Where's the plot?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Milo Bottoms

Where's the plot?

Post by Milo Bottoms »

I know a character would not know all the details of what is going on but I seem to have lost the general direction the story is supposed to be going. Events have taken place that are not noted in the RP area and I am now confused. When Anarius was still alive there were factions moving in different directions and as confusing as it got I managed to follow pretty well and play my character accordingly. Then, after the murder things became difficult to follow. For example I did not read anything about Lord Ross dying! ( I could have missed it I know but I follow the RP posts to stay abreast of events.) I only heard it yesterday in casual conversation with another character.
Is it possible for someone to give a thumbnail sketch of events in the order that they occurred.(Yes, I know the difference between what I know and what my character could know!) I practice due diligence every day, meaning that I read the forum BEFORE I enter the game so as to be appraised of current events. ( I do not understand how one could play this game any other way.)
I assume there is a reason the Salk guards are still in Bane? I know GM's have lives to live but wasn't there a post after Anarius murder about the guards pulling out of town? And yes I know that Lennier is MIA or just plain too busy to come play with us.
Someone fill me in please on what happened between the Prince's murder and this business with demons behind every tree! Thanks.
Flux

Post by Flux »

I think we've seen a huge decline in information published to the town walls and discussions between characters on the walls.

Maybe people got tired of some lame people repeatedly removing a letter and the person repeatedly putting it back up etc.

I think that's quite a shame. It definitely leaves players out of the know.
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

have you checked down the back of the sofa?
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

@Milo

~Signed

It seems that a few people in the community think that the forums aren't used as often. Some think because of the rule restrictions. Such as that that deters one's character from posting in specific threads depending on location, or reality of wither or not their character could have written there. I remember when post after post on the same thread would occur every ten minutes, and all the while it was just characters bitching at each - but I loved it! And I am sure others did, and influenced some to log in and get involved. Or how such threads as the rumors thread (for mere example) restricted PO's from posting and getting involved that way. I understand the rules and they make sense, however imo more was posted back when the forum rules weren't so tight and PO's had more freedom. Maybe it deters people from posting from fear of having their post deleted, as Flux has stated. I am sure the job to keep things in order here isn't easy, and I don't have the answers. Maybe peeps be wantin a more relaxed forum. It might not be the rules that prevent people from posting, perhaps it's just a case of people choose not to post for another reason - low player base; they prefer to keep it in game (?).

@everyone It would be good though if more about ig occurrences were posted on the forums!

Why?..To entice 'the forum people' to log on and get involved ig with a new interesting storyline. No-one can play all the time, and I'm sure you know as well as I do that people like to see activity in the rpg forum because, as I found, it's a large part of how illarion has worked for so long. ENCOURAGE THE USE OF THE FORUMS.

Are people just losing interest?

Although I have noticed there is more activity during the 'public holidays'.
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

I know double post, but it's I digress..

@Milo - basically main story (I guess you could call it that) is as follows atm: Anarius is dead, some unelected bloke named Edric is in charge of TB in the prince's demise, and the whole island is in chaos because of demons that no one has really tried to stop (surprisingly), are runnin bleedin riot :wink:

Hope I cleared that up
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Kugar wrote:the whole island is in chaos because of demons that no one has really tried to stop (surprisingly), are runnin bleedin riot
Wrong....the dwarfes tried, they even killed one of them....he got insta-respawn. Thats why people dont try to stop them. IF you kill them, they'll get ressurected...
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

Kranek wrote:
Kugar wrote:the whole island is in chaos because of demons that no one has really tried to stop (surprisingly), are runnin bleedin riot
Wrong....the dwarfes tried, they even killed one of them....he got insta-respawn. Thats why people dont try to stop them. IF you kill them, they'll get ressurected...
Ahh I forgot about that. That's right, yeah.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Kugar wrote:
Kranek wrote:
Ahh I forgot about that. That's right, yeah.
And if someone tries something to avoid them, like getting consecrated, the GMs told them that its not necessary, since the chars could easily avoid the quest...

I dont know the background of the quest and the story and such...but the way its presented right now is kinda...lame...
Llama

Post by Llama »

And apparently there are good liches and good drow who want to help gobaith beat the demons.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:And apparently there are good liches and good drow who want to help gobaith beat the demons.
Which would be kinda...weird...
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Kranek wrote:
A gm dwarf who accidentally equipped blades of instant pwnage killed one by accident and than rezzed him quickly after, yes.

After which some tarded dwarfking just runs over and ctrl clicks while getting repeatedly tossed away in an attempt to start some rp again.
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

The main reason you haven't heard about Lord Ross dieing is that Lord Ross isn't dead, He's currently in Salkamar, living as the Duke that he is. Nothing was posted on the boards about it, in fact, only a few people know exactly where he is. He's planning to return eventually.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Kranek wrote:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:And apparently there are good liches and good drow who want to help gobaith beat the demons.
I wasn't joking.

What, you thought I just made that up? You can ask Shen
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Kranek wrote:
I wasn't joking.

...i BEG YOU!!!! Tell me you are JOKING!!!
Flux

Post by Flux »

Kranek wrote:
PKing is the ultimate problem solver. Maybe you should try res killing!!11!
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Haha... I really do love the hasty judgements people are making about this quest. :P

Note: The GMs are not stupid. They know what the game is, they know how things work... Trust them to make a decent quest. Don't bash it before it gets good. :(

Edit:: On topic... Salk prince was killed, town was given to Edric, things were going fine. Demons showed up, and... they're still there.

As far as I know, the guards were meant to be removed. *shrugs* Maybe they're not Salkamaerian anymore.
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

Post by Shandariel el Lysanthrai »

Kranek wrote:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Kranek wrote: Which would be kinda...weird...
I wasn't joking.

