The Noobiators / Die Noobiatoren

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I am not sure how often we can catch anyone actually in Newbia ...having gone just randomly seeing new players online and they must have been past the island, but it is worth a try especially for those having difficulty.

A couple of quick suggestions not necessary but a "would be nice". Give the guides torches to carry when dark.. even though you can see well there.. would be a nice touch and an introduction to when in game.

Have simple clothes.. robe/trousers, or shirt/trousers a guide can give for those that notice they are naked :wink:
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

I already started and try to make some simple clothes at the tailor's workshop. Am not sure if I will succeed though, I don't know how much skill I need to do so, and for now, I have close to zero ^^.
But as no newbie is online right now, it is worth a try.
Damien

Post by Damien »

List of Noobiators updated !
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

I agree with Alex ((Shocker 8) )) That we need a depot guide... for many reasons. Not the least of which being the fact that Depots and chests are confusing at first.

As for clothes, (I'm also sitting around at the tailors working on those for the occasional noob that notices his lack of clothes, as well as in case its possible to get sick from being in the cold there
Damien

Post by Damien »

I have welcomed two new players today. Both seemed capable of good roleplay, the second one, a bard, was exceptional !
Vheraun

Post by Vheraun »

Hey, I was too late....this Tutorial was going on my nervs xD.

I thought about a thread, where "Newbies" can post their feedback about the guides, so we can learn from the critiques. Maybe we offer too much or too little help. We cannot know it, so what are you thinking, you other guides?
Damien

Post by Damien »

Everyone has their own preferences and likings / dislikings, so we can't find the ideal point for everyone. If all guides kinda stick to the above rules, we'll only experience problems from people who really want t cause trouble.
Your idea is a pretty good thing though, please post a "first impressions from new players" thread or so ! Anything from how they experienced the game, the guides and the atmosphere seems well placed in such a thread.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Fun Fact: When I first logged on, Damien and Loki were hanging around the login area doing exactly this =). Probably the only reason I didnt stop playing after 20 seconds.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Best of luck with this project!

Maybe this helps; I wrote some guidelines for newbies guides long ago:
Do:

...be friendly
...welcome the newbies and offer your help
...answer questions
...roleplay if possible
...use emotes
...introduce your character
...seperate OOC from IC
...show the players what to do on the island
...think about a small background story for your character. Something simple preferred (fisherman, peasant, ...)
...tell them some words about the world. Mention things instead of explaining them
...say "Entschuldige, ich spreche kein deutsch." if you encounter a german player and don't understand a word
...!gm if you encounter anything you cannot handle
...log your chat and present it to GMs in case you are not sure how to handle situations

Don't:

...chase or nerve players who refuse your help or don't respond
...tell players what to do but show them what you do as an example instead
...use OOC from the beginning
...spam the newbies with the background story of Illarion
...mock players for names, l33t speak, OOC, violating the rules, ...
...enforce the rules. Never
...cause any harm to characters in any way
...act like a police force or a bouncer. Or even a GM
...tell people this is not a game for them. Never
...suggest players to log out or change their name
...get caught in long discussions or unnecessary debates OOC
...favor friends of yours in any way
...pretend to be anything you are not
...make fun of stupid players
...teach the players stuff that is not part of the newbie island unless you are asked to
...idle
...crowd the island with 5 other guides
...keep players on the newbie island but motivate them to enter the main land if needed
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

Ich bin eben mal wieder über komplett Noobia gelatscht und habe nach dem einen neuen Spieler gesucht der angeblich online war. Nachdem ich wirklich jedes Eck systematisch durchkämmt habe musste ich feststellen dass ich meine Zeit verschwendet habe *seufz*.

Gibt es wirklich keine Chance dass man wenigstens für die Guides sichtbar macht ob ein Newbie auf Noobia ist? Das würde die Arbeit extrem erleichtern und den Frustrationsfaktor deutlich senken *g*.
Estralis Seborian

Wie sollte eine solche Lösung aussehen?
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

Zum Beispiel "4 neue Spieler sind online die nicht auf der Liste angezeigt werden, davon 2 auf Noobia."

Ein kleiner Zusatz und juhu, wir sparen uns ne lange Suche.
Estralis Seborian

Also eine Anzeige auf der Homepage? Das geht nicht so ohne weiteres, soweit ich weiß.
Nitram wrote:Die Verwaltungsarchitektur der Charakterdaten von Illarion erlaubt eine solche Funktion nicht und es gibt keine Chance das zu ändern ohne grundlegende Änderungen in der Charakterverwaltung von Server und Datenbank.

Dafür währe ein immenser Aufwand nötig der durch dieses Feature nicht gerechtfertigt werden kann.

Nitram
Auch für GMs wird nur angezeigt, dass ein Spieler sich beim Einloggen(!) auf Noobia befand, die Homepage kann nicht kontrollieren, wer wo ist. Wenn diese Information ausreicht denke ich, dass man das eines Tages mal einbauen kann, wenn nichts wichtigeres ansteht.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Wie wäre es mit dem EInbau einer !guide funktion?
Ähnlich wie GM bekommen die eingetragenen Guides ne Info wenn jemand Hilfe braucht...
Estralis Seborian

!#/-Befehle sollen nach und nach aus dem Spiel verschwinden bzw. unnötig werden.

