Poisoned weapons

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Arcatius

Poisoned weapons

Post by Arcatius »

I am not entirely sure how poisoned weapons function in this game. I was creating a character who would fight around the concept of poison, but I have been told by a friend that poison is not an effective weapon and always pales in direct combat. I was rather displeased to hear this, but I was curious as to whether or not this was due to his misunderstanding.

For reference, I am trying to work on a character that kills with the lingering poison effect, not the direct combat and that I would attempt to shy away from extended combat altogether if possible. If there is anyone with a detailed knowledge of poison weapons, I would like to know more about them and see if I should discontinue this character concept.
Juliana D'cheyne

Re: Poisoned weapons

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I am not quite sure how well it works at present myself, however if you wish to test it out, will be willing to meet your char in game. :P
Arcatius

Post by Arcatius »

As much as I would like to figure it out better, I am at not level to actually test it effectively. I am a beginner who is trying to get a concept down and after several failed character concepts I am to this one.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Well from my understanding of it

Poison weapons have there own poison values the upper end which is actually the under used snake sword (being the most poisonous weapon of all of them). The actual skill poisoning last i heard does nothing or next to nothing and really does not need to be trained. The delivery of poison to an enemy is by proc(action; in this case the proc happens via attacking) which is also controlled by the weapons values, along with other factors such as the number of accurate hits you make (more hits you land the more chances to poison)

Magic poison (YEG KEL) can stack to a certain degree
Weapon poison does not stack seem to stack

In head to head combat there are no or very little difference between a poisoned weapon and it's normal counterpart in most cases. for example a poisoned ornate dagger is just as damaging as an ornate dagger, but the former has the chance to poison you.

Poison damage does not seem to have any effect on monsters.

Killing with poison is relative to HP. high constitution characters hardly feel poison effects from the lesser level of poison (yes it comes in levels). I've seen characters with 16-20 con survive spider bites by doing nothing more then sitting still and keeping there character fed until it passed.

Poison works best against low constitution enemies. If you disengage from combat it gives them a chance to get rid of the poison. mage's for example will cure there poison using magic and warriors can drink a potion. You won't often find that poison kills the prepared person on it's own.

Perhaps if a GM or Dev happens by they can tell us what the poisoning levels are by name, and do the usual confirm or deny. :)
Arcatius

Post by Arcatius »

I very much appreciate that information.
Sir Gnar

Post by Sir Gnar »

~ One of my chars is maxed in the poisoning skill and it does absolutely nothing I can tell. I have experimented with every poisonous weapon available. Some have said it slows their healing while fighting but is easy to recover from. In my experience poisoned arrows do the most towards poisoning but still do close to nothing...
ThisGuy

Post by ThisGuy »

poisoning skill is more for sneaking up behind someone and forcing a poison down thier throat(higher skill longer they're poisoned). I said this somewhere before, but I can't remember where. if you plan to work with poison and want to kill someone with it, pouring it down thier throat works far better/faster than attacking them with a poisoned weapon...

poisoned weapons are just to give you a quick sneaky advantage in a fight, you'll still have to be able to fight to use them. Athian seemed to sum that part up pretty well.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

This makes me wonder whether poison will be reworked in the VBU or removed..
Athian

Post by Athian »

I believe but am not entirely still certain that the skill was going to be removed and the weapons were going to remain.

I Believe the poisoning scripts themselves are due for a rework as they are kind of funny in the way they work currently.