On an Update beyond the VBU

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Cascarrabias

On an Update beyond the VBU

Post by Cascarrabias »

That's good to know, I won't bother to share my thoughts no more. I'll just stick to playing and no more. Thanks.

PS I guess you can delete this when ever you want. should l delete the other posts too?
Last edited by Cascarrabias on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Llama

Re: On an Update beyond the VBU

Post by Llama »

. . .

How about you wait for the VBU to be ready BEFORE you start making suggestions on how we can improve things eh? For all you know, we could convert all orcs to fairies, ban interracial communication, and require that every settlement have llama farms in it.

So how about you wait to see our solution to these 'problems' before you start suggesting new ones eh?
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

So you plan on creating a 2D WOW with llama farms?
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Who is this person?
Ardian

Post by Ardian »

Llama, don't be so harsh to new players!

@Cascarrabias: The ideas could be a bit difficult to realize technically, you should play Illarion a bit longer, if you really are a new player, to get a better view of what could be possible and what not.

And like the unfriendly Llama( :) ) said, the best is to wait for the update and see which changes are still relevant after the Update.
Cascarrabias

Post by Cascarrabias »

Arvemor wrote:Who is this person?
I have no idea, apparently he or she is a technical staffer that likes llamas but apart from that I have no clue.
Ardian wrote:Llama, don't be so harsh to new players!
Well hopefully I'll be new by this time next year, ie if the past due date on the VBU Soon™ expires by then. Cause I'm only here for the holidays, so till the 2nd, don't be too annoyed by suggestions from a Not so New, Not really Old, Player, of seldom occasions.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Don't take the llama too serious. We are not going to implement the Llama farms.

To the original poster: How do you know that those proposals are in this or a similar form not already part of the VBU?

Nitram
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Hey Cascarrabias, welcome to Illarion.

You'll have to excuse VBU developers for our general passive aggressive attitude towards new suggestions. The issue is, there is a gargantuan (and that's a euphemism) load of work to do before the VBU can be released and as much as we apperciate the good intentions behind suggesting new features, it can make developers feel pushed, urged or even unaccomplished. It's sort of when someone asks you to do the dishes. So you get to work but you soon realise there's so many you're not even going to have the time to finish cleaning up the plates tonight, then they come and suggest you iron the curtains so they look prettier. Their intentions are pretty good, but it'll frustrate you because someone's putting more work load on your back.

In general, we can tell you that the team has pretty much all of the "new features" for Illarion under control, well planified and under work to be released with the VBU for your enjoyment. Until then, it would be better to just sit tight and let us blow your mind as soon as the VBU is released! :D

Until then, if you have any suggestion you'd really like to share, feel free to shoot me a PM and if it's something new and awesome, I'll make sure to subtly plant the idea into the heads of the responsible developer! :twisted:

However, an even better way to help out if you're eager on getting that damned VBU released already is to actually land a physical hand and join the developing team! We're actually in dire need of a helping hand with programming, graphics, NPCs and books (The two latter require very little expertise, anyone can help, all you need is some keyboard oil and creativity!). Check out this thread for more information: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34475

Thanks and I'm eager to see you in-game.
Cascarrabias

Post by Cascarrabias »

Sorry, I tried not to come out as a jerk, demanding for a release or cracking the whip. As a volunteer based organization, I commend you getting this fa and really if the VBU hasn't come out by the time I peek in again, so be it.

But..

I have played other games and have seen systems at work that worked well in them. Also I see possible improvements and rather than PM'ing a staffer, I see it as a betterment to the idea to share it on a forum and let others nit pick it to a working order. For things that I have not thought out through or additional implementations. Even if there's no chance for implementation, the debate to make it practical and useful is good enough.
Nitram wrote:To the original poster: How do you know that those proposals are in this or a similar form not already part of the VBU?
I have no idea.
If they aren't well, look here's another idea and like the title suggest, it doe not have to go in the VBU or at all, this just an idea to see if you like it and to see if others like it as well.
If they are.. well here is my interpretation of your ideas and maybe you can use some of it, or maybe not.
It's all fine by me.
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

We appreciate your suggestions to help improve the game. However it is rather poor practice to join a game that has functioned for years and tell people how they could do things better after only playing for about a week.

Don't let that discourage you from playing. We love having people around and so long as you can role play all is well. Stick around for a while. After everyone has played the VBU for a month or two, I am sure ideas would be appreciated to improve it.
Cascarrabias

Post by Cascarrabias »

Well that's the whole point, I'm not going to be here to evaluate anything till sometime at the end of December, and that's a maybe. So instead of holding out on suggestions, I would rather share them now than when I can eventually play again. If they are taken or not, I don't care either way, just as long as they are out there for others to ponder over, is fine by me.

Last time I played was about a year or two ago, I didn't bother suggesting anything then, because I did not think I would be playing at all soon after. This time around I've seen some improvements and would like to contribute a suggestion or two. But if you don't want to take them, so be it. So see you all in a year, maybe.
Flux

Post by Flux »

The proposals board was taken out of the public domain eventually essentially because of one player's insistance that he repeatedly post his flawed ideas because his logic was "if I post 100 ideas and 99 of them are flawed, at least we have 1 good idea at the end of the day", but what we actually saw was spam. You should look at your ideas and give credit to the entourage of developers who aren't exactly idiots and consider that they've probably had your idea themselves before and very quickly seen the flaws in them. When you come up with such obvious ideas, you're essentially spamming.

If you come up with something that's actually amazing, unique and revolutionary, feel free to share it.