Buying habits

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

How often do you buy items your character doesn't use?

Always, i have to spend my endless silver coins somehow
17%
Sometimes, when the mood strikes me
59%
Never, how does that even make sense?
24%

Total votes: 41

Athian

Buying habits

Post by Athian »

Hey everyone.

I want to know how you all spend your coins in-game. While I know that technically everyone tends to buy only what they plan to use IG, I want to know how many players actively buy items for for RP sake or simply to get rid of coins.

If you do buy items at random, what do you buy and how much of it, also how regularly do you buy things in this manner?

If you don't, then why not? is it out of character for your character to do so? Is it a lack of coins, or perhaps just something that never crosses your mind?

A few answers is enough and no need to go into long explanations if you don't want to.
Devereux

Re: Buying habits

Post by Devereux »

i don't buy things i don't intend to use.

i personally find crafting dull so unless i go and kill a bunch of stuff i don't normally have a bunch of coin on hand.

sometimes i'm given coin for this and that (rp reasons and the like) but. that's how i operate.

if i buy something it's to use.

and normally if i can rp the usage of an item i will do so instead of actually buying it.
Katharina Brightrim
Cadomyr

Post by Katharina Brightrim »

Last edited by Katharina Brightrim on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

Reread the question and changed my answer though am not sure how to change the poll.

I never buy something I don't use.
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

I will buy things I don't need, especially to help someone that needs coin. I buy things that others may need. I keep things on hand that a new player may need. I give things away quite often so I'll keep things on hand for that purpose.
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

In this economy, I can't afford to spend my coins. I mean. I kill some dudes and all I get is a few coppers and then the all like one store in bane only has like crap weaps and I want like a sword. A cool sword and so I have to go to Northerot, but that sucks because theres only maces, so like, I melt the copper and tot-

sorry I was distracted by Uhuru's avvy :twisted:
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

Rarely. Very rarely.

Sometimes my characters buy some things that I can make some random use of from new players to help them with coin, even though I don't have any real need to do so, but unless my characters have some way to use the things they simply direct the other characters to someone who can make use of the items. Honestly, money can be extremely difficult to come by (assuming that you aren't PG items to sell or have high enough skills to go fight difficult monsters), so spending it on unnecessary items is a waste that they cannot afford. I do buy other items for nothing but RP purposes, but that almost never runs higher than a few "coppers".

Simply put, it is a matter of math on how much free money I have to spend on other things like that. Assuming a normal week where I don't go out on a splurge of activity that gains money, i make a bout 2 silvers in a week. Subtract about an average of 3 silvers on upkeep and replacement of items and I end up in the hole for around a silver. Hence why I can't spend more money in "interesting" or "fun" ways.
Caynwyn

Post by Caynwyn »

I buy things from new players and for new players usually when I can, mainly for RP reasons otherwise. IF I have the coin.
Pugnacious

Post by Pugnacious »

Sometimes

I do this just for the interaction between my characters and others. Maybe this is why my depot is always bursting and I am always running short of coin :)
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

I hoard money
Garon Goldhand

Post by Garon Goldhand »

I HOARD money
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

buyed a castel (all in all ~100gold) buyed a ship(~10Gold) buying endless stuff with nothing but RP use (~???Gold) like RP-jewlery or books :D
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

I buy RP only related items if I need them, though most of the things my characters keep on them for RP purposes only are gifts they've received.

Example A:
Quinasa wears a wedding ring, and she also keeps a ring Athian gave her in her belt pouch. She has a night angels blossom that never fades tucked into her belt or wrapped safely inside her bag, and she carries always a harp that is worn with age and use.

Example 2: Sicily is constantly having to buy pickaxes from NPCs, even though I RP that she has one trusty pickaxe that she adores and keeps maintained. Also if she sees something she likes but will never use and still wants to have just to have it, she will buy it if she has the money. She likes having things, even if they have no use but to be owned and looked at.

I don't have any characters that have a lot of money, so I don't have so much money that I require spending it. If any of my characters start to have an absurd amount of coins, I'll spend it on foods and tools, or start learning a new craft so that my character has an in game reason for spending the money.
Caldarion

Post by Caldarion »

I bought a harp
I buy food and/or ingredients
I buy raw gemstones to grind them (although nobody wants the product)
I buy herbs even when they are bad ones
Llama

Post by Llama »

One of my chars 'regularly' buys clothes just so he can throw away his old wardrobe and replace them.

I also like to give tailors and poor chars some money by overpaying them.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

normally i dont by useless things ( but there are not many useless things as i know )
:arrow: but often i give new players things they need as a gift (like bags, tools, clothes .....)
Skull'Fed

Post by Skull'Fed »

I always keep a certain amount of gold at hand, while the rest I spend whenever I see the oportunity. I don't hoard gold coins because I see no use of it. Also, for Skull, only a few items are useless.
Zak

Post by Zak »

I miss the option "Never. Why? Because I do not skill new chars (no time), thus they can hardly make much coin." :(
Rafael

Post by Rafael »

Borgate could buy a small nation with the money my char has spent in RP.
nathi

Post by nathi »

Rafael wrote:Borgate could buy a small nation with the money my char has spent in RP.
Only a small nation? :wink: 8)
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Rafael wrote:Borgate could buy a small nation with the money my char has spent in RP.
That's assuming that he hasn't spent it on things already for himself. :D
Copper Dragon

Post by Copper Dragon »

With one of my characters, she has the coin to spend and if it is within character she will buy useless things just to have. My other doesn't have a lot at the moment so she watches every copper she has. As time and character progress, things that catch her eye and she has the coin will be bought.
Banduk

Post by Banduk »

One char you know, bying and selling is his live ...
One other would be glad to have more money to by stuff.
The otheres are much to poor to spend a coin for anything.