Welcome to....

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Djironnyma

Welcome to....

Post by Djironnyma »

Salathe, he will help us by comming promotion videos :D
Salathe

Re: Welcome to....

Post by Salathe »

Alright well... Guess im in charge of this then :lol:

So the video we currently have is alright. *I* loved it, but *I* play illarion, so seeing all the new features and getting a sneak at the new music was great! But to a potential player, the video will come off as dull and uninteresting. And while I think the music is great, it wasnt created for a promotion, it was created as background music to fit to a certain area, and it really doesnt fit with the video IMO. The video outlines features that the VBU has that the current build doesnt, so it leaves out some really nice things which we have now, but stay the same (or similar) in the VBU. Most of the images have one person doing plain things. And the video doesnt even show a glimpse of the biggest aspect of this game... the RP!

Any trailer of illarion has to have this in every single clip of the video, it is why we all play the game, no one here plays illarion for the amazing smithing system, or the immersive fighting system ;D. So for any video made, I will need 5-10 players helping out creating scenes.

Now... either I can start with a video for what we currently have to get as many players ingame before the VBU as we can, and then release a new video or promotion when the VBU comes out... or we can just wait until the VBU comes out. I've no problem starting on what we have now.

The video should start off by featuring a character who has just started on the island, and shortly outline his experiences in an ongoing story while showing all the features we have. And a good draw for the video would be to take an event that has already happened in game. For whatever reason, the first one that comes to mind is dravish sacrificing arynne to become a lich. For example... the video shows the text "Create your own story" and begins with an clip of the player meeting people and saying why he came here. Then mention crafting and show the char beginning to mine/collect wood and then begin crafting. Then a text along the lines of "get involved" and follow it with a clip of another char rushing to ask for help to save arynne, the main char accepts. "explore a vast world" the group of chars going to save arynne set off with various clips of the desert/mountain/swamp/etc. "Fight for good" players show up and stand off against drahken and ravish. "Fight for evil" Dravish kills arynne and drahken gives him some evil power. "Wield magic" Show mages beginning the fight with some of the amazing magic graphics =D. Some text about melee fighters that I cant come up with and show players beginning to jump in and continue with this fight scene and create interesting scenarios that can happen when involved in a quest fight (fighters being back to back, running down a hallway to create a choke point for fighting a dozen demon skeletons, etc...).

Anyway... a really simple storyboard... but you get the idea, people need to know this is a RP game where players can get involved in very interesting storylines, and showing that through a video is very easy =).

Now If I could be pointed in the direction of where to see what kind of music we have available, that would be great. It would be good to use music that is being made for Illarion, but typically background music for games isnt what you want to use for a video like this... but I have no idea what music has been made! And I can also use BFM Digital, which has been more than friendly enough to let me use their music for videos i've already made and posted on youtube. These guys specialize in trailer music and have had their stuff shown in MANY trailers (Lord of the rings, star wars, transformer, pirates of the caribbean...). Since this isn't for profit it's very possible they'll let me use their music again. Something similar to this would be good for what I have in mind... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On1xDRWqc1E

And i've got some nice ideas for the VBU video as well, since i used to be on the VBU team. But i'll keep quiet on that one since there are some nice surprises coming with it =D.

Anyway... let me know what you think, or if a video for the current build is necessary. If so, all I'll need is some GM help for the scenes and 5-10 people to fill in on the scenes. Should only be 1 days work to get all the clips I want.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

You better contact Nitram on the music and also, you can ask when the new client is in a state that is close to "final" (=has a GUI). Shouldn't be too difficult to get a bunch of characters on the testserver and shoot some scenes then.
Po Will

Post by Po Will »

Salathe wrote:Alright well... Guess im in charge of this then :lol:

So the video we currently have is alright. *I* loved it, but *I* play illarion, so seeing all the new features and getting a sneak at the new music was great! But to a potential player, the video will come off as dull and uninteresting. And while I think the music is great, it wasnt created for a promotion, it was created as background music to fit to a certain area, and it really doesnt fit with the video IMO. The video outlines features that the VBU has that the current build doesnt, so it leaves out some really nice things which we have now, but stay the same (or similar) in the VBU. Most of the images have one person doing plain things. And the video doesnt even show a glimpse of the biggest aspect of this game... the RP!

Any trailer of illarion has to have this in every single clip of the video, it is why we all play the game, no one here plays illarion for the amazing smithing system, or the immersive fighting system ;D. So for any video made, I will need 5-10 players helping out creating scenes.

Now... either I can start with a video for what we currently have to get as many players ingame before the VBU as we can, and then release a new video or promotion when the VBU comes out... or we can just wait until the VBU comes out. I've no problem starting on what we have now.

