Things that puzzle me.

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

CJK
Developer

Things that puzzle me.

Post by CJK »

Ok, after my reasonable amount of time playing here, there are still some things or situations that puzzle me.

What -is- the difference between a Mage, warlock, and witch? The most accepted, simple difference.

Sibanic vs. Cannabis. Is there a reason these are close to being anagrams? if so.. why did somebody create an IG form of Marijuana, but not tobacco? I don't really remember the historical beginnings of either one too well... :roll:

When the server resets, is it more commonly accepted that the events that were 'undone' happened, or not? Or is it that any RP is supposed to have happened, just not the engine changes?

How do treasure maps survive in rivers? it is shown as just a parchment with what I'd assume to be either paint or ink on it. Why doesn't the parchment fall apart or the ink fade? :? That one always bugged me...

What officially happened to the Salkamaerian army? It just stopped to exist from what I remember. (Don't flame me for bringing that one up!)

I was told by one druid that the poison made by druids is a bug, but I bet at least one that is selling it. Does that make the druid selling it -and- the person buying it guilty of exploiting a glitch?

There were some others, but sadly i forgot them.
Athian

Re: Things that puzzle me.

Post by Athian »

Question one: in the technical sense nothing is different. a battle-mage, warlock, witch sorceror or anything else are all just mages. Technically even the fighters are mages as far as the game recognizes. battle-mages tend to have more phyiscal attributes and less magic ones, so they are only decent casters at best, but are able to use weapons and craft to a degree the high end mage can't but not of course as good as a warrior or crafter.Titles like witch or warlock or whatever, might have RP behind them however, so they will share IG differences, such as beliefs rituals, customs etc. That's really all there is.

Question two: Because its amusing^^. Remember illarion isn't another earth. Though the anagram was used (as an easter egg no doubt) it doesn't mean that Sibanc and Canbis are in any way related to eachother. Thus in the world of Illarion there may be no tobacco like plant. and a long time ago you could smoke it, that was added to give it a bit more fun ^^.

Question three: People tend to do both, there isn't an offical way of handling it.

Question four: they are made of magic, don't question it!

Question four: Godzilla happened.

Question five: in the most technical sense yes, however its more bug less glitch(if we're talking about the same thing). Its common knowledge that said potion has this effect. Bugs are often explained IG as curses or poisons when it comes to used items (look at the black stone^^) until they are fixed. So if you buy poison and you drink it then that unfortunate but you weren't forced to drink it. Best to just be careful about buying strange brews from a druid. Personally i find that to be pretty interesting.

*puts two cents in the jar*
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

I wasn't expecting it to be that quick somebody replied. :shock:

And the poison I meant was the weapon poison. And I meant bug, not glitch. I mix them up all the time, becsaue i don't really know the difference. :roll:
Felbion Lijawyn

Post by Felbion Lijawyn »

Ok, after my reasonable amount of time playing here, there are still some things or situations that puzzle me.
happens to the best of us :p (except Nitters probably)
What -is- the difference between a Mage, warlock, and witch? The most accepted, simple difference.
There's a difference for that ooc and ig from what I've learned in the years I've been playing:

IG, it's a matter of the character's "beliefs". Things I've heard/experienced:

Mage:

1. A mage is described as someone that has dedicated his entire life to the studies of the arcane ways. They are highly magically talented. (From what I know most common in illa)
2. Every character that is known to be a user of runes.
3. A user of runes that does not concentrate on the offensive aspects of magic but rather on the over-all use of magic and its studies.

Warlock:

1. Warlock as a synonym for battlemage.
2. Warlock as a mage that would be described to be "evil" by most people.
3. A special tpye of battlemage that is highly specialized in the use of magic for fighting purposes and has also been trained in physical battle. (From what I know mainly used by the players of the older "battlemages" we have/had, eg Athian, Pella and their students)

As for witch: Never actually heard that one used by a character ig. o.o

OOC:

Mage / Witch / Wizard: Someone who uses magic.

Warlock: I've got no idea how they came up with this to be what it commonly is in illa, but irl, in several books I've read, series I saw and movies I watched, the warlock has always been someone who has dedicated his life to actually hunt down mages/wizards/witches, some of them because of their hatred againced magic users and some of them to steal their abilities when they kill them.
Sibanic vs. Cannabis. Is there a reason these are close to being anagrams? if so.. why did somebody create an IG form of Marijuana, but not tobacco? I don't really remember the historical beginnings of either one too well... :roll:
Probably just something like an easteregg to give us some fun situations :p
I wouldn't know of any reason in particular why this was implemented other than for the sibanac's use as a "painkiller" by herbalists, medicos and druids.
When the server resets, is it more commonly accepted that the events that were 'undone' happened, or not? Or is it that any RP is supposed to have happened, just not the engine changes?
I don't think there's an official rule for that. I usually just asked the involved people how they wanted to handle it when something like this happened during rp. As for the engine-side, I normally just ignore that ig.
How do treasure maps survive in rivers? it is shown as just a parchment with what I'd assume to be either paint or ink on it. Why doesn't the parchment fall apart or the ink fade? :? That one always bugged me...
That's actually a good question. Never thought about that one.
What officially happened to the Salkamaerian army? It just stopped to exist from what I remember. (Don't flame me for bringing that one up!)
No idea either.
I was told by one druid that the poison made by druids is a bug, but I bet at least one that is selling it. Does that make the druid selling it -and- the person buying it guilty of exploiting a glitch?
From what I've been told, the poison dropped by the spiders is the one that is bugged. As for the thing with a druid selling it, I would say it's not really bug-abuse since the poison was ment to be there (even if it doesn't work properly). So it's more like using a bugged feature than abusing a bug.

