The White Company of Caelum

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

The White Company

The White Company of Caelum

Post by The White Company »

• The White Company
                • "One bird. Many feathers."
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

The White Company is a free company of professional military men, without allegiance to any government. A mercenary army, their only loyalty lies to the coin. If you have the largest purse, then you have their blades. When without steady employ, they survive off of the land, taking whatever she offers. The Company takes great pride in the quality of its soldiers, who are renowned for their skill and bravery in battle.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Caelum

The settlement of Caelum has a long, unusual history. Though its periods of activity have been relatively brief, it still holds a notable place in the story
of Gobaith. For too many years, however, the town has simply lay there, empty and forgotten. Today, it has become little more than a dot on the landscape. With the blessing and support of Caelum's surviving citizens and senators, we shall strive to breathe some life back into the settlement.

The White Company calls the lands of Caelum home. While not away on campaign, they reside between its walls and continue to operate from within. From this day forth, Caelum shall be the Company's military fortress and primarily revolve around them. It shall seek no alliances, and shall play no part in the politics of Gobaith.

The gates of Caelum are open to all of good intent, whether their stay is to be permanent or temporary. Traders, potential employers, and fellow soldiers regularly visit the settlement, where they are offered a warm reception and a cold ale. In addition to the mercenaries themselves, a large contingent of commoners also live within Caelum. Camp followers, these men and women make a comfortable living by meeting the needs of the soldiers, whether culinary, medical or otherwise. It is not unheard of for this group of people to outnumber even the soldiers of the town.

With no recorded laws to speak of, it is often suggested that Caelum is a place of cut-throats and criminals. This, though, could not be further from the truth. An unspoken code governs life within the settlement, and the soldiers of the White Company are always prepared to see it upheld. On the rare occasion that a serious dispute presents itself, the matter is brought before the Captain (Condottiere) of the Company, who is sure to have it settled. While the settlement continues to rebuild, this martial law shall remain in effect. Should the town grow to a sufficient size, the decision may be made to implement a steady government and codified law.

The Company will make sections of property within its lands available for rent and purchase, in order to help fund the ongoing operation of the army. Lessees and landowners may develop these properties as these please, subject to prior consultation with the Company Condottiere. Those who reside within Caelum, or serve as a mercenary, shall receive highest priority in any such purchases.

Should you wish to call Caelum home, you are encouraged to contact the Condottiere.

The Company

Before joining the White Company, a soldier must rid himself of all prior loyalties. He may have no tie to government nor guild. The Company does not simply accept any peasant into its ranks; first, a soldier must prove himself worthy of joining. The Company maintains a standard of quality and guarantees this to its clients. Its mercenaries are expected to uphold this standard.

The Company operates under a simple structure. The Condottiere is captain, judge, and treasurer. Beneath him, all are of equal rank, importance and voice. Maintenance of weapons and armour is to be carried out by each and every soldier. Replacement equipment will be provided at regular intervals. When you fight, you will be paid. All money earned under a contract will be divided throughout the army. Any dispute between soldiers which cannot be resolved privately is to be brought before the Condottiere.

There is no set price to obtain the Company's services, all contracts are subject to negotiation. The number of coins parted with shall depend upon the number of soldiers required, the risk involved, the time needed, and any other relevant factors. A deposit shall be paid on agreement of the contract, with the balance met upon its completion.

Any soldier who wishes to ride with the Company should initiate communications with the Condottiere.

((PM to this account for recruitment, employment, and general inquiries))
Last edited by The White Company on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
The White Company

Re: The White Company of Caelum

A whimper rose from the solid floor. The soldier’s lips barely moved. Wide eyes stared upwards. Golden locks fell across a pale face. He was only a boy, no more than fifteen years of age. This was no place for a child. The victim of a press gang, the Condottiere presumed. Or perhaps a runaway, whose youthful longing for adventure and glory had driven him to the seas. Adventure, perhaps he had found. But there was no glory here. Another murmur sounded. The fresh ocean breeze stole the words as soon as they had been uttered. With a smooth motion, the man withdrew his blade from the boy’s breast.

