New Hope Charity

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Seori

Post by Seori »

The Grovestrider Darius has graciously offered the Grovestrider cave as a temporary haven for NHC and her charges. Every orphan can now have a place to shelter from the elements and a safe place to lay down their heads. Thank you to the Grovestriders for their generosity, large hearts, and warm compassion!
Seori

Post by Seori »

A new Clothing Bank Coordinator is dearly needed to fill in the empty place left by the passing away of sister Demelza. Demelza leaves a noble legacy behind in her 'Clothe the Cold' campaign to make shabbily dressed poor folk in rags a thing of the past. While everyone at NHC is grieving over the loss of our dear sister, the orphans and newcomers continue to require a soul that cares to have compassion on and serve them. A background in tailoring would be a blessing, but a heart of loving kindness is the only necessity.
Seori

Post by Seori »

We are thankful that someone has stepped forward to do their part for the less fortunate who do not have enough clothing to keep warm.
Seori

Post by Seori »

NHC would like to fondly congratulate our sponsor Tialdin on his successful reclamation of the kingship of Silverbrand. We are confident that his benevolence will be a blessing!
Seori

Post by Seori »

With great joy, I want to announce the commitment of the respected mage Mel and her apprentices to contribute a generous supply of food for NHC's Food Bank over a period of time. Their good work and compassionate hearts means that there is truly hope for the community's less fortunate.

A child at NHC wanted to share this poem that she wrote especially for Mel and her apprentices:

Although my need is great,
My gratitude is more.
But you are like the sunshine,
Drowning all in light.
Seori

Post by Seori »

We are looking for volunteers to read storybooks with little children, stage a magical illusion show for the kids, teach about life skills, and come in to give testimonials about their setbacks and successes to motivate and inspire.
Seori

Post by Seori »

NHC has hidden free sweets and treats around town for fortunate people as a gesture of goodwill to the community. Thank you for helping make NHC's vision come true!
Seori

Post by Seori »

This is an announcement for all the clients of NHC:

With great joy, I want to let every orphan and unemployed person know that Banduk the Merchant has graciously offered solid work with fair pay for anyone who will seek him out. This is a great opportunity to develop job skills and advance your careers, so don't miss it!
HeXiS

Post by HeXiS »

Dear NHC if you need more fishing supplies please let me know so i can begin gathering materials.

Darius Kain

Grovestriders
Seori

Post by Seori »

Darius,

Thank you for writing. Your wonderful fishing kits idea has seen much success in transforming the lives of vagrants and newcomers. I have witnessed them being put to good use and they have been so effective that they have all been used up. I believe that your testimonial of your setbacks and achievements, trials and tribulations that led to who you are today would be a great encouragement for everyone so I would like to give you permission to post it here on NHC's boards.

Grace and mercy,
Seori
Seori

Post by Seori »

Praise the faithful and loving Providence of the divine! At long last, a stable home has been provided for New Hope Charity and all her affiliates. A better home could not have been hoped for! At Silverblade Abbey formerly known as Castle Goldburg, there are enough beds for all the homeless, well-equipped workshops to train unskilled workers, and even a pantry and cellar to feed all the little children! To celebrate this joyous occasion, every soul is invited to stop by and be welcomed with good cheer and many refreshments!
Last edited by Seori on Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Seori

Post by Seori »

With much joy, I hereby announce that Bernie Bottoms, representing the "Gobaith Chamber of Commerce, has become the latest sponsor of New Hope Charity. May his business be blessed and his trading prosperous!
Seori

Post by Seori »

In light of the frigid weather, New Hope has been weaving fur-lined robes and cloaks. Please knock at the gates of Silverblade Abbey to be welcomed with a piping hot bowl of soup and your gift of a winter robe.

Season's Greetings!
Seori

Post by Seori »

I would like to extend a warm welcome to Caewyn who has come to work with us at Silverblade's Infirmary. She is a young and bright healer-in-training with a compassionate heart who is going to donate her time to our patients who often do not have the means to pay for their treatments. Please make her feel at home as a new sister!
zda

Post by zda »

Dear NHC i will glady bake some cookies for you if you can use them please let me know if you do i would also like to be a sponser what do i need to become one.

~GroveStrider Zach Dawson~
Seori

Post by Seori »

Dear Zach,

To become a sponsor the most important thing is to have a well-meaning heart, which it seems you have in full. If you want to become a full-time, dedicated sponsor like me who devotes her life to the cause of those in need then you can take some steps to approach the Rites of Initiation. By passing the rites you can become a Novice of the Abbey and take on further responsibilities. I kindly direct you to our Abbott, Brother Coloman, who can offer you further assistance on this path.

Grace and mercy,
Seori
Seori

Post by Seori »

Parchment nailed to the gates of Silverblade Abbey
Dear brethren,

Our beloved Abbot Brother Milo Bottoms has stepped down after a personal journey of self-discovery.
But he will always be present and continue to support us in these dark times. He is forever our "Friend of Honour" and is always welcome in the Abbey.

