lizard's tongue

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Jupiter
Developer

lizard's tongue

Post by Jupiter »

Is the tongue of the liazardmen split like of a snake or not?
Some roleplay it so, others not.

I would say yes. Why else would so many liazrds use sss and shhh while speaking (not every lizard does , though).

No "roleplay as you want"-answer, please. I would prefer a clear answer by a GM.
Vheraun

Re: lizard's tongue

Post by Vheraun »

Jupiter wrote:Why else would so many liazrds use sss and shhh while speaking (not every lizard does , though).
Because they have an inborn speech defect.....they lisp a bit and try to overrade it ;)
Magdha Tiefenerz

Post by Magdha Tiefenerz »

Does a split/forked tongue force you to lisp and to use more s-sounds? I have never seen a snake speak so it is hard to tell.
Randnar

Post by Randnar »

Magdha Tiefenerz wrote:Does a split/forked tongue force you to lisp and to use more s-sounds? I have never seen a snake speak so it is hard to tell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28SE_lWKnlE
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

Randnar wrote:
Magdha Tiefenerz wrote:Does a split/forked tongue force you to lisp and to use more s-sounds? I have never seen a snake speak so it is hard to tell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28SE_lWKnlE
I cant even tell if he lisps in that...

But I always picture lizardmen as having thinner tongues, which may contribute to a lisp more than taking a knife to a human tongue.
Silo

Post by Silo »

He does have a lisp in that. Also, to my knowledge, a lisp can be formed when the touch goes too far out of the mouth when one uses an "S". Assuming lizardmen have long tongues, this'd cause the lisp.

In my mind, lizardmen have long, thin, forked tongues. And they probably taste the air. That's how I'd RP it.
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

Silo wrote:He does have a lisp in that. Also, to my knowledge, a lisp can be formed when the touch goes too far out of the mouth when one uses an "S". Assuming lizardmen have long tongues, this'd cause the lisp.

In my mind, lizardmen have long, thin, forked tongues. And they probably taste the air. That's how I'd RP it.
My thoughts exactly.
Flux

Post by Flux »

The lisp is caused by the tongue against the incisors.
Netsirk

Post by Netsirk »

i have a friend that has a split tounge...and she does not talk like a lizard :) just a normal person
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

I heard Chinese businessmen sometimes get a small cut in their tongue so they can talk more western.
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

Netsirk wrote:i have a friend that has a split tounge...and she does not talk like a lizard :) just a normal person
I believe that was already discussed.... splitting a human tongue doesnt create a lisp. Refer to my post and His Greatness Flux for a better view on it.
Netsirk

Post by Netsirk »

i was just letting you all know i finally made a friend in rl XD
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Suppose that the lizard tongue itself is heavy on Sssshhhh sounds and chhhhhh sounds, which generates something akin to a ridiculously heavy accent when attempting to speak common. This also explains why certain lizards speak perfect common (or "don't use shhh sounds") because as we know, accents are something that can be lost by some if they practice hard enough/ have talent with languages.

Not a GM but I reckon that makes sense.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Mr. Cromwell wrote: Not a GM but I reckon that it doesn't really matter.
Some say orcs should speak plain English in orcish too, posh even, but noone does because it's just fun to talk rediculous, and fun is what it's all about!

GO GO NETSIRK
Llama

Post by Llama »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:Some say orcs should speak plain English in orcish too, posh even,
I actually do that with my lizards. I assume the lizard language is so full of sssses that when you speak lizard you can speak it perfectally.
Flux

Post by Flux »

The worst one is when you see a lizard write "sss" on a BOARD.

Oh dear.

It's alright when orcs write their accents because they're stupid and they'd just write phonetically, and end up writing their mistaken language as what they interpret as correct. Lizards though.. seriously..?
Sssari

Post by Sssari »

Flux wrote:The worst one is when you see a lizard write "sss" on a BOARD.

Oh dear.

It's alright when orcs write their accents because they're stupid and they'd just write phonetically, and end up writing their mistaken language as what they interpret as correct. Lizards though.. seriously..?
Totally agree.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Sssari wrote:
Flux wrote:The worst one is when you see a lizard write "sss" on a BOARD
Totally agree.
Sssari...
Flux

Post by Flux »

Clearly should just be Sari :P .
orgis

Post by orgis »

I brought this up a wee while ago with the orc Po's but I guess lizard yins would be having the same problems as well..

When typing in the lizard tongue, do yous do the whole "Sssssszz" thing? I'd think they wouldn't have that problem considering its their own language and thus wouldn't have any problems specking it correctly.
Sirith-Rym

Post by Sirith-Rym »

I began doing it that way because I agree with you. But then all the other lizards I've met kept doing the "ssss" so I gave in to the influence of my peers. :(
orgis

Post by orgis »

Sirith-Rym wrote:I began doing it that way because I agree with you. But then all the other lizards I've met kept doing the "ssss" so I gave in to the influence of my peers. :(
Ahh well, at least you don't make your lad out to more stupider (who knew that was a word? :lol: ) by making it out your char never grasped his own language fully. Really orcies... or are we playing to the dumb dumb stereotype? :lol:
Sssari

Post by Sssari »

Flux wrote:Clearly should just be Sari :P .
\\

Clearly thats how it is in the lizard language you punks! Its pronounced Sis-Sari!
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

To make it correct: I do not care for the S-sounds.

I just want to know if the tongue is split or not. Many play so, others not. This is nothing were you have to discuss about, but simply something where someone has to decide. Or a GM decides that liazrds can have both: a "normal" tongue or a split tongue.
Magdha Tiefenerz

Jupiter wrote:To make it correct: I do not care for the S-sounds.

I just want to know if the tongue is split or not. Many play so, others not. This is nothing were you have to discuss about, but simply something where someone has to decide. Or a GM decides that liazrds can have both: a "normal" tongue or a split tongue.
Sorry, but I don't understand why this is something that has to be decided. Why is it a problem that some lizardmen have a split/forked tongue and some not? Even within one species not every one is the same. For example: some people have dark skin, some people have slanted eyes, etc.
So, yes, in the end I would say play as you like as long it is clear somehow that it is a lizardman.
I think that the more riged the background becomes the less fun it is because it is harder to find something that suits someone.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Magdha Tiefenerz wrote:Why is it a problem that some lizardmen have a split/forked tongue and some not?
No one said that.

However, I want to have a reliable answer. I thought maybe other players would like to know it also. If they don't care for an answer, they just don't have to read it.
Llama

Post by Llama »

You're not going to get one - the best you're going to get is "My lizard does" or "My lizard doesn't" or some weird speculation on whether lisps and cut tongues are correlated.

Some lizards do, some lizards don't, just like the colour of their scales, whether they have shapes at the back of their neck, or other finer details.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

That's why I wanted an answer by a GM and not from some strange players like you :P
Grim_banned

Post by Grim_banned »

Why dont you PM a GM then, instead of opening sensless discussions?
Magdha Tiefenerz

Grim wrote:Why dont you PM a GM then, instead of opening sensless discussions?
Jupiter wrote:I thought maybe other players would like to know it also. If they don't care for an answer, they just don't have to read it.