Proposed Government

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Kaidan Firestone

Proposed Government

Post by Kaidan Firestone »

Note - This paper was written by Kaidan Firestone with the words, encouragement and thoughts of the citizens of Trolls Bane. It is up for amendment and debate by Citizens of Trolls Bane. I respectfully request that those who are neither citizen nor residents refrain from critique.

The purpose of Government, in my eyes, is to serve the Governed. An honest Government that does the best for it's Citizens is what we are striving for. The best way to ensure any Government is doing what is best for the Citizens is by making that Government made up of Citizens and answerable to those Citizens.

The future government of Trolls Bane will be one based on the principles of Liberty and Democracy. All positions in the Government will be electable by the people of Trolls Bane.

The Government will be comprised of a Governor, a 3 member Council and a Judge. The election cycle for Governor and Judge will be once every two Dwarfish months while the election cycle for the Council will be once every Dwarfish month. These elections will be town wide meaning all citizens who are neither banned or in jail will be able to vote publicly and safely, any citizen can nominate themselves for any position.

The power and purpose of the Governor is to nominate Captains of the Town Guard, enforce town laws, head the town during wars or states of Emergencys, write treaties with other settlements, propose tax increase or tax decreases and request town money for various projects.

The power and purpose of the Council is to collect property taxes, write and pass laws, confirm nominated Captains of the Town Guard, sign treaties with other settlements and allocate town money to the Governor for various projects.

The power and purpose of the Judge is to understand the Contract between the Government of Trolls Bane and it's citizens (yet to be written) to ensure that all laws, treaties and projects made by either the Council or Governor are legal under that Contract.

The power and purpose of the citizen of Trolls Bane is to elect their Government, the sole power to increase or decrease taxes through town wide vote and the power to recall any elected official, at any time during the term, through a 2/3rd majority vote.

I believe this initial draft of the future government covers all major aspects of it.

Kaidan Firestone
Pyrrho

Re: Proposed Government

Post by Pyrrho »

You forgot the part where people must pay tithes to old "crazy" hairy past governors.

Brer Beothach the Godmen
Kaidan Firestone

Or did I?

Kaidan Firestone
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

You clearly did as I am not reading it.

Brer Beothach the Godmen
Kaidan Firestone

There will be a town meeting on the 6th of Siros at 12:00:00 held on the second floor of the Library. The meeting will start promptly at the aforementioned date so arrive early. Topics to be discussed will be the proposed government structure, term lengths and the constitution. All of it will be up for debate by all citizens.

Once those issues are settled I hope for those who seek office to announce at that meeting. If you are incapable of being at the meeting but still wish to run for office then send a message to me and you will be put on the ballot.

We should see elections a few Dwarven days after the meeting, assuming it feels right and there has been enough debate amongst candidates of the various offices.

Kaidan Firestone
Orioli

Post by Orioli »

Dear Citizens of Trollsbane.

I was approached yesterday by Kaiden who informed me that he would be raising all property taxes WHEN he is governor. I asked how I could pay such high tax and he told me I should charge fees for people to fish, farm and work on my property of Northbridge.
IS THIS WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT IN A GOVERNOR? I for one had enough of this kind of high handed abuse from Elijah. Think hard when you cast that vote because you will have to live with the result. Let me assure you the town makes enough from the teleport and merchant taxes that property taxes are unnecessary and are just greed, to rob people of what they own.

I have attached the letter he wrote me today for you to see. Apparently he realized he should have waited to let his true face be known. Please notice he says "at this time". Clearly he will still raise the taxes to line his pockets. Also please notice he is using Elijah to model his plans after.

~Below the note you see a letter attached.
Kaidan Firestone wrote:Dear Orioli,

After some thought I've decided that fighting you over taxes isn't what the town needs at this time. The tax will remain the same level as when Elijah was governor. Any raises or decreases will be done appropriately by the elected governor proposing them and the town holding a vote as to whether to pass or not pass it. If you need help with ideas as to how to make money from your land, feel free to contact me. I estimate you could easily make 60 silver from that borough every dwarven month.

Kaidan Firestone
Kaidan Firestone

Orioli, you were given a mansion and a borough you didn't buy nor pay a cent to build, I told you those would be yours despite the fact that Phibol did not pay taxes on either for nearly half a dwarven year.

You are going to be taxed for that borough. If taxes are inefficient they will be raised.

This is what I told you, this is what I my message states.

If you have further problem why don't you speak to me in person, like an adult, I know you saw me in town before you scurried to the town walls to defame me.