...i BEG YOU!!!! Tell me you are JOKING!!!
Not exactly...well...the lich and drow thing is true...not the "good" part ;). But that is NO common knowledge! Just very few characters know ingame about it, and no character which wont be directly informed by the chars involved will know about this at all. So that isn't really necessary to be mentioned here. I am pretty sure he asked for the common lore stuff, not the insider, secret stuff ;)
Llama

Post by Llama »

And there I go confusing Shen with Shan again -_-
As far as I know, the guards were meant to be removed. *shrugs* Maybe they're not Salkamaerian anymore.
Maybe they're town militia now. And maybe someone should give them some proper conversation scripts using the Simple NPC language so that we'll have more IG content </idea>
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

Alli Zelos wrote:Note: The GMs are not stupid. They know what the game is, they know how things work... Trust them to make a decent quest. Don't bash it before it gets good. :(
Anyone notice quests have a habit of dieing out before they actualy get good?

As for the forums not being used as much...I think that all leads back to when the proposal boards were limited to certain people. I know quite a few people who logged into the forums constantly to check up on new ideas/argue their opinion about them. Since there are not that many new/creative ideas, maybe some people just don't care so much about the forums anymore?
Flux

Post by Flux »

It's not "dying out" as such, pretty much what happened is the lateness of my maps being implemented deterred us for a full week during a holiday, and now it's still ongoing, but only chars who actually TRIED to do anything about it past "Let's try and pk them" are involved.
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

Alli Zelos wrote:*shrugs* Maybe they're not Salkamaerian anymore.
That's how I have been treating them. They were supposed to be removed, but weren't, so now they are just normal Troll's Bane guards.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

My char kicked the nuts of this big red one.

Build him a monument!

No joke.

Deamons spice the things up, in a way I like. It's kind of corious.. such a huge ammount of chars are speacial something. But this is the moment my chars waited for! To proove themself! And became hero! (or a bunch of ash)

8)
Taiah

Post by Taiah »

If any help at all what is known by the Knights is placed on the guild board. http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... sc&start=0 I agree however there is a lack of coherency in the quest. If people want you to find out things in game, at least an introduction RP thread would have helped.
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

Flux wrote:It's not "dying out" as such, pretty much what happened is the lateness of my maps being implemented deterred us for a full week during a holiday, and now it's still ongoing, but only chars who actually TRIED to do anything about it past "Let's try and pk them" are involved.
I didn't mean the current quest...at least not yet, I'm just pointing out that there are plenty of quests that end up....Nonexsistant
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Aldan Vian wrote:
Flux wrote:It's not "dying out" as such, pretty much what happened is the lateness of my maps being implemented deterred us for a full week during a holiday, and now it's still ongoing, but only chars who actually TRIED to do anything about it past "Let's try and pk them" are involved.
I didn't mean the current quest...at least not yet, I'm just pointing out that there are plenty of quests that end up....Nonexsistant
^this
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Dear community

In relation to the demon quest, you really need to try and find something to enjoy in it. Lately after reading complaint after complaint I start to wonder if it is possible that you would enjoy any type of quest that the GM's produce. Well the answer to that would be no; if you were to put in the same effort for every other quest as you are this one. I have seen only a low number of characters actually try to do anything more than stand around and make innapropriate comments (which was disheartening :cry: ), and those are the players that will enjoy themselves and get the quest moving forward towards the action. The rest of you seem to want something for nothing, which you have to admit, was never the way to go in the past, so why should it be now? This causes you to miss some key roleplay opportunity and thus the complaints arise with missunderstanding.

At least, that's my opinion.

-Matt
Last edited by Retlak on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taiah

Post by Taiah »

@Matt, admittedly I am not in game that much but to only hear speculation as to why the demons are here, why the tower is built...as a char in game said yesterday "not someone else asking!" The original post simply wanted to know
Someone fill me in please on what happened between the Prince's murder and this business with demons behind every tree! Thanks.
.. and even oocly on msn I have to answer "idk" (( something about a nocturne (sp) whatever that is going bad? )) :wink:

This is NOT to say the quest is unappreciated, in fact I really like the length of time involved allowing ALL chars an opportunity to be involved.. or even "clueless" :lol: A small introduction to those that missed the beginning might be helpful though if plans include chars to find out toward the end then this oocly thread is a mote point.
orgis

Post by orgis »

Sings quietly to himself

Always loook on the bright side of life!! Alwaays loook on the bri...

Walks of whistling
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Perhaps some form of RP thread that tells the quest in the form of a story as it happens, might be good to update everyone on what they are missing and let everyone know the progress.

Thank you for your input.

-Matt
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Anyone notice quests have a habit of dying out before they actually get good?
GMs get demotivated by bad rep pretty quickly (which is, I guess, the main reason for quests not continuing or getting little to no attention from the GMs in question). I'd also like to urge people to take their initial (bad) impressions, or their enlightening criticism to the actual GM in question, instead of taking it to flame wars on the forum. And I am not referring to Milo here (since he is genuinely confused about the recent activity ingame ;) ).

The bold part of this post is a sure-fire way of:
A) Better atmosphere for both GMs and players
B) Good-natured GMs who give their quests the attention they (And the players) deserve
C) Happy players ( Oh my god, he listened to my criticism instead of fighting on my (flame)thread!)

I am, however, glad that so many people seem to realise this in this thread. I just thought I'd make a general comment about it! Matt's post is useful for people to read.
That said:
Edit:: On topic... Salk prince was killed, town was given to Edric, things were going fine. Demons showed up, and... they're still there.
is the story in a nutshell. I hear they need creative people to fix a demon problem!

Mesha
P.S. Want to give criticism (or, for that matter, want to give compliments) about a quest or action ingame by a GM, but don't know who was it? Send it to me and I can forward it to whomever needs it!