Distrupting magic?

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

themonk

Distrupting magic?

Post by themonk »

Are there any items or atifacts that you can wear or place in buildings to disable mages using magic???
Estralis Seborian

Re: Distrupting magic?

Post by Estralis Seborian »

If you (as a mage) wear a lot of metal armour, your magic becomes weaker. Other than that: Nope.
themonk

Post by themonk »

Thats not fair :( so we cant even lock mages in jail?
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

You can't physically/engine-wise "lock" anyone in the jail be they mage or any other char last I looked :D . With cooperative roleplay however there are roleplay solutions.
Po Will

Post by Po Will »

Weh beh free bitchez! :lol:

Nah, the best option is the single square space jail. That way, they can't cast a portal :wink:
Then there's the fact that after a ghosting, they can't cast either - for a time -, so something to keep in mind. Not that I advocate ghosting a mage, if he/she gets enough of an arse whopping, they shouldn't rp that they're gods. So it should never reach ghosting - if you're just looking to weaken and limit their magic use - for a time till the conflict reaches a climax.

But aye, last I heard jails were banned. At least in Bane. :wink:
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I'd like to add something. If you "jail" someone (=locking the char into a room), all you do is to end the interaction with the character, usually. I rarely see that such jailed characters are actively played in jail unless another player plays a guard or something. Logging out seems to be the normal procedure. Is that what you want?

I know this game is all about roleplaying and stuff. So, jailing a criminal is a totally valid method, don't get me wrong. But if you want to maximise everyone's fun, why don't you think about something more... creative? Some examples:

-Puplic pilloring
-The mob may throw rotten tomatoes at the offender
-Forced labour in a mine
-A fine

Clouding a criminal is btw totally valid, too. If the offender keeps breaking the local laws, beating him/her up again isn't considered reskilling.
Po Will

Post by Po Will »

The way I see it, if you have jailed someone and you're not RP'ing with them via prisoner/guard relationship you're shouldn't have a jail on any terms.

Other than that, I can see a few problems - though, they're small - with the other means of punishment.
People could have a IC friend help them break free from the pilly.
Unless you have someone following said criminal, he could simply buy the needed mined materials.
As for a fine, I'd say there's a limit to the kind of crime this punishment can be applied, but it's always a good one for the likes of cutting trees in town.
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

Then again you do have some cases where guards or other prisoners will infact see if anybody is in jail and RP.
One of my best times in this game is trying to find a way out of Troll's Bane jail.

How about getting a smith to make a "chain" and setting certain peramiters with the player involved, as in you can move X paces from Y square. And if their a mage make them wear a heavy metal arm our at all times. Just an idea.
Damien

Post by Damien »

There is a rope to tie people up.

However, one has to distinct between the reasons for ingame punishments.
If a player gets "RP-Punished", means his "crime" was done in full roleplay and the player "agreed" that his character goes to prison, then there is no need for a "technical" prison. A "chain" can also be roleplayed by such a person.
But those players are usually not causing problems that require a "coded" jail-soution.

The other case are players who (ab)use the engine for what then, ingame, gets defined as "crime", but is done in a way that annoys other players. That happens usually because some players seem to be convinced that their char does never "lose", and they will even use unfair methods / system weaknesses (for example: returning from cross, using building shadows for sniper attacks, logging, attacking a place when it's players are offline, etc.), and then declare their actions as "rping a criminal". Their behaviour can be hard on the border of violating server rules, annoyig to others, but not quite over the line.
For such players, a hard-coded jail function DOES make sense.

However, to keep an eye on such things, it would require active GMs / seers, or very responsible players - which will most likely only happen after the vbu.
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

This is not on subject, but as a response to Damien
I was once locked up forcibly. My character was out of site and mind, none to RP with and forgotten. As my term was a lengthy one, I eventually deleted the character. No reason to even try. If that character had been, lets say, chained by the leg in the center of the town square. Then I would of had reason to continue him. Others passing by would give him opportunities to RP as they threw tomato's at him or other such things.
Forced imprisonment has a place in this game I believe. It just needs to be done better.