Brother Coloman has stepped up to take up the Abbot's Staff to guide us to a better tomorrow. I have attached his personal letter to you all.

Grace and mercy,
Seori

We must stick together and care for each other on our divine path. Together, we, The Abbey, will stand and never be broken.
I have a vision of a time when the demons are gone and the people on this island are virtuous and religious. This vision will certainly be realized with your help and the help of our like-minded brothers and sisters.

I pray to the goddess.
May she be always with us.

~Priest Coloman
Abbot of Silverblade Abbey
Seori

Post by Seori »

If you are a registered and approved of NHC sponsor then you have been chosen to take part in a special tour of the Abbey to personally witness the good work being done there that you are supporting.

Please message Seori to RVSP as space is limited.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

New Hope Charity,

It has been six months since we chose to sponsor you in your mission. In those six months you have neither asked for supplies nor support. We have not communicated on how to improve the lives in Gobaith nor have you been seen performing your mission. What is your mission by the way? We have not seen any effects of it.

This leads us to believe that the work intended is not being done, what we intended to sponsor, is not being done and we therefore cannot continue to sponsor you as a Charity anymore.

You see, we update our workers, activities and even Charities we support on a monthly, sometimes Daily Basis. An inactive Charity is worse than no charity at all. We cannot afford to keep an 'inactive' charity on our books. We hereby withdraw our support for New Hope Charity.

Deepest Regrets,
~Bernie Bottoms Littlethorn
~Chairman, Chamber of Commerce
Seori

Post by Seori »

Dear Bernie,

I regret that you seem to have misunderstood what it means to be a good sponsor. To be a good sponsor means more than saying that you will support orphans and getting yourself listed as a charitable organization. To be a truly good sponsor you should take the initiative and be proactive in caring for the needy. You ask about our mission. Taking the time to read the mission statement of the charity you signed up for would be a proactive step. You seem confused and ignorant about the charitable activities of the charity you chose to sponsor. Where were you at the tour organized especially for the charity's sponsors? The needy are helped by active sponsors who take the time to get involved and find out how they can best lend their support.

With grace and mercy,
Seori
Abbey Silverblade
Location: Silverblade/ Goldburg. Come and join us, we have cookies!

Post by Abbey Silverblade »

Dear sponsors of the New Hope Charity,

the domicile of the New Hope Charity is in the Silverblade Abbey, as it stands on the Silverblade Board.
I want to describe the character of a sponsor.
A sponsor is a good person who believe that his engagement does serve the people in need. Helping people should not be an intention to capitalize on a profit.
Sponsoring is a gesture of charity, propriety and sincerity, which are parts of the Five Divine Virtues of Silverblade Abbey.
The New Hope Charity gives itself over the poor people of the island which is a virtuous act.
It is very disappointing to read your letter, Bernie Bottoms. Do not concentrate of this that you can see ... keep in mind that an organisation does have its duties which are viewable but some parts are not viewable. You can read parts of the mission of the NHC at the Silverblade Abbey-board.
The NHC and the Abbey is very thankful for each person who wage this step of a sponsor and carry on this way. Everybody should ask himself/ herself if he/ she is the right person. This person should have trust the NHC and the Abbey in their doings.

I ask you, Prior Seori, to send me a dove of the updated sponsor list.
And I would like to meet you, Bernie Bottoms, as I wrote it in my dove which I have send you. Please send me a dove about possible coming meeting in the Abbey.

May the gods enlighten your mind,

~Abbot Coloman
Silverblade Abbey
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Seori wrote:Dear Bernie,

To be a truly good sponsor you should take the initiative and be proactive in caring for the needy. ..... Seori
Seori,
You're wrong. We are a Business, not a Charity. You are supposed to be the experts at providing food and clothing. Yet when I ask about "New Hope Charity" from locals, even newcomers, it is slander, gossip and criticism. No-one talks of the works at NHC.

We have not seen the work that you claim to provide, and that is enough for us to look for more 'vibrant' Chariities to sponsor. We judge by works, not words.

Brother Colomon,
Thank you for your letter, but our decision is made. It was made not for profit, but effectiveness. We simply believe there are other 'active' charities that deserve and ask for our support.

Thank you,
~Bernie Bottoms Littlethorn
~Chairman, Chamber of Commerce
Seori

Post by Seori »

NHC will be holding our second annual Golden Jubilee to celebrate the anniversary of the founding of the charity. All our beloved sponsors are invited to a week of ongoing song, dance, and great feasting from our Champion Chef Sodo. The event is also open to all good creatures who are each cordially invited to take their seats at the Great Hall of Silverblade Abbey. There is no fee, but all donations are welcomed and may be deposited in the Abbey's tithing chest.
Seori

Post by Seori »

The First of the Five Divine Virtues: Charity

What is Charity?

From Chapter 1 of the Divine Book:

"Charity not a feeling

What then, is charity? One of the distinctions to be understood – charity is not a feeling!