Kaidan Firestone
Orioli

Post by Orioli »

According to Elijah is what you told me. And the gift came from Phibol who owned it before Elijah. None of this changes how you feel toward the position of Governor. Nor how you told me you would raise all property owner's taxes, as if you had tyranical power already.
Last edited by Orioli on Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaidan Firestone

Orioli, read the start of this parchment, does it look at all like the model Elijah used? Taxes will stay at the same level they were when Elijah was governor.

Kaidan Firestone
Orioli

Post by Orioli »

That speaks for itself about who came up with it. The tax began with Elijah. While i owned it, no one taxed Kalahorn in Eastmark. Will you now tax them for all those holdings now? And the Demon tower. Will you tax them for that land. And the Knighthood.. Garon... Will you tax them? The Grovestriders? Repeal the tax it is unnecessary.
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

You speak as if he has any power to make any of these decisions at the present time. A new government is in the works. After the elections make your requests to the appropriate persons.

D. Estiel
Joxia Doral

Post by Joxia Doral »

~*~signed~*~
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

A parchment suddenly appears at the board on a moonless night, it may be assumed whoever wrote it has an interest in Trolls Bane yet where it came from remains unclear.

Please clarify one phrase.

The writing is different from above and strangely appears almost identical to the first parchment.
An honest Government that does the best for it's Citizens is what we are striving for. The best way to ensure any Government is doing what is best for the Citizens is by making that Government made up of Citizens and answerable to those Citizens.
Yet the Bearer's of Fire are deciding who is citizen or not by use of the ban. Will our "elected" officials also be decided this way?

One more question, are you representing the Bearer's of Fire?
Po Will

Post by Po Will »

To put it simply, no. The Bearers have no say, the Dwarfs have no say.

At the meeting it was decided that some sort of ban would be placed on those which will bring harm to Bane outright due all the other buggers wanting to bugger them and ruin Bane at the same time.... meaning, the temple's a no show for the moment.

As for that tax nonsense. Seriously Ori, pay the feckin' tax or give up the land. Wasn't it you complaining about the lack of guards? Funny, how do you reckon guards be hired if there isn't anyway to pay them?

In Nargun's name,
~Sere~
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Until now it is just decidet hat the peaceful citizens of Trolls Bane may elect a mayor, which will debate with the alliance how the Village can be ruled to all goods. Neither the Bearers of the fire nor their allies have any interest in ruling Trolls Bane. But we haven't conquered it to let it fall again in the Hands of followers of the unspoken.

So we will search with the new Mayor a System, where the citizenof Trolls Bane can rule them self and be free, but with which it is also sure that the Temple can never ever again take the power over Trolls Bane.

~Djironnyma
Kaidan Firestone

It is agreed by the town's people that Trolls Bane will not allow any member of the Temple into the citizenry. Simply put, they have a very bad history of blackmailing, bribing and killing their way into power in Trolls Bane. Everyone who isn't temple affiliated recognizes that as fact. Because it is fairly accepted that the Temple will sooner or later declare war on Trolls Bane (as they have historically done since their inception) it is necessary for the town of Trolls Bane to maintain a formidable guard, to pay the salaries of those in the guard we will need money. Tax money will also pay for rebuilding damaged public buildings.

Orioli has every right as a citizen of Trolls Bane to argue for whatever she wishes to argue for. There is nothing wrong or illegal with that which is quite a departure from the reign of Joxia and Elijah.

Trolls Bane will not be answerable to the Bearers of Fire nor Silverbrand. That was also decided at the meeting with the Grey Rose, Silverbrand and Bearers of Fire. This does not mean Trolls Bane will be cold or harsh to any of the aforementioned parties. But any notion that the government of Trolls Bane will be beholden to any force on the island beside the people of Trolls Bane is false.

Trolls Bane is its own land, it has its own people and its own culture. We will have our own government.

Kaidan Firestone
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

Trollsbane is a dung-hole.

~Jefferson Gray <>~
Wise man
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

A small boy runs up to the town walls, his legs propelling him as fast as they are able, eager with the promise of coin to take home to his family. He hurridly pins a small note to the walls and runs back to the south, disappearing amongst the overgrowth of the forest.
We're going to delcare War on Trollsbane? This is certainly news to myself. Perhaps our insistance to return to Bane is not because of our lust for power and dominance but because many of us, unlike the Bearers, call Bane our home. I seem to recall sitting about the campfire many nights with other citizens, sharing tales and company. During such time the guard, which did a fine job of protecting Bane, contained a number of Templar who were amongst the most experienced, active and dedicated of its number. What's more the coin that was gathered from merchant and teleporter taxes was more than ample to provide for this defence, without the need to inflict excessive land taxes. Should there have been times when extra income was needed, it was provided personally by us as we had the financial ability to pay without transferring the costs to the citizens of Bane.

