are fixated on weapons that go the fastest, if you experiment around a bit you should see what weapons/shield compliment your characters defenses best.

and that's all folks.
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

Tactics is influenced by int, I like it.

Does that mean that a low int character will cap at a lower level, or that a low intelligence character simply cannot use tactics as much?

Thanks for the information it all makes a lot more sense now.
Athian

Post by Athian »

A matter of efficiency

Just like having higher Agility makes you better at dodge, higher intelligence makes tactic's more effective. Mage character's effectively have Excellent tactic's potential and your average warrior(since most warriors actually have intelligence on an extreme low end) have pretty piss poor tactic's. Thankfully since other attributes play a strong role in fighting however, just having excellent tactic's alone won't make an awesome warrior.

At the moment Intelligence also effects the learning capacity of characters. So having low intelligence sadly does make it all the more difficult to skill yourself since you will cap faster depending on how many actions you are doing at once. When you are fighting even if you don't think your character is doing a lot, a bunch of skills are in use. dodge/parry/tactic's/weapon skills are all active when in combat. Depending on what enemy you are fighting one or more of these things may be gaining skill at once. Obviously the more of them skill gaining at once the faster you'll cap; this is especially true when you have low intelligence.
Pendar

Post by Pendar »

Thanks for your time responding Athian.

Without trying to turn this into a discussion forum, I'll just add that as a returning player the new system sounds great and seems to allow for a lot more build variety. I am actually rather impressed by it.
Thanks again
APassingStranger

Post by APassingStranger »

I'll bite where can one see the new system?
Pendar

Post by Pendar »

Thats the current system I am talking about its new to me though, I was last active around 2005-2006 properly so a lot is new to me ;) I like it