GM Intervention

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

LorikQueens

GM Intervention

Post by LorikQueens »

Alright, I'm not so much of a noobie (or newbie) on Illarion, I just keep losing accounts for the forums and the main site like I do my car keys.

Let me start off with this: What do I mean by GM intervention?

What I mean is, a moment in time (or a series of moments) where the player's character can interact with a person, place, thing, or idea that a GameMaster has placed and actively commands.

From my experience with the game, which is far and few but stretched over a period of a few years, GM intervention seems to be low. Now that could just be with me and my characters or my lack of understanding as to what a GM truly does. So my question is, what constitutes GM intervention, beside disruptive acts?

Also, a second question to pose. I've been rather reluctant to use the "!gm" feature. I know for certain it has one reason: To call for help should your character be caught in some technical glitch or otherwise hopeless situation that renders RP to be non-existent. However, can this be used to call on a GM for roleplaying purposes? If so, when and how? Are there any other uses to the !gm feature? How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? What are the misuses of the !gm feature to avoid?

Gamemasters in my opinion have literally been extinct in my roleplay sessions for quite some time. Do I have a problem with that? Not at all. It would just might be a rather interesting experience to roleplay with a GM (even though in my opinion, my roleplay can be rather dull. :wink: ) at one point or another. That, and I needed to clarify the !gm feature's uses. Finding out in game is... eh... an entire conversation of OOC. And that's just no fun for anyone.
Achae Eanstray

Re: GM Intervention

Post by Achae Eanstray »

As far as quests in general, from my understanding and hope a GM can clarify, all are basically too busy with the VBU to do the number that we are used to in the past. As far as RPing with a GM, how do you know you aren't? :lol: I am not sure I understand all of your post except to mention there are player quests that we can request GM intervention. Usually you can find one or a few in chat to arrange the best times etc.

As far as the !gm function will let a GM clarify but like you, I usually only use for a "need help ig" type of thing.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Create your own RP. Don't beg others to clear your self-inflicted boredom. Be creative and make your own story, it will be better than GM-happenings anyway.
LorikQueens

Post by LorikQueens »

Rincewind wrote:Create your own RP. Don't beg others to clear your self-inflicted boredom. Be creative and make your own story, it will be better than GM-happenings anyway.
The point of a roleplaying game is to create your own RP, isn't it? I think I've got that base covered.

Secondly, I don't believe I've had to "... beg others to clear [my] self-inflicted boredom." I've re-read my post, and the only part where I figure you might have collected this is from,
LorikQueens wrote:It would just might be a rather interesting experience to roleplay with a GM (even though in my opinion, my roleplay can be rather dull. :wink: ) at one point or another.
Again, that is just me saying it "...might be a[n]... interesting experience to roleplay with a GM... at one point or another." I personally cannot vouch that I've ever done so. Does this bug me? Not at all. I've been creating my own RP this entire time and have had many pleasant experiences with that RP. I've made some interesting characters with some interesting scenarios, and they've turned out for the best. Would it still be interesting to RP with a GM? Absolutely.

Ah, lastly. I don't believe you answered my second question on the matters and uses of the "!gm" command. Perhaps you can shed some expertise... other than telling me to go FOIG through a post such as "Create your own RP."? I'd rather not piss a few GMs off by saying going in-game and typing, "!gm Hey, what's this do? The forums were of no use, so, thought I'd just ask up front and waste your time! The VBU doesn't need -that- much work, right? Thanks!"

Sorry if I'm being a little grumpy here, I just was expecting more of an answer than a comment. My apologies.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I have to admit I don't understand the initial post but I'll try to do my best to answer the questions:

-GMs do quests, monitor the game and help where needed
-You can send a message to all GMs by !gm <your issue>
-GMs can also be contacted via PM, email or the chat
"!gm Hey, what's this do? The forums were of no use, so, thought I'd just ask up front and waste your time! The VBU doesn't need -that- much work, right? Thanks!"
I'd have absolutely no idea what you want, reading that message. You can find some information on !gm here: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =1&t=25695

If you need support for an ingame event (festival, quest, ritual), it is best to contact a specific GM directly. See: http://illarion.org/community/forums/me ... oup&g=1249

Does that basically cover your questions?
Last edited by Estralis Seborian on Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LorikQueens

Post by LorikQueens »

That does answer a lot of my questions, actually.

Essentially, the whole thing of, "'!gm Hey, what's this do? The forums were of no use, so, thought I'd just ask up front and waste your time! The VBU doesn't need -that- much work, right? Thanks!'" was to make a point in a sardonic fashion, not to be interpreted as an actual message to the GMs that needs consideration. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Anyways, thanks for your input, folks!