The blast of cannon fire roared in the distance, soon followed by the sound of splintering wood. Slowly, the Captain straightened, turning his head to the South. Flames danced above the horizon, licking at the sky. Whether boat or building burned, he could not say. Before him, crimson clouds floated across the water’s surface, each one easily traced back to the corpse of its origin. Flecks of fresh blood covered the Captain’s plate. None of it was his own.

Crouching down, Francisco wiped his sword against the soldier’s violet garb and returned the weapon to its scabbard. Beneath him, the galley gently rocked with the ocean’s swell. An unnatural quiet had descended upon the vessel, the calmness in sharp contrast to the pandemonium which had preceded it. The Captain turned once more, casting his stare in an arc across the Cape. Othanoza had fallen. He had departed its shores not even a week past. Few dared walk its streets, yet there was no denying the town’s strategic worth.

He had been paid to protect the town. And he had done so, until a better offer was revealed. The Condottiere had opened the main gates, and slipped out in the dead of the night with the rest of his company. His men had not even lifted a blade, yet he had collected two sizeable purses from two different employers. Such was the life of a mercenary. Fighting was usually best avoided, though not usually possible. 'Today's enemy may be tomorrow's ally.' He had often stressed the maxim to his men. The statement's worth was clearly shown on days such as these.

Though Othanoza had been lost, its former ruler still maintained a respectable army. And he was upset. Francisco understood. It was just business, nothing personal. The Captain did not mind leaving, the flow of coin had been steadily decreasing in recent months anyhow. Perhaps it was time for a change of scenery. Suddenly a strong wind blew across the deck, picking up the white cloak at his back. He would need to rebuild and recruit, many men had been lost in the recent conflict. Toward the south that very war raged on, the occasional cry of pain reaching Francisco's ears, indicating another casualty of battle. And they would need to find employers, of course. As he tightened his grip upon the side of the vessel, the Condottiere's gaze settled north.

There was little use in waiting here then.

Last edited by The White Company on Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
The White Company

Ace

Post by Ace »

Greetings. Sounds like a place I would feel at home in. Let me know if you need a qualified bartender. My skills will impress you.

Father Prim
The ReReturner

Post by The ReReturner »

Hello There, I need something to allign myself with, so I offer my skills as a fighter and apply for citizenship inside Caelum. Please let me know of your decision.

~ Mannelig, Orcish wanderer
The White Company

Welcome to Caelum, the both of you. May your purses grow heavy.

Signed,

Francisco Arcemendi
Condottiere
Joxia Doral

Post by Joxia Doral »

*a dagger is left holding a parchment to the board*

You will turn away some of the most skilled fighters without ever having given them a chance for listening to the cowardly and small minded ones.

signed,
A Templar
The White Company

The Condottiere sighs as he removes the dagger from the board. He examines the weapon for a few moments, before gratefully sliding it within his belt. After securing the parchment in place with a common nail, he posts his own message beneath it.

I shall turn away any soldier who maintains allegiance to some external cause, be it government or guild. If you are prepared to turn your back on your Templar brothers and sisters, then I should gladly offer you my ear.

Signed,

Francisco Arcemendi
The ReReturner

Post by The ReReturner »

*Mannelig walks up to the board, and surveys the messages*

Would it not be preferable to turn away potential threats to the land? Such a silly statement from a 'Templar'.

~Mannelig of Caelum
Sirith-Rym

Post by Sirith-Rym »

I would like to be a citizen of Caelum.

Signed,
Asliendor
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

No. Just no. Caelum doesn't even have senators so I don't know what you're smoking.

~W.E~
Gilthas

Post by Gilthas »

Greetings fellow Caelumites,
I wish to have my name restored to the town's boards.

Arelas
Last edited by Gilthas on Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The White Company

Welcome to, and back to, Caelum, Messrs Asliendor and Arelas.

Signed,

Francisco Arcemendi

Beneath the message, a few more notes are pinned to the board. They are aged and tattered, though still clearly readable. A few feet away, another board sits, clearly older than the one in use. It would seem that the parchments have been taken from there.
AlexRose wrote:Seregon is now also a Head Senator.