Though our tactics may at times be a little underhand, I would like to remind you that we managed to remove an unpopular and corrupt Governor without resorting to violence and shows of force, and with little inconvenience to the town or its people. You could elect fairly and democratically a thousand governments before you will find one that matches the dedication and ability of those we create. Agree with our methods or not you will one day come to understand that we are what is best for Bane, but have it your way, for now, I suppose.

~Verdazar Ivinius~
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Be greeted,

I find it quite odd that Mister Firestone utters my name every corner I turn. Every single idea he has proposed has been proposed in the past and has utterly failed. Mister Kaidan may fancy himself to be a strong willed individual, but he is hardly a match for the temple.

They'll make short work of your "reforms" and any insistence that Bane not accept aid. Building a guard from scratch to defend against one of the strongest entities on the island? Right. Making laws to prevent corruption that rely solely on activity which is a common fault of men on this island? Right. It's a town, gods damn it, not a nation. No sense to treat it as one.

I've officially retired myself from the circle of politics, but I won't mind coming back if Mister Firestone wishes to continue to use my name so loosely.

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Taliss Kazzxs

Post by Taliss Kazzxs »

The Proposed Government is a bad idea an will never work because it never worked in the past when people tried the exact same method!

Keep it simple and vote for me as Governor.

~Bindus
Kaidan Firestone

Meeting will start in roughly 15 dwarven minutes.

Kaidan FIrestone
Kaidan Firestone

Meeting has finished. The government's structure was debated and a general consensus was established. The overall model will remain, democracy will of course remain. The judge will be nominated by the town's elected governor, the council will need to unanimously approve of the judge.

Regarding popular recalls, it will require a minimum of 1/3rd of the town's registered citizens to hold a scheduled town meeting and unanimously agree to recall any elected position (governor or council). After that is held, there will be town-wide election and the majority of registered citizens will decide if the elected official should keep his or her job or be replaced.

To recall a judge it will require a unanimous vote of the council, coupled with a 2/3rd vote of the town's people to recall him.

If the judge is absent from the town he may be replaced by the governor by another nominee who may then be confirmed by the council.

Term lengths were not decided. It will be up to a town wide vote that will be held in conjunction with the election of Governor and the 3 seated Council to be held in 5 Dwarven days.

It's highly suggested that any elected official swear an oath, in public, to defend and protect Trolls Bane.

The Governor will have the power and authority to write any new laws or treaties while only the council has the power to ratify them through a simply majority vote. It is the duty of the Judge to overlook any addition law or treaty and ensure it is legal within the constitution (yet to be revealed). The judge will also have the responsibility to institute bans, jail sentences and verdicts for any trials.

Only citizens will have the power to vote. Members of the Grey Rose and Knights of Gobiath, so long as they will it and are not part of any other settlement, are eligible for citizenship.

I believe this covers all things.

Kaidan Firestone
Taiah

Post by Taiah »

Avoiding all particulars of an office and at one time having a dual citizenship yet now being a resident and not running for any office we would like to add our thoughts for Trolls Bane. Use part, all or ignore as you will.

King or Queen-little actual power in the day to day running of the city. Promotes ceremonies and works on trade agreements, that is, he or she is Ambassador at Large between towns and villages. Any laws proclaimed in the city has to be first approved by the three councilmen or women yet treaties can be made autonomously. The King or Queen is reaffirmed or voted for every six months by the people. It is desired this individual speak the new and old language or have access to an interpreter which may be appointed to be the King or Queen as Advisor.

Three councilmen and three alternative councilmen when a councilman is at the mainland over three dwarfen days. A unanimous vote is required to pass or change a law and all laws require three signatures to be signed by all three members or an alternative if one not available. The Councilman position is reaffirmed, or voted for every dwarfen month by the people. Alternative Councilman every three dwarfen months. The Councilmen are at liberty to appoint committees to see to the day to day running of the city such as Planning, Zoning, Beautification, Festivities.

The Magistrate with no powers over the town and unable to enforce any decisions is appointed by the Council of Three. Basically a neutral party to proclaim judgement of any offender brought before them yet relies on the Guard or appointed individual for enforcement. As an example, if someone steals a farmer's produce, the Magistrate may decide that the offender would work for that farmer to pay him back not to exceed a certain time..then will appoint that farmer for the enforcement.

Town Guard Captain also appointed by the Council of Three is responsible for recruitment of the Guards and assists with day to day enforcement of the laws handed down by the Council, and the safety of the King or Queen appointing body guards as needed.

Town Guard Lieutenant replaces the Captain if he is in the mainland over three dwarfen days.

Dame Caiah Daekash, resident
Taiah Daekash, observer