The video should start off by featuring a character who has just started on the island, and shortly outline his experiences in an ongoing story while showing all the features we have. And a good draw for the video would be to take an event that has already happened in game. For whatever reason, the first one that comes to mind is dravish sacrificing arynne to become a lich. For example... the video shows the text "Create your own story" and begins with an clip of the player meeting people and saying why he came here. Then mention crafting and show the char beginning to mine/collect wood and then begin crafting. Then a text along the lines of "get involved" and follow it with a clip of another char rushing to ask for help to save arynne, the main char accepts. "explore a vast world" the group of chars going to save arynne set off with various clips of the desert/mountain/swamp/etc. "Fight for good" players show up and stand off against drahken and ravish. "Fight for evil" Dravish kills arynne and drahken gives him some evil power. "Wield magic" Show mages beginning the fight with some of the amazing magic graphics =D. Some text about melee fighters that I cant come up with and show players beginning to jump in and continue with this fight scene and create interesting scenarios that can happen when involved in a quest fight (fighters being back to back, running down a hallway to create a choke point for fighting a dozen demon skeletons, etc...).

Anyway... a really simple storyboard... but you get the idea, people need to know this is a RP game where players can get involved in very interesting storylines, and showing that through a video is very easy =).

Now If I could be pointed in the direction of where to see what kind of music we have available, that would be great. It would be good to use music that is being made for Illarion, but typically background music for games isnt what you want to use for a video like this... but I have no idea what music has been made! And I can also use BFM Digital, which has been more than friendly enough to let me use their music for videos i've already made and posted on youtube. These guys specialize in trailer music and have had their stuff shown in MANY trailers (Lord of the rings, star wars, transformer, pirates of the caribbean...). Since this isn't for profit it's very possible they'll let me use their music again. Something similar to this would be good for what I have in mind... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On1xDRWqc1E

And i've got some nice ideas for the VBU video as well, since i used to be on the VBU team. But i'll keep quiet on that one since there are some nice surprises coming with it =D.

Anyway... let me know what you think, or if a video for the current build is necessary. If so, all I'll need is some GM help for the scenes and 5-10 people to fill in on the scenes. Should only be 1 days work to get all the clips I want.

Completely agree. The video, whilst making most - if not all - Illaies excited wont do much for any new players.
The story line you suggested seems like the right direction, showing both the fighting/crafting side of Illa, instead of relying purely on fighter nonsense .

As for music, me thinks you should be the one to decide on what music should be used, gods know you have more experience than myself at least.
In regards to making one for now, or later. I'm not too sure. Normally, I'd say make one for the client we have at the moment, but then if a new player shows up, they might lose interest if things get the major overhaul.

So aye, I'd wait for the VBU.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Raena - she will help us mostly with translations she speaks native german but also very good english.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Djironnyma wrote:Raena - she will help us mostly with translations she speaks native german but also very good english.
Ah yes, forgot to mention that. I was thinking there should be 2 different videos with the exact same content, just each in a different language. Having both languages in one universal video is gonna be like a clusterfuck and mildly confusing
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

So now that it seems the VBU is near completion (omgz), I'll touch back on this.

I am still more than willing to work on this, but I am currently a full time grad student and don't quite have the time to run around the VBU beta to get great ideas (locations, new features, etc) for a promotional video. Finding a quality song we can legally use (or has a cheap license) and editing the video will eat up enough of my available time by themselves. My original thoughts were to have a heavy focus on the role playing aspect as that is what differentiates this game the most. Doing that is going to require a number of players (~5) and a GM to help create short (5 seconds max) but interesting scenes that will capture enough attention from viewers to get them to login and test the game out.

This really isn't something I am any longer capable of doing myself and will only be possible through a group effort. If this is something that the development/promotional team feels is worth while, then feel free to post here if you want to participate or provide ideas.

If this is indeed something the team wishes to pursue, a good starting point for me will be directions to acquiring all the music that will be implemented as well as the original file for the image used as a logo on the main page, or any potential logo or previous logo.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Salathe wrote:Finding a quality song we can legally use (or has a cheap license)
Do you know that Illarion will have its own music?
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

I think the best is you make the vidio with the notext of the beta client

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =1&t=37145
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Jupiter wrote:
Salathe wrote:Finding a quality song we can legally use (or has a cheap license)
Do you know that Illarion will have its own music?
Of course, but from the few pieces I've heard, it is mostly ambient music which is not ideal for a promotion. I did also ask at the end of my post for directions on how to get my hands on that music =)