~W.E~
AlexRose wrote:Blake Thorne is now a Head Senator.

These people have the power to make decisions in Caelum such as event arranging. They cannot make large decisions such as war or anything of the sort, and my word is still above theirs; if they do something I do not approve of they must stop.

For now Blake is the only Head Senator, but others may come.

~W.E~
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Administration change is a pretty large decision. Not a little thing like an event. I also exercise my right to overrule their decision with immediate effect. Good day.

~W.E~
Maeglin Telemmaite

Post by Maeglin Telemmaite »

The White Company wrote:Image
"we are also seeking employment. Should you require our services and have the coin to acquire them, I shall be more than willing to negotiate terms. Though some of our competition may profess quality, we are able to back this up with our actions."

just saying..this excerpt makes you sound more like mercenaries and nothing more..id consider a small revision..

~ anonymous
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

Maeglin Telemmaite wrote:
The White Company wrote:long note
"we are also seeking employment. Should you require our services and have the coin to acquire them, I shall be more than willing to negotiate terms. Though some of our competition may profess quality, we are able to back this up with our actions."

just saying..this excerpt makes you sound more like mercenaries and nothing more..id consider a small revision..

~ anonymous
You chose to point out THAT makes them look like mercenaries when
The White Company is a free company of professional military men, without allegiance to any government. A mercenary army, their only loyalty lies to the coin.
is clearly written on the first parchment?

~A Careful Observer~
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

They're just the usual annual rogues and thieves with a bit of ambition but no ability or resources themselves that try to scrounge off Caelum. They'll come and go as always, and Caelum is in no way recruiting citizens or conflicting with the temple or any other organisation.

Go and camp in the forest, little children.

~W.E~
The ReReturner

Post by The ReReturner »

I resent being called an annual 'rogue' or a 'thief'. I also resent being called a child.

~Mannelig of Caelum
The White Company

(( The gathering will begin at 7 pm (GMT) on Sunday 21 August. There should be people around for a few hours, so feel free to stop by at any time after. Though, any important White Company discussion will most likely take place during the first hour. ))
The White Company

(( Just a quick reminder that there will be some activity around the Caelum tavern in about 8 hours from now, for those who are interested. ))
The White Company

(( In Caelum now, for anyone who is interested. ))
The White Company

The damp forest floor muffled the old man's footsteps. A cool breeze whistled through the trees around him. Francisco turned up the collar of his white coat, failing to ignore the wind's bite. A hand rose to his forehead, gently massaging a slight bump that had turned a deep shade of blue. He winced slightly, then let out a curse under his breath. In the distance, the cry of a lone wolf could be heard.

The Captain unlatched the lantern door, extinguishing the small flame between his thumb and forefinger. The forest plunged into darkness. He squinted up through the canopy, his eyes taking some time to adjust to the sudden absence of light. A scattering of stars successfully avoided the cloud that filled most of the sky. Behind him, a branch snapped. Francisco spun around, his hand instinctively wrapping itself around the blade which hung at his side. An unseen bird flapped its way up into the heavens. He released a soft sigh, and loosened his grasp.

"Getting careless, old man."

Francisco jumped at the soft voice, drawing a sharp breath. He turned slowly, his gaze wandering over the figure. A long, dark blue cloak covered most of the man's form. He was more solid than most, and fairly tall. The Captain's eyes paused briefly on the wide, loose sleeves that covered the being's arms. Shadows shielded what was hidden within, though Francisco knew it was more than mere flesh and bone. From the collar of the robe, a simple hood raised over the figure's head. Francisco caught a glimpse of silver from within.

The Captain reached inside of his own clothing, producing a small piece of parchment. He quickly placed it within the hooded figure's open glove. As the man glanced over the message, Francisco looked across the forest surrounding them. The thought that he would soon be departing these woods provided only small comfort. The figure struck a match, it taking only a matter of moments before the message was nothing but ash dancing in the breeze. What expression hid within the hood's shadow, Francisco could not say. A smile seemed as likely as any. As the being turned to leave, the starlight illuminated his face for a brief second, revealing a twisted metallic mask.

The Captain shuddered, though the cold had been long forgotten.