Wie würdest du nebenbei auf solch eine Anfrage antworten wollen?

Wir haben einen Chat, wo jeder neue Spieler schnell Hilfe bekommen kann; nur findet man dort selten Newbies. Warum? Wie kann man den Chat besser "promoten"?
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Bei neuen Spielern eine IG-Einblendung:
Bei Fragen kannst du dich im Forum, dem Chat auf der Homepage oder via Instant-Messenger bei den Guides melden.
Estralis Seborian

So in etwa?

Code: Select all

outText2=base.common.GetNLS(player,"#w Hilfe erhältst du jederzeit im Illarion-Chat oder auf dem Illarion-Forum, welche auf der Homepage verlinkt sind.","#w You can get help of any kind in the Illarion chat or the Illarion forum. You can find a link to both on the homepage.");
Diese Nachricht würde jeder Noob (und auch nur die) beim Einloggen bekommen.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Jau, klingt gut. VIelleicht 1 Monat lang einblenden? Geht des?
Estralis Seborian

Gehen tut vieles, aber das ist mir zu viel Arbeit. Müßte ich erstmal eine Routine entwerfen, mit der ich feststellen kann, wann ein Char das 1. mal eingelogt hat und wann denn nun ein Monat um ist... Und da bin ich nicht gut drin. Gute Lösungen sind häufig auch einfache Lösungen - ich kann nur einfache Lösungen umsetzen, für alles andere braucht man Leute, die wichtigeres zu tun haben ;-).
Juliana D'cheyne

The translator may be off, so am double checking this in English. I gather 1. there is no way for a guide to tell if a player is in Noobia versus Gobaith and no way to tell when we get on the island if we are AGAIN searching for the same player we did previously? It has been fairly frustrating up to this point.
Vheraun

Post by Vheraun »

My proposal:

When there is no possibility to distinguish between "new player on Noobia" and "new player on Gobaith" we shall make some "working-range" for us.
That means that our chars are always on one place -> their working-place, where they RP, PG...and talking to the new players :D
So we dont have to walk across the whole Noobia for searching them.

Disadvantage: it could be boring for them, who are placed on an area, where nobody want to go or where new players go really rarely.

Advantage: The spreading ist not like: 3 Guides on the isle for learning [...], so the 3 guides are "wrestling" for that one new player, who is there.... and the next isle is empty.

Your opinion: ?
Damien

Post by Damien »

Focus guide activity on two places :

1. Portal room, for those who have finished the tutorial
2. Area between Entrance place / harbour (to welcome new ones) and the portal room.

We should try to leave players around the crafting system teaching NPCs to their business and not distract them.
Adding that resumee to the first post ! :wink:
Last edited by Damien on Tue May 25, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juliana D'cheyne

You don't think for continuity it would be best to have just one guide per new player?
Damien

Post by Damien »

We can't assign players to guides and vice versa, without the engine supporting stuff like that. Would be hell of an organisating spree without. Although if several are online at the same time, and they are in the same location so they can converse, fire one at the por noob and let the others watch ! One could play rock, scissors, paper or so to choose...

I've updated the first post with a suggestion on which areas to focus. Or more like, to let newbies at the crafting teachers to their own business.
Of course that is not meant to keep the guides from powerg.. i mean, making helpful welcome presents at the crafting places for the new players while no new player is online ! :wink:
Last edited by Damien on Tue May 25, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juliana D'cheyne

Guides could post here if they are actively helping a new player. This would prevent the player from being deluged :wink: .. and would also help the guide when feedback is obtained.
Damien

Post by Damien »

True, but could also spammify the topic here if we get more than ten new players a day :lol:

I think it's good enough if the guides have introduced to each another, so they can recognize the others, as well as to meet in the throne/portal room to organize stuff like that.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

How about something like a slightly bigger newbie dungeon part, that the guides could guide the Dronruls through a bit, instead of just one zombie?

Also, on a slightly less related note, how about talking to certain npc's for choosing your starter items, instead of selecting it before even having played the game? This way they can be helped and guided a bit before choosing.
Damien

Post by Damien »

We just have to watch out not to make guides mandatory. Having both options, NPCs and guides too,miht work best. Soinds like good stuff for the proposal board though.
But let's see what we can do with what we have now. Improvements are always a good thing ! Just the effort to make them might be not possible as long as them all are working on the VBU. :wink:
Damien

Post by Damien »

Again, i seem to have a new player here who seems kinda annoyed about the first NPC and the barrier not allowing him through to further parts of the world. Doing all stuff possible. ;) he's not talkative though and just seems annoyed.
Vheraun

Post by Vheraun »

I have met a nice player, a tailor. That was THE moment I noticed that all players on Noobia start without any clothes -> nacked. Does it makes sense? Shal it be like Adam and Eva at the beginning? Its not a serious question, I found it funny.