Fluffy Sheep Basement

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Khandnalie

Fluffy Sheep Basement

Post by Khandnalie »

Okay, so to make a long story short - I heard that there was an NPC in the basement of the Fluffy Sheep who would buy the rather cumbersome amount of wooden plates that have been accumulating in my depot since I took up carpentry, and help me be rid of them...

Only problem is I cant get into the basement. The door to the room with the steps down is locked. Theres a gap in the wall out back that lets me get in..... but then I stand on the basement entrance and it does nothing. Please help?
Athian

Post by Athian »

seems like all the basement and sewer maps for Trollsbane (and possibly elsewhere, i have no checked) are currently missing in there entirety. You won't be able to use that trader until the maps are restored.
Khandnalie

Post by Khandnalie »

Well poopy....

Though I dont think it's elsewhere if thats the problem - I have no problems getting down below in Silverbrand.

Thanks anyways :D
Llama

Post by Llama »

If that is the case, put a bug report on mantis

(http://mantis.illarion.org)
Athian

Post by Athian »

Last I had heard this problem was already commented about (Mesha i believe posted that he would try and restore the maps) and thus i had assumed it was confirmed and being looked at. I only checked again recently in concern to this (tonight) and found that it was every map basement in TB.

But yes i shall make a report at a decent hour ^^ (very late here atm)
Flux

Post by Flux »

The academy statue and the well statue/rope activations don't work either. (Though you can get to those maps by teleporting).

I will try and find the tavern downstairs coords and see if it still exists on the server. Pretty sure I've seen it.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Flux wrote:The academy statue and the well statue/rope activations don't work either. (Though you can get to those maps by teleporting).

I will try and find the tavern downstairs coords and see if it still exists on the server. Pretty sure I've seen it.
The tavern is non-accessible. I am not sure what happened to the well, but the maps are not on the server at all. Confirmed by Vilarion, but I haven't been able to contact him. It is a rather tricky issue to fix, because we do not know what caused it.

Mesha
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

The Farmer's Union basement and most likely the Grovestrider HQ, since they are on the same piece of map, are inaccessible as well.
Flux

Post by Flux »

Mesha, go to the tavern and teleport to z=-6 and you're in the well, and any mage can teleport to the academy.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Flux wrote:Mesha, go to the tavern and teleport to z=-6 and you're in the well, and any mage can teleport to the academy.
Yes, but only the upper academy maps are broken, which is the cause for the teleporter not working. What is causing the well malfunction is a whole 'nother matter, for which I do not have an answer right now.

Mesha
zda

Post by zda »

Velisai wrote:The Farmer's Union basement and most likely the Grovestrider HQ, since they are on the same piece of map, are inaccessible as well.
the Grovestriders HQ is fine. the bottom of the jail is not assessable
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

Is it possible to move the depots and/or NPCs from the affected maps to the ground level until this problem is solved?
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Tell me what depot you mean, where it is and where it should be placed and I will see what I can do for you. Say "show position" ingame to determine exact coordinates and "look at" the depot to read its inscription.
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

For me personally it is the one in the basement of the Farmer's Union, which is important. I can't read out the coordinates though, because I can't get to it. The name should be (Farmers Union II) and I'd like it placed at (-175, 71, 0) right next to (Farmers Union).

Another depot named (Harbor II) has disappeared after the recent map reload and was at (-274, 33, 0) before. A few people I talked to had things in that one.
Estralis Seborian

OK, will do. Your ticket number is #527.

As a comment, I will never understand why one settlement needs serveral depots... I never had problems managing all my stuff in one depot. Perhaps somebody can enlighten me what the problem is?
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

First off, thanks a lot for the really quick response and taking care of this issue. It is really appreciated.

Now to the question. I can only speak for myself here, but the problem doesn't exist for most chars I think, but a few, especially some crafters and traders, may benefit from more than just one depot.

I didn't place this depot, for the reason of its existance you'll have to ask PO Jhon Sivan aka Darkform on the forum. After a while I was happy it was there though, since my char has 20 bags just to store the herbs she needs, other resources, a few bags for half and fully finished goods, lots of tools, weapons, armor, building materials and other things.

To manage all this junk, I have two choices: Use several depots or cram everything into one, using even more bags. I went with option 1, because bags, even though labeled, look all the same at the first glance and it quickly becomes a clickfest just to locate the one I'm looking for at the moment.

Now I understand, that this is due to the number of professions and interactions with others I've had over time, but if I didn't, there wouldn't be half the alchemists we have now and some of the tailored goods wouldn't be available in the game at all at the moment for example.
Crafting (in my case tailoring and alchemy) itself isn't rewarding, I don't need to do it for coins, but it did open up RP possibilities and made my char known, so I continued to do some of it. I'll spare you further details about how it came to this number of items since they are irrelevant here, but ultimately I feel two depots did help making crafting a bit less cumbersome and frustrating for me.

Moving this one depot saves me months of waiting for the right season, hours of boring and hand ache inducing herb sorting and the frustration of having to do it all over again, when I could use the time for RP. I'm also sure that about every other Union member has something stored in it, so thanks again.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

we don't trust bags.
we like to collect cool stuff.
...mainly.
Estralis Seborian

OK, I conclude:

1. Items without real value fill the depot, getting rid of them is not encouraged
2. Making herbs unstackable results in huge need for depot space
3. Using bags for organising a depot is clumsy

1. will change with the next update, 2. is on the list. But on 3., a good idea is always welcome. Labelling bags will become more convenient in future, but the general problem will remain. However, if 1. and 2. are no longer around, maybe 3. is not an issue anymore.
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

One viable idea might be bags with a colored part, like the fringes. Using red, blue, green, yellow and white would make them easy to distinguish and allow to sort stuff by categories, like tools, resources, products, etc. Together with labels, this should solve any storage problems, even with inventories thrice as large as my own.

I don't know if this is really necessary and like you said may become not an issue at all sooner or later, but it is surely one of easiest ways to make bags more user friendly, since all you need are a few versions of basically the same graphic.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Very clever idea that one. All we'll need is to pass a colour filter of sorts to do it.

Will make tailors more popular too :P