Schatzkarten / Treasure maps

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Estralis Seborian

Schatzkarten / Treasure maps

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Liebe Illarioniten,
im Rahmen unserer Arbeit am "großen Update" bleibt kein Bestandteil des Spieles verschont und somit habe ich mich den Schatzkarten angenommen. Vieles ist schon erledigt und erdacht, aber ich möchte auch gerne um Anregungen aus der Spielerschaft bitten, was noch verbessert werden kann. Hierfür wäre ich für Meinungen erfahrener "Schatzjäger" dankbar. Die Arbeit an folgenden Aspekten ist bereits weit forgeschritten und ich benötige keine Anregungen mehr:
  • Methoden (z.B. Fischen) und Parameter, wie man Schatzkarten erlangt
  • Inhalt der Schätze
  • Wächter der Schätze
  • Bugfixes (z.B. Schätze unter Bergen)
Vielmehr interessieren mich Details, die nicht jedem sofort ins Auge springen, hier bin ich für jeden Hinweis dankbar. Beispiele:
  • Nachrichten der Engine während der Schatzjagd
  • Fummeligkeiten in der Bedienung der Engine
  • Exploits und technische Kollisionen mit anderen Features
Bitte nutzt dieses Topic nicht, um generell über das "Für und Wider" von Schatzkarten oder gar Magie zu diskutieren - es hilft nicht, den derzeitigen Zustand zu verbessern. Auch ist es weit hilfreicher, zwei Meinungen zu hören anstatt eine Meinung zu hören, der dann in 20 Posts widersprochen wird. Ich bin für jede konstruktive Anregung dankbar und werde mich bemühen, alles, was sinnvoll und möglich ist, umzusetzen!

~GM Estralis

---

Fellow Illarionites,
not a single feature remains untouched for the "big update". Hence, I took over overhauling treasure maps. Much work was already done but I still want to ask for input from the community what has to be improved. I appreciate any opinion of our experienced "treasure hunters". Work on these aspects is already in a mature state and I can't really use any input on them:
  • Methods (e.g. fishing) and parameters how to obtain treasure maps
  • Content of treasures
  • Guardians of treasures
  • Bugfixes (e.g. treasures beneath mountains)
I am more interested in not so obvious details. Examples:
  • Messages of the engine during hunting treasures
  • Clumsynesses of the interface of the engine
  • Exploits and technical "collisions" with other features
Please, refrain from using this topic to discuss about the "pro and contra" of treasure maps or even magic - it won't help to improve the current state. Also, I am more interested in reading two different opinons rather than one opinion that is cut to pieces in twenty posts afterwards. I appreciate any constructive hints and I'll do my best to implement everything that is reasonable and possible!

~GM Estralis
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

As hilarious as it is to spawn a Yr map inside Trollsbane.
I think there are obvious reasons why it should be restricted.

I also think it would be nice to get some sort of message when the treasure is released.
If its behind a tree or something people often run around looking for a non-existant last guardian.

Other than that most issues I have are ones of balance or areas that you have already looked at.
Estralis Seborian

No treasure location inside (or very close to) a town - DONE.
Message upon slaying the last guardian (along with some GFX and SFX) - DONE.

---

Kein Schatzversteck in einer Stadt oder in direkter Umgebung - FERTIG.
Eine Nachricht, wenn man den letzten Wächter erlegt hat (und dazu Grafikeffekt und Sound) - FERTIG.
Taiah

Post by Taiah »

Agreeing with @Nalzaxx on balancing the treasures, it would also be nice if the map didn't point to a non-diggable place in the middle of a mountain if can be scripted.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Not sure whether this is a 'collision with other features' or not, but sometimes you have monsters spawned in the water - which you are then expected to kill.

An 'exploit' used for clearing maps out is to fill the place up with fire, lock everyone in the box, then if anything survives being spawned on a bunch of magical flames, you undo a single wall, and hunt the monsters one at a time. This is why even a map which produced a dragon, a golem and a neco is still beaten by less than an army.
Estralis Seborian

No monsters on water - ALREADY DONE
No treasures under mountain - ALREADY DONE (SEE INITIAL POST)
Mage tricks - NONE OF MY BUSINESS ;-)

---

Keine Monster auf Wasser - BEREITS ERLEDIGT
Keine Schätze unter Gebirgen - BEREITS ERLEDIGT (SIEHE EINLEITENDES POST)
Magiertricks - NICHT MEIN PROBLEM ;-)
Llama

Post by Llama »

Suggestion:

Instead of the treasure only being found on one particular square - and therefore requiring some poor sod to shift click around the area like a total idiot - how about instead to widen the radius where the treasure can be found? Instead one square, say a 3x3 area.

Hell, you could just as easily detect when the map is used, and if they're within a certain area a "X" item is shown on the ground or something. Would be far more fun than digging 'furrows' in the ground to cover the radius.
Taiah

Post by Taiah »

Didn't see originally @Estralis, red interferring with my caffeine :D . @Hadrian, I like the way they are found now. a char with high precep doesn't need to fumble and can locate the exact tile.

(Deleted further suggestion.)
Last edited by Taiah on Tue May 18, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

To be honest I don't know why such high perception is needed to locate maps.
Running around for half an hour to find the exact spot doesn't add anything to the experience.
Taiah

Post by Taiah »

@Nalzaxx..one of my alt chars got on more then a handful of hunts due to the high precept. In a way it alleviates the "just friends" map hunts similar to "ask a mage and the strongest fighter", or "find a high skilled digger"
Olive

Post by Olive »

*removed*
Last edited by Olive on Tue May 18, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Work on these aspects is already in a mature state and I can't really use any input on them:

* Methods (e.g. fishing) and parameters how to obtain treasure maps
* Content of treasures
* Guardians of treasures
* Bugfixes (e.g. treasures beneath mountains)
@ Olive ;)

Mesha
Estralis Seborian

@Taiah, this is NOT about fishing. Please read the initial post again.

Replacing exact treasure locations with location array - NOT WORTH THE EFFORT
Reduce perception requirement - WILL CONSIDER, CHANGE UNLIKELY

---

Genaue Schatzfundorte durch ein Schatzfundortarray ersetzen - DIE MÜHE NICHT WERT
Anforderungen an Wahrnehmung absenken - WERD ICH MIR ANSEHEN, ÄNDERUNG UNWAHRSCHEINLICH
Llama

Post by Llama »

Estralis Seborian wrote:Replacing exact treasure locations with location array - NOT WORTH THE EFFORT
A 3x3 array simply means that it triggers when distance between user and location is less or equal to 1 square. Given that maps already cover an 'area' which tells you when you're 'close', I don't think it needs too much effort to make that check.

Basically its just a minor change to the if function. Changing it to an array IS too much work ;)
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Ich hab die erfahrung gemacht, das manche Spieler/Charaktere starke Probleme damit haben den Schatz zu lokalisieren. Oder es einfach gar nicht schaffen.

Dass man zuerst die vier eckpunkte finden muss, und dann die erde teil für teil umgräbt...
Zumindest ich mache das so. Und (aberglaube?) es funktioniert anscheinend nicht ohne die Eckpunkte lokalisiert zu haben. Vielleicht gibt es eine Möglichkeit das weniger fummelig zu gestalten.

(Könnte auch sein, das Chars mit sehr geringer wahrnehmung überhaupt keine schanze haben zu lokalisieren??)

Jedenfalls läuft das suchen immer nach diesem bestimmten ritual ab. Und wenn man es nicht so macht, findet man nie die richtige tile. Und irgendwie scheint sich der Ort des Schatzes von Char zu Char, zu Versuch zu Versuch zu ändern. (Wenn die map hin und her gereicht wird.) Das kommt mir irgendwie so vor. Und ist recht seltsam. *kopfkratz*
Immer sehr mystisch, dieses Suchen. (vielleicht ist das auch so gewollt.)

lg
rince
nathi

Post by nathi »

Hallo

mein Char findet die Schatzstellen meist punktgenau, höchstens 2x2 Felder Unschärfe. Zum Graben braucht sie meist einen starken Begleiter, findet es aber ganz toll das sie auch mal etwas besser kann :-)
Ich finde es daher gut das es an der Wahrnehmung gekoppelt ist, es gibt ohnehin zu viele Superchars die irgendwie alles können :->

lg nathi
martin

Post by martin »

I'd say: this is a feature where teamwork comes into play.
Dangron

Post by Dangron »

Perception requirement shouldn't be lowered. Can't find it yourself, hire a tracker!

The only complaint I had when treasure hunting, were bugged treasures, stuff you couldn't actually dig or find, but since that was fixed the system seems pretty good to me.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Avalyon had an idea i thought was interesting.

There could be certain treasure maps (dungeon maps?) that instead of spawning monsters, they open up a dungeon for players. The dungeon can range from small to big or from simple to complex and we could create a fair amount of dungeons to pool randomness. Adds a little more adventure to treasure hunting
Estralis Seborian

Instances - TOO MUCH WORK
Influence of perception - WILL CONSIDER, SEE ABOVE

---

Instanzen - ZU VIEL ARBEIT
Einfluss von Wahrnehmung - WERDE ICH MIR ANSCHAUEN, SIEHE OBEN
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Nachrichten der Engine während der Schatzjagd

Das ständige "Du gräbst hier und findest nichts" ist etwas stressig. Stattdessen vielleicht ein Symbol über dem Kopf das anzeigt "Nichts ergraben"

Fummeligkeiten in der Bedienung der Engine

"Der Schatz ist hier irgendwo in der Nähe" -> halbe stunde jedes Tile umbuddeln -> have fun with the treasure.
Stattdessen vielleicht "Der Schatz ist sehr nahe, anscheinend im Westen." oder je nach Wahrnehmung "Der Schatz ist hier irgendwo"
martin

Post by martin »

Rekarafi wrote:"Der Schatz ist hier irgendwo in der Nähe" -> halbe stunde jedes Tile umbuddeln -> have fun with the treasure.
Stattdessen vielleicht "Der Schatz ist sehr nahe, anscheinend im Westen." oder je nach Wahrnehmung "Der Schatz ist hier irgendwo"
Frag mal einen Charakter mit höherer Wahrnehmung, was er davon hält. ;)
Wenn du eine blinde Kuh spielst, aber trotzdem versuchst, die Karte zu lesen, kann das halt schon einmal vorkommen.

Martin
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Nur...Wahrnehmung 15 und trotzdem...man buddelt alles um...hat vllt 1 Tile vergessen und gerade das isses ohne dass mans merkt.
Eine kleine Richtungsweisung für hohe Wahrnehmungschars wäre nett.
Estralis Seborian

Influence of perception - WILL CONSIDER, SEE ABOVE AND ABOVE

---

Einfluss von Wahrnehmung - WERDE ICH MIR ANSCHAUEN, SIEHE OBEN UND SIEHE OBEN

Ich werd mir den Einfluss der Wahrnehmung ansehen. Aber ich möchte mich eigentlich gar nicht mit sowas aufhalten. Man buddelt halt eine ganze Menge Tiles auf der Suche nach dem Schatz um, manche mehr, manche weniger. Das Grundprinzip werde ich nicht ändern - denn da hat sich jemand was bei gedacht. Als kleiner Teaser, zukünftig wird es wohl deutlich klarer sein, unter welchen Tiles sich ein Schatz befinden könnte und unter welchen nicht. Das dürfte "Buddelerleichterung" genug sein.

Ich bin mehr auf der Suche nach kleinen Ungereimtheiten, die große Auswirkungen haben können, siehe Nalzaxxs Punkte. Die konnte ich innerhalb weniger Minuten umsetzen - der Zeitbedarf war etwas so hoch wie für das Schreiben dieses Posts.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Sind die Monster jetzt eigentlich dynamisch bzw. unterschiedlich? Also Variationenan Gegnern? Ich fand's immer doof, wenn jemand eine XY-Schatzkarte fand und dann sagte: "Kein Problem, da warten 3 Skelette, 1 Lich und 2 Waschweiber auf uns".

Intelligenz/Wahrnehmung zum Lesen der Karte ist okay, aber hohe etwaige Skills zum bloßen Ausbuddeln net.
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

Post by Shandariel el Lysanthrai »

@Miklorius
I would love seeing a Dragon spawning out of a farmers map ;)
Ich würde es gerne sehen wie ein Drache bei einem vergrabenen Schatz eines Bauerns spawned ;)

@Estralis

I would like to see treasure maps being combined with riddles. Currently you simply have to walk to the spot, dig, fight, and backstab others for the loot. How about adding some riddles? Like...you digg the treasure and get a message with the riddle seen or heard and you have to answer or guess it right for the treasure to appear. Means you will have to say the answer loud with the right sntax, like "The Answer is ...". This way others would be able to discuss without the danger of saying a wrong word. This could also be used instead of monsters in some treasures. Or you fight the usual guards, answer the riddle. If right the treasure appears...if not it is gone and even stronger Monsters apear, hehehe. Like...TWO Dragons, TWO Lichs and TWO Golems :twisted:
Estralis Seborian

Riddles for treasures - TOO MUCH WORK
Dynamic guardians - ALREADY DONE (SEE INITIAL POST)
Influence of perception - DONE (SLIGHT CHANGE)
Influence of mining skill - NO CHANGE

---

Rätsel für Schätze - ZU VIEL ARBEIT
Dynamische Wächter - BEREITS ERLEDIGT (SIEHE EINLEITUNGSPOST)
Einfluss der Wahrnehmung - ERLEDIGT
Einfluss des Mining-Skills - KEINE ÄNDERUNG
Last edited by Estralis Seborian on Fri May 21, 2010 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grim_banned

Post by Grim_banned »

Like Mike said above, I am working at an awesome dungeon that has it's entrance found via a treasure map of sorts.. I promise, it will be the best dungeon in Illa :P
Unfortunately, I ran in a bit of pressure in the real life, need to find a "stage de pratique" here in France and it's not as easy as I estimated initially, but eventually, it will be done :)

On the treasure map subject, yeah, it's still a good idea of finding them in a bottle floating down the river, but it shouldn't be only this.. par example, having them as rare drops at certain monsters (or all monsters, for that matter), drop while chopping a tree or mining, possible reward for some nice static quests, hell, maybe even accidentally summoned by a mage when doing certain magic. :)
As a side idea, it would be nice if the most valuable treasure maps (YR) have a better chance of being found as pieces than whole.
Estralis Seborian

Maps as snippets - NICE, BUT TOO MUCH WORK ATM
More ways to get maps - ALREADY DONE, SEE INITIAL POST

---

Karten als Schnipsel finden - NETT, ABER DERZEIT ZU VIEL ARBEIT
Andere Wege, Karten zu erhalten - BEREITS ERLEDIGT, SIEHE EINLEITENDES POSTING