Charity springs forth from the heart; it is the heart, the ocean. It is not just a feeling, feelings are merely ripples. They cost nothing, and they mean nothing.

This is something that many creatures have often gotten wrong; they’ve categorized charity as a feeling – a mere emotion! No different from anger, from humor, from pride. These are all fleeting, they’re all based on something that passes away in time. He feels angry; his mule has stopped for the third time. Her son won the local dueling tournament, her chest swelled with pride.

And is this what charity is? Just a mere, fleeting, emotion? You see a child who has fallen, scraped her knee, and you feel a surge of pity. Is that all it is? Something that arises and then disappears, never to be seen again? If that is so – was it even there in the first place?

What do feelings matter, when your house is on fire? A man of feeling will cry and shout while your possessions are burning. A man of charity will begin moving! He does not waver – it simply has to happen, he simply has to do something. Charity moves your body – you have no choice in the matter."
Last edited by Seori on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seori

Post by Seori »

((Source: http://www.urbanmonk.net/203/what-compa ... ot-part-5/))

"Charity is not just action

And the opposite is just as true. Charity is not just action. Action on its own can come from many different motivations, and none of them charitable.

The numerous confessions, early motivations for giving money to the homeless - one wants to look good in front of a courtesan, one is afraid they might harass oneself, one wants to believe in reincarnation. And this is exactly what is happening all around the world.

Some businessmen give to charity – what for? Reputation in the eyes of the world, marketing for their business, or perhaps some sort of internal quest for redemption. So it stands: Money alone is not a measure of your charity.

Healers, social workers, and counselors. Some are the most beautiful of hearts, but others are in it purely for the money. And yet others are burnt out, secretly hating their job. They wear a counterfeit smile, they go through the motions without any heart. So it stands: Actions alone are not a measure of one's charity.

These acts of benevolence were blunt bargains – they were trading skills for money, money for reputation, money for marketing, time for approval – and on and on it goes.

And it makes one wonder – wouldn’t their acts of charity, however grand, be subtly contaminated? Wouldn’t the recipients feel it? Wouldn’t the hungry man at the soup kitchen feel the disguised disdain when he receives the soup, wouldn’t his pride be bleeding even as his stomach is being filled?

Wouldn’t the internal conflict be carried over to whatever they were doing? An angry person, a sad person, they will be angry and sad regardless of where they are. They might find a worthy cause and genuinely strive to make a difference, but their anger goes with them, and finds somewhere to explode. This happens many times, people fighting tooth and nail over petty organizational details – over the best way to arrange the chairs at the charity fair, over the budget, how much on the bard and how much on the drinks…"
Last edited by Seori on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Seori

Post by Seori »

"Charity is a state of being

What, then, is charity? It is a state of mind, a condition of the heart.

A great spiritual leader of the lizard people was once observing the passing of people dropping coins into the temple-city's Temple treasury. Many wealthy merchants their belts loaded with bags of gold coins bursting at the seams easily dumped a fortune into the Temple treasury. But the wise sage kept his eyes focused on one derecript lizardwoman bent over double with age who carefully placed a single copper coin into the Temple treasury. He then turned to ask his disciples, "Who do you think has gained the favor of the divine this day?" Zelpirrh (or Honored Teacher), we do not know.", answered one of the disciples. "I tell you the truth, this poor lizardwoman has given more than any of the others. All the others gave out of the surplus of their wealth, but she out of her severe poverty gave all that she had to live on."

What was the wise sage judging her on? Some might say that he was judging her on the percentage, on the numbers – she had given it her all. But he was judging her on what lies beneath her actions – a heart, a heart big enough to give everything she had.

Charity cannot be assessed simply on the basis of our behaviors. Charity cannot be assessed on the number of silver coins we have donated.

The confusion here has arisen, simply because the carrot and the horse have been put the wrong way round. Generosity – the giving of one’s all – arises first, from a soft heart. Aid, warmth, a meaningful contribution to the world – they come after you create that state of being within.

In fact, when you become loved by the divine, when you accept this divine love and have your wounds healed by the love of the divine – an authentic way of being arises, and then it is impossible for your actions not to be infused with charitable warmth and kindness."
Seori

Post by Seori »

NHC is organizing visits to prisoners to share truth with them that they might see, love so that they may be healed, and hope that they may rejoice. If you believe you have any of these things, please talk to Seori. Truly it is more blessed to give than to receive, and the least of your deeds of charity will be rewarded in heaven.
Pugnacious

Post by Pugnacious »

Seori,

My client will not be receiving any visits from those not having anything to do with this case.
You may speak with him after the trial.

Council for Bernie Bottoms,
Jym Goldman
Seori

Post by Seori »

Dear NHC Sponsors,

NHC is currently in talks with the Governor to arrange a decreased taxation for citizens that tithe to charity such as NHC sponsors. We hope this will encourage piety and good conscience among the populace.

Grace,
Seori
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Be greeted,

"Talk" is usually two parties exchanging verbal communication. I've yet to even answer back to your dove.

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane