A restart of the world?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Restored

A restart of the world?

Post by Restored »

Why never can there be a restart of the world? It may attract new players, and allow them to help shape the world. I know that it may sound like a bad idea, but sometimes a clean slate can do wonders, and fix all the bad thats happened.
Grim_banned

Post by Grim_banned »

You mean a magic nuke that kills everyone? :P

Nah, not needed.. old players use to kill their kill their old chars and start fresh all the time :)
Restored

Post by Restored »

I mean a complete restart of the server chars stats, everything is deleted, and go back to the days o' colonization.
Sonara Stone

Post by Sonara Stone »

And erase hours of hard work? (Both PG-wise and rp-wise.) Nuh-uh, I don't think so.
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Then the gaps between the RPers and PGers would be even bigger.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

This has been done in the past, it was called the drought I believe. Ask the staff what happened to their player population after that? I believe I heard in another thread similar to this that the staff will -never- do that again. This thread should be locked IMO.
Restored

Post by Restored »

....what happened to the player population? Wouldn't it be good to get a fresh start?
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Doesn't sound like a good idea. Whose to say that players wouldn't just create the same characters over again?
Restored

Post by Restored »

The admins.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Nah nah. People like to have their characters (at least) one of
1. Rich
2. Skilled
3. Influential

Most players who have a character with above attributes would be pissed off, I'd imagine, if they had to start from scratch.
Flux

Post by Flux »

Charwipes are a stupid idea, because people who've been playing the game since the last wipe (i.e. April 05) then have to remake their well established characters, and all their years of hard work are done away with, while pro powergamers can become the most powerful people ig within half a week.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Agreed with Flux

Those who know how to PG really would surpass everyone else almost immediately. I doubt the GM's who are people and not robots want to have to babysit the entire game community every second and stop anyone who skills better then the mass. especially considering they would merely be trying to regain something taken form them by what would best be described as a rather needless wipe.

Half a week is an underestimation, you should see what a determined PG'er can do in 48 hours, cap included.

Before we say new players and players in general can't affect the game works we should at least wait until the VBU is finished and we're too a point where the staff can support more of the IG world and won't have to focus on improvements.
Restored

Post by Restored »

old players would be pissed off... and there's not many old players, what if it made more new players join? The population is so low right now it makes it unplayable 90 percent of the time. Especially seeing 30 people online and wondering where the smile they are.
Flux

Post by Flux »

The reasons why new players are leaving so often are being dealt with in the "VBU" (very big update) that the staff are working very hard on.
Restored

Post by Restored »

The only reason I don't play anymore is the lack of players. Can't stand it. I don't care about this VBU, I just want more players, and possibly to return to the ol' days
Athian

Post by Athian »

Restored wrote:old players would be pissed off... and there's not many old players, what if it made more new players join? The population is so low right now it makes it unplayable 90 percent of the time. Especially seeing 30 people online and wondering where the smile they are.
Its not the old players that are going to be pissed off^^ your not listening to the point are you? Just hearing what you want to hear.

If a wipe occurs every casual gamer who spent X amount of time building up there character to be formidable or respectable will be blown away. Then the minority of PG'ers will restore there lost ability in roughly 2 weeks, leaving all the casual gamers at there mercy.

In the end a wipe would be murder for a newbie because they would NEVER be able to outdo those who know the system and thus have 0 effect/influence in the game world.
Last edited by Athian on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

Your vision is quite narrow. There are people that have been playing their characters for years. Just think about if you had a job that you loved and you started out at 25K a year. Then you turned around and busted your ass to make it to 75k 10 years later. Then some hotshot new boss walks into the office and tells you that he is starting everyone over at their original salaries to be fair, for a fresh start.

wtf would you do? Quit. That is exactly what happened to so many players back in the drought. There are characters that have slowly been acquiring skills and wealth for years. Sure it takes (*coughs*) Matt a month or less to make a maxed out warrior, but most people don't play that way. The game should be about depth and creativity, and those that have been faithful to Illarion for YEARS should be rewarded with at least a continuously growing world, not one that gets reset on a whim.

As it was said earlier hitting restart only helps pgers. No
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Restored wrote:old players would be pissed off... and there's not many old players, what if it made more new players join? The population is so low right now it makes it unplayable 90 percent of the time. Especially seeing 30 people online and wondering where the smile they are.
That is a very fair point.
One that can't be answered unless a wipe is attempted. So if the population could go up or down it is perhaps too much of a risk.
Lord Arcia

Post by Lord Arcia »

It took me about a month or so after the char wipe to remake my character, Arcia.

I am not a powergamer. It's taken me since then to get to the point he is at now. That is years. And he isn't even that great of a fighter.

YEARS! I have put over 3000 hours playing this game. That is more hours playing this game than a person who wants to learn how to fly certain airplanes.

