IG Economy

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Rogan Thorgrim

IG Economy

Post by Rogan Thorgrim »

I'm not sure whether there's been another thread recently, or if the VBU is expected to totally solve it, but I've noticed wandering around ig that money seems to have no merit any more.

I've tried several times to buy things from various different people, but invariably they just give me whatever it is for free. (My character isn't new, and has plenty of money to spend)

As nice as it is to get free stuff, I can't help but wonder what the wider picture might be. Money in Illarion now seems useless. Everyone has whatever material wealth they might need, and the economy (which used to be part of the fun and draw of the game) is now basically defunct.

Not sure what ideas are floating around for how to change this, just thought I'd point out the issue.
Qeewee

Re: IG Economy

Post by Qeewee »

It is known that the economy is messed up, but some people give stuff to be nice though, not because they don't like coins :P
Rogan Thorgrim

Post by Rogan Thorgrim »

Yeah but cmon, noone would do that if money was important ig. :P
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

I think it resides in the fact that the risk isn't equal to the reward for high value things. I believe this will be changed with the VBU.
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

Anyone know for certain if it will be changed with the VBU?

I just realized why my characters (most of them) are poor, they give free things and rarely attend treasure hunts :mrgreen:
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

That doesnt mean anything QeeWee.

Both my main characters give out magical items all the time. I rarely attend hunts or sell maps but I have a wealth of coin.
As so many do hunt maps from the word go, there is constantly coin being brought in.
The way we sort this is all of the crafters raise prices of items but then they would be increadibly rich. Maybe taxes? :P
Rogan Thorgrim

Post by Rogan Thorgrim »

Alexander Knight wrote:That doesnt mean anything QeeWee.

Both my main characters give out magical items all the time. I rarely attend hunts or sell maps but I have a wealth of coin.
As so many do hunt maps from the word go, there is constantly coin being brought in.
The way we sort this is all of the crafters raise prices of items but then they would be increadibly rich. Maybe taxes? :P
I like the idea of taxes. But there needs to be more benefits for being a citizen to justify it.

Also we need more things to spend money on obviously. Maybe buildings need renovation every now and again etc?

I guess you could just up the prices for all the npc traders. Also reduce loot drops etc.

I guess most of this has been said before though now I think about it.
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Increasing taxes is never liked from an IC perspective and would have to be drastic in order to fully affect the IG economy as much as it is needed. Innovations to IG buildings is also nearly impossible until the VBU.
Hrar Godcairn

Post by Hrar Godcairn »

Probably the problem comes from the treasure maps and a decrease of building projects. We could be experiencing an hyperinflation as the value of money decreases to a point where players leave it on the ground. You could make treasure maps give away no coins, reduce the amount given from it or just make them even more rare. Player governments should tax almost everything too, like in reality. But perhaps the VBU comes with a new economic policy that solves the inflation and makes everyone poor again :D
H.Banestone

Post by H.Banestone »

Obama is driving the economy into a dead end.
Skamato

Post by Skamato »

H.Banestone wrote:Obama is driving the economy into a dead end.
Is he the new Leader of Bane?
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Skamato wrote:
H.Banestone wrote:Obama is driving the economy into a dead end.
Is he the new Leader of Bane?
Joxia Doral! Yes she can!
Llama

Post by Llama »

Well, the VBU should be able to fix this. Rare items will become much more rare, so they're actually worth buying and selling. There will also hopefully be lots of ways in which you can waste your money.

For a short term fix, I'm sure if you ask nicely the GMs will happily delete any gold coins you own.
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Llama wrote:
For a short term fix, I'm sure if you ask nicely the GMs will happily delete any gold coins you own.
Haha.
Joxia Doral

Post by Joxia Doral »

*looks around desperately for safe place to hide her few gold coins*
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

Llama wrote: For a short term fix, I'm sure if you ask nicely the GMs will happily delete any gold coins you own.
Ha, I hid all my coins in the forest.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

If you want to pay for stuff, pay in magic gems.

They are the only currency that means anything.
H.Banestone

Post by H.Banestone »

cause everyone who can afford stuff, already has it
and people who need stuff, cant afford it.
coz mages are OP and treasure hunt like mad.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

I think Nitram should wipe 50% of everyone's monetary wealth without any warning!

If you had 2 coppers, you'll have 1 left.

If you had 50 gold coins, you'll have 25 left.

:D
Llama

Post by Llama »

Karl wrote:I think Nitram should wipe 50% of everyone's monetary wealth without any warning!

If you had 2 coppers, you'll have 1 left.

If you had 50 gold coins, you'll have 25 left.

:D
Ah, but what if I invest in expensive armour or raw materials? Those won't get wiped. And I'll be rich! Rich I tell you!
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

Well if that's gonna happen we might as well have a chara wipe, and we all know that's not gonna happen :P Or is it..? *mysterious music*
Llama

Post by Llama »

I thought Estralis (?) made it clear that there weren't going to be any char wipes.
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

It was a joke llama.. or was it? *mysterious tune again*
Llama

Post by Llama »

Meh, try not to scare people. If people think you're being serious about it they'll end up complaining, spreading more panic and causing an infinate loop of panic and worry. For nothing.
H.Banestone

Post by H.Banestone »

NOT for nothing. Hopefully someone will have a hilarious heart attack and we can all laugh.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Sometime, somewhere along the line.

Something has gone wrong with your sense of humour.
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

Exactly my thought, what is funny about heart attacks?
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Wait, Illarion had an economy?

The way big games do it is through the constant amount of new people coming, or constantly releasing evermore expensive content buyable from npcs

Those neither really work for Illarion, making rare items even rarer won't really fix the problem, it helps, but eventually it takes just takes longer and not so much changes.

[brainfart]

Moar expendable items.
Potions, blade coatings, tobacco, an item you need each time you enter some high level dungeon or go into a small, 'hidden' zone of a particular dungeon. Items that are used to spawn a rare mob. Magic items that have a small chance to give you a rare item, but usually give something common that isn't especially usefull.
At some point you'll still have no use to kill that rare mob or so since you have all it offers, but it'll have an extra layer inbetween.

Still doesn't help too much with people giving crap items away for free, unless you can spend 50 crap items to have some npc give you an awesome version of the crap item. eg. 50 buckets-> Huge-ass bucket, 50 wolves feet -> A dragon claw dagger thingiemebob, 50 boxes -> Bobarius actionfigure, 50 pieces of clothing -> Llama-fur vest, 50 dead mummies -> giant supermummy.

From what Adrian hinted at above, I suspect some of this stuff kinda stuff already though.

[/brainfart]
Felbion Lijawyn

Post by Felbion Lijawyn »

Quests are a good way too. That auction we had would have been an amazing oportunity to take a lot of currency out of the game. Unfortunately, they mostly sold crappy stuff no one needed. There were several mages there who would have spent 20 gold+ for a wand that's actually good or some nice jewlery. Also, I bet the warriors who were there would've spend a fortune on really cool weaponary/armory. Unfortunately, the only stuff you could buy were tools and a useless wand :o
Rogan Thorgrim

Post by Rogan Thorgrim »

Ages ago I had an idea for a gm controlled peddlar who would every now and then make a brief appearance in Gobaith, and allow people to play highly expensive games of luck to win rare magical items. So a bit like a quest and money sink at the same time.