Description

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

APassingStranger

Description

Post by APassingStranger »

I was wondering if the following is an adequate description. (my char has high essence, low dexerity and low perception) Or am I misunderstanding what it means by Aura.

Of average height his lean body emits a pale purple glow. His red-blonde hair covers his cloudy sea-green eyes. His body is constantly trembling and his hands are visibly shaking.
Athian

Re: Description

Post by Athian »

Attributes like dexterity and perception are not always 'visible'. You cannot tell ow well someones eyes work simply by looking at them, nor how well they would use a tool based upon how there hands look. You are on the right track with using visible representations to display the characters lack of coordination, but you do not need to be completely literal. The degree of subtly you decide to use in this case is up to you, play around with it. Your description can always be changed later.

The same can be said about ones "aura' it does not need to be readily visible but rather it's a form of 'presence'. Someone with a commanding 'aura' is someone who others are inspired to follow, for example. While Illarion mentions essences as a semi tangible thing, essence isn't something you must immediately link to visible aura around your character. As you can't really force another player to acknowledge seeing a colored aura around your character i would advise against using this sort of visual. you may find that you do not get a reaction, or you may find that the reaction you get is not what you would expect. Illarion has many magical folk, but most don't go around glowing unless they plan to cause trouble. If you choose to use such exotic sorts of visuals then you may want to give it an in-depth background. try to avoid contestable statements like "He glows because he is so powerful." as your new character obviously will not be as powerful as the others around him. perhaps this aura is visible 'only to those who have a sense for magic' or perhaps he has some unrestrained latent talent that tends to peek out when he isn't paying attention.

The best advise I can give is to try and be creative with your character background and description, but try to avoid 'just because' sort of reasoning's as Illarion is a world with it's own set of rules. Try things out, and if they don't work out then change the background of description as you like until you find something that works. Though if your character has alot of friends be ready to have an excuse for such changes :wink:

Good luck and have fun, welcome to illarion
APassingStranger

Heres my character background.

For the first eighty years of his life Caenyvin lived with druids. His life with in the druid conclave took spot in one place, in a small hut upon a bed of leaves. Every year his parents would come by just once to see if he had gotten better. Every month the druids would bring a new potion. Every week he would read a new book. Every day for an hour he would stare outside. And every night was a battle for sleep for each dream was a new horror.

Until one night, the first night of Olos, in which he slept the whole night through. The next day he got out of bed, stood up, and his skin glowed faintly purple. When the druids came and asked him what happened his response was, "An ancient elf came to me wearing fine elven mail and a two elven swords strapped across his back . He told me that he would be able to make me to run but only if I continually train my body and mind." They gave him a meal and he set off.

During the seventy years following he trained his body and his mind. He found in this time while better he still wasn't perfect. He was very nearly blind and that his body shakes uncontrollably, especially in the hands. But he didn't let that stop him. One day in the seventyth year he was hit in the head, he collapsed, he could barely move, the glow from his skin was gone. In time he regained the his aura, only visible to him now, and with it the strength he thought he lost. He vowed on that day no more, he would train his body to be able to stand even if he lost his innate power, and that he would train his innate power to have more usability.

So he went to the island Gobaith, an Island he heard about he could learn from the strongest fighters and the best of mages. Thus his story began.

Here is an updated Description.

Of average height his lean body shows a few well developed muscles. His red-blonde hair is shaggy covering his eyes. His body is constantly trembling and his hands are visibly shaking.
Irania

Post by Irania »

:D
Po Will

Post by Po Will »

Really good, interesting background :)
I'd say to keep, or add something about your Elfs eye condition in your description. Purely so that people you interact with know not to say: " Hey! Look up over that tree! " To the almost blind guy :wink:
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Just a personal opinion, but I like a very detailed description that can't all be placed as an introduction to the char in game, however if you prefer some to find out in game rather then read the description then less detail is in order. For instance, you may prefer some to find out related to how well you char sees in game rather then reading it in the description which ....some take that information into the game. Your background sounds very nice! Have a good time in game :D
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Yes, welcome! I hope I like you.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

I like the background. ^_^ Gives your character some uniqueness without the usual omnipotence.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Yups, well done !
APassingStranger

So I have another character.
Background:
He does not speak of his family. Of his Father the Norodaj raider who took upon a young maiden of unknown lands to be his wife. Of the Maiden his mother who watched as the old chief, the Father, died of heart failure once the seed was passed. Of the Woman he wed and than beat who child born was not his. Nor of the man, the child's father, he strangled beneath his hands when no challenge was issued. No he does not speak of his home, nor his family because he has none, he is erased from history, from memory, he is exiled.

In-game Description:
His blond hair is pulled into a braid, resting on his muscular back. His pale green are almond shaped. His skin is nearly white. He is tall and every muscle stands out on his thin frame.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

On your background for your chars, the best thing to do is make your page and see how the votes go. Some voters don't seem to vote for the background information as much as the char, however a few negative votes with none very high may be an indication that an adjustment is needed in the description/story/picture. A few high ones and only a small percent of negative may be a good sign the background is fine.
APassingStranger

right now I'm new so my profile doesn't appear, also I like to hear the positive and the negative. to help build better characters in the future.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

It's a bit grammatically confusing, but it seems like a good base.
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

I like the description.

But don't worry too much about the rating system. People seem to rate 0's frequently.