Seriously. Worst idea ever.
Taiah

Post by Taiah »

Restored wrote:The only reason I don't play anymore is the lack of players. Can't stand it. I don't care about this VBU, I just want more players, and possibly to return to the ol' days
I don't know who your char is. apparently an older player though? Why would you want to wipe skills and history (I assume) of that char? Even the youngest players in game can shape it. I have never gotten in game and not been able to get roleplay by just standing around troll's bane long enough. Perhaps you are looking for something in the "old days" that is not there anymore. Things change in game and unfortunately players leave, while some return. I also don't understand why you think a skill wipe would bring new players. Most older players wouldn't be available at all for the first month/week or so PGing their chars not to mention the elaborate history of some chars.
Especially seeing 30 people online and wondering where the smile they are.
You want a char wipe because you can't find players to RP with? :? Join a guild, join lots.. stick around Eliza's/tavern/workshop..try different times of the day. RP will come.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Restored wrote:The only reason I don't play anymore is the lack of players. Can't stand it. I don't care about this VBU, I just want more players, and possibly to return to the ol' days
There will never be a return of the old days, no matter how badly some of us wish or have wished it in the past. Believe me, I and many others have wished for that since 2005 and I made no secret at all of my serious dislike for the current client. There are plenty of old players still around, under new forum names with new characters (realistically speaking, characters die and must be replaced). But since the new client was introduced in 2005 and the character wipe that went along with it, we've had to go through a lot of readjusting.

Looking back, the previous charwipe didn't bring an influx of new players. The removal of the account application is what brought more players, but it also decreased the level of decent RP at first. We, as a community, have learned to teach new players how to role play and in turn we've learned things ourselves and enriched the entire gameplay experience. We've gained some players in this way that I wouldn't trade for the reimplementation of the application system.

If we were to introduce another charwipe and a reset of the world every now and then as you say, we would constantly have to start over again and the world would never advance because our new characters would have to always be doing what our previous characters had to go through time and time again. It would become stagnant, never changing in it's level of technology and systems. It would be unfair to the characters, let alone to the players who have spent hundreds and even thousands of hours on their characters AND their surroundings.

And you don't play "anymore"? Your forum account is new, created today even. Do you not want us to know who you are that thinks this, if you're one of our older and respected players? Suggestions like this tend to get a warmer response when we know who we're talking to rather than someone hiding behind an anonymous user name.

I hate to say it and I don't mean it in a cruel way, but if you don't like the way the game is, that is your problem. The GMs and Devs work hard to make this game what it is, and they get little recognition and thanks for it. There are other games out there you can try, but this game will never be what it was. It will always be different, and in some ways it will be better. Maybe not to you, but to a lot of others - old players included.
Anon of D'Athen

Post by Anon of D'Athen »

You know, I think this responce is why I never posted the idea me'self.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind very much. Would even enjoy it in some respects, I believe.
And I'm a casual gamer with a strong focus on RP who /is/ in one of those positions of power-Still, I'd be for it when we have this major change in the system. Simply because it would be an entirely clean slate on which to build the world.
But I doubt it'll happen. So I'll keep my characters, ;)
Athian

Post by Athian »

Anon of D'Athen wrote:You know, I think this responce is why I never posted the idea me'self.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind very much. Would even enjoy it in some respects, I believe.
And I'm a casual gamer with a strong focus on RP who /is/ in one of those positions of power-Still, I'd be for it when we have this major change in the system. Simply because it would be an entirely clean slate on which to build the world.
But I doubt it'll happen. So I'll keep my characters, ;)
Did you know your position is supported and defended by PG'ers? ^^ :P you'd be surprised how the simple reputations of some characters protect their entire group.

but I digress.

A restart on history as Quin said means no advancement in the world, we don't really need t restart. Learn to effect the world as it is now and give the Staff a chance to get back into the game's world and not just its technical side. Perhaps right now things are static but its unfair to complain about it while the staff is working hard to improve the game we play for free.

I don't think repetition of history is anything the game needs to go through.

edited for mass typo's ^^
Restored

Post by Restored »

The tired depopulated stagnating world of Gobaith gets boring after awhile, and no other game like Illarion exists, what can there be done to breathe new life other than a restart, a new history?
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Start a new game yourself.

With blackjack, and hookers.
Sonara Stone

Post by Sonara Stone »

rakust dorenstkzul wrote:Start a new game yourself.

With blackjack, and hookers.
QFHilariousness (and some truth)
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Restored wrote:The admins.
Okay.. Let me get your idea straight.

You want the Admins to take away everyone's characters, destroy the entire history of the game, and completely give Illarion (hell, is it even going to be called that anymore?) a clean slate all in the name of attracting new people? That sounds absolutely splendid.

Besides the two major flaws that come to my mind. One being the fact that no one in their right mind is going to find an empty and lifeless void of a game appealing. That's why when games are just starting out, there is usually less people that play them. Establishment is a major point of gaining valuable members, but Illarion is already established and I'm sure cleaning the slate won't send shock waves through the online RP community that causes ships of new players rushing our way.

We won't be the New World of gaming because all the characters are destroyed.

And the other issue that arises is the fact that a majority of the players who feel some sense of entitlement to their "hard work", which is an another argument in itself (it's a game people, who cares if you lost your mage sticks and your fairy boy warrior lost his skillz) will quit.

Still want to push the idea? :(
Friedwulfa

Post by Friedwulfa »

Restored wrote:The tired depopulated stagnating world of Gobaith gets boring after awhile, and no other game like Illarion exists, what can there be done to breathe new life other than a restart, a new history?
I think something like a fire which forces the players to build and rebuild new buildings or even towns etc. I had this idea with silverbrand, but it failed, because i planned bad.
Restored

Post by Restored »

There'd need to be an earthquake to rebuild silberbrand, stone can't be set on fire as far as I know... :D
Llama

Post by Llama »

You clearly have never played Dwarf Fort :P