Hope that helps o_o

Edit: Totally forgot about the mage/warlock stuff ooc xD there ya go
Last edited by Felbion Lijawyn on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rainny

Post by Rainny »

Question six: As far as I've been able to figure out. There are different types of poisons. One that you can drink, and the other is applied to weapons and arrows. Now. The ones that you can drink are made the same as healing and mana potions, However require a very same ammount of understanding of herbs effects and the right catalyst. Nearly every alchemist knows how to make the strong drinkable poison that can kill you the moment you drink it. But then again, this requires you to be stupid enough(Or tricked) to drink it. Now. As for weapon poison, the one that is sold by the vendor only works for Arrows. It does not work for weapons, thus it was believed to be bugged. However it is possible to make a posion that sticks to weapons using the same catalyst. It just needs to have a druid with the right knowledge of the poisons to work on the blades. Also, it is believed the weapons themselves are bugged because peoples poisoning skill is not high enough to poison with it. However even the most novice a poisoners can poison with daggers here and there.
Hope this helped.
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

Kyre

Post by Kyre »

As for witch: Never actually heard that one used by a character ig
Maybe not yet. :twisted:

Agreeing with Athian's 2 cents I will just add: Officially the Salk prince was assassinated..rumor was at first an orc, later it was changed and no one is sure who is the culprit. The Salk army went back to the mainland after that as far as I know.
Felbion Lijawyn

Post by Felbion Lijawyn »

Those explanations were a personal view of the topic by Pella. Like I said, there's nothing official about the use of the terms. It's just a matter of the way your character was educated. It's the same with even some of the most basic explanations for magic working the way it does. There's tons of theories for almost everything in illa while only a small part has official background.
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

I meant the pella free one, because I remmebered the flames that came into be when she made that topic...

I've heard at least 3 characters claim to be witches.

And I knew about the Prince's assassination pretty well. I just never could decide what officially became of the Army because they vanished silently.
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

But the other explanations are nowhere near as entertaining.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Lets not staples Pellandria's former need for attention onto this ><

As said IG wise its just belief's and RP. System wise there is no difference other then the spread of Attributes.

Gameplay wise: High end magic stats are generally the term left for "mage" characters. They can learn to use weapons or crafting but when compared to a "battle-mage" they won't be anywhere near as good with them (of course depends on skills and attributes). A battle-mage basically nerf's of his or her own abilities in magic in order to be able to do other tasks that require more physical attributes like fighting or crafting a little better. Turns out that incidentally its one of the best Player vs Environment "classes" in illarion for the moment. a high skilled battle-mage doesn't need anyone else for anything and can generally take on most tasks solo. (warning: this may vary with with the VBU and it's new smarter monsters).

simply proves that there are other ways to get along in the game aside from maxing attributes in one direction or the other. Hopefully this will be something the game promotes more of in the future ^^

---

The potion bug i was speaking about was actually the purple potion that takes away life when drunk. That I believe was said to be a bug and not the actual intention. They can be somewhat problematic because if you aren't a druid you can't tell the difference between this minus brew and a healing potion, meaning that a nasty alchemist or druid might trick you into killing yourself.
Amira Ranevskaya

Post by Amira Ranevskaya »

Even I am confused on the warlock/battle mage definition at this point. Then again my character trained under Pellandria so what ever definition I got ig was from her teachings and unfortunate that is the definition Amira will probably stick to. Basically it goes back to that whole balance thing and knowing how to incorporate magic with melee fighting. I dunno how much of this is true any more, but at this point I almost consider warlocks to be rogue mages who aren't part of the academy (not that I know who is or isn't). I probably need to find Athain ig and be re-taught that definition actually as I am sure it has changed over time.

As for the witch title, I will admit to using that one as well. However that is, for me, an name generated from an rp story I did years ago, and is not an actual ig title as far as I know. I can not speak for other characters and their reasoning's behind using that term.
Flux

Post by Flux »

ltgmkay wrote:What -is- the difference between a Mage, warlock, and witch? The most accepted, simple difference.
I take the engine definition as:

Mage - Anyone with more than basic rune magic.
Warlock - A mage with bad intesswill and semi-fighter stats.
Witch - A female mage who wants to be different.
It's "sibanac", so apart from the missing "n" it's a semordnilap/volvogram/heteropalindrome/whatever you like to call those words. You can still smoke it with a pipe.
I roleplay as if everything happened and my char just lost that Ancient Artifact of Nazgaroth in a moment of stupidity. Generally, if there's something you lost in your depot and it was of any roleplay importance, just tell people ooc that a rollback killed it and people will just completely avoid that topic of conversation and you can act like it never mattered.
They're laminated.
They migrated for the winter.
I've personally never heard that one before.
Llama

Post by Llama »

ltgmkay wrote:Sibanic vs. Cannabis. Is there a reason these are close to being anagrams? if so.. why did somebody create an IG form of Marijuana, but not tobacco? I don't really remember the historical beginnings of either one too well... :roll:

They wouldn't even implement tobacco... why should they implement this?
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

Salk army helped the governer (Edric) Then decided to go back to tell their King that his son has died. Prob still at Sirani waiting for the barrel boat to leave.