Wooden Boxes

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Wooden Boxes

Post by Llama »

Suggestion which i hope will take all of 15 seconds to implement.

Basically, copying the majority of the bag script, and using a 'box' graphic - we produce a container which has unlimited volume - and its purpose is to sort out items in the depot, instead of using bags as is currently the case.

In order to stop people from using THEM as bags, we can either produce some interesting bit of code which checks whether its in the depot bla bla bla - or much simpler - make them so heavy that you'd need to be an idiot to try to carry them around with items in them.

They should be NON-PRODUCIBLE - and will therefore serve as a brilliant moneysink.

Discuss.
Kevin Lightdot

Re: Wooden Boxes

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Hadrian_Abela wrote: In order to stop people from using THEM as bags, we can either produce some interesting bit of code which checks whether its in the depot bla bla bla - or much simpler - make them so heavy that you'd need to be an idiot to try to carry them around with items in them.
Discuss.
Weak people need to be able to carry them too if you want them to be used by everyone-> 5 strength mage guise can carry it => 15 strength guy says lol np I carry dis sht
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

if box=empty : weight=0
if box=filled : weight = 10000
Llama

Post by Llama »

I'm trying to think of a 'quick n easy' fix such that everyone can use it without any problems - because if we need to put in checks whether its depot or not - that translates to - 'no chance of getting IG'

Simplest method is to put the NPCs sell them near the main depots, so you get it in your inventory, and can transfer it. You don't need to move after.
maryday

Post by maryday »

Need to move after.

Possible to carry them in hand-slot only?
->maybe even blocking the second hand-slot...
So one could still use them for real tidying-up porposes or mule transfers.

IMO i ask myself why restricting to make them carryable?
If some 19str guy is fine with a chest on the back, containing x two handed swords and y plate armours... this should be clearly not of my personal interest.
Somehow i see no sensible reson for such a restriction.

All in all a very beautiful and useable idea.
((Remembers me of U8-Pagan, where a chest had 50 units of weight, and max. weight capacity was 75 with 25/25str....

EDIT; with a max. starting encumbrance of 30.))
Last edited by maryday on Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

We always used to have wooden chests that worked for exactly this purpose. When you put them on the floor they blocked that square. Which caused much hilarity with trapping ghosts and/or putting 500 down in order to warp across the map.

Although as far as I'm aware this was the reason they were removed, rather than the ability to use them like bags. Just make them too heavy to be practical if you want to discourage people carrying them around.

Afterall, if I wanted to carry unlimited things I can just stack bags within bags, and that's already enabled.
Llama

Post by Llama »

I'm amazed maryday is considered part of the community :P

Can I have a dev say "Yes" or "No" please?
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Rejected.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I'm not a dev, but I seriously doubt your 15 seconds estimation when all this yigga wigga becomes necessary.

Basically, you want to have a 2nd bag, with more volume capacity and a higher weight? Sounds rather clumsy for me, like a dirty fix for a non existent problem...
maryday

We might need five (5) different bags, chests and/or crates.

Post by maryday »

((A "friend of mine" wanted me to make the following writing accessible to the public.))
Dear Estralis,
I have never REALLY lead a guild, and am not even wanting to ever do so, for a simple reason.
Managing a communal stash or hoarding is a pain in the ass!

After an update in wich the space-restriction of the bags was introduced,
and later several updates of making some stuff less stackable,
i developped a graving phobia of accessing my depot/-s at all,
because i can never know, what avalanche of hours and hours of bagdragging and muleshifting
i am about to release
again.

Placing half a dozen of depots beside each other is no solution!

I know this is all the fault of people like me, who so passionately po..

*Something is crossed out.*
..so why not make the lifes of at least our representants, guildleaders and headmasters
a tad easier by making an easy manageable and accessible inventory system possible.

I can understand limiting the shown bag/depot space to three and two lines,
because it makes counting our possesions easie..

*The end of the writing is missing.*
*Giggles, shrugging shoulders and walks on, hands in the pockets, kicking a stone.*
Llama

Post by Llama »

Estralis Seborian wrote:Basically, you want to have a 2nd bag, with more volume capacity and a higher weight? Sounds rather clumsy for me, like a dirty fix for a non existent problem...
The problem is that due to the volume thingy, any crafter needs to have a bunch of bags for items, since you can't put more than 150 ingots in one, no more than 5-7 suits of armour in one et cetera.

It'll make depots nicer, and more clear.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

I approve this idea.
Estralis Seborian

What speaks against making the current wood boxed (item #8 ) produceable/obatainable, moveable, passable, set them to a high weight and volume (beyond storage capacity of a bag AND boxes) and let them store a high amount of volume (but less than its own volume)? Why do we need a new item? Why not use what we already have? This takes like ten minutes to implement, other things I read take ten months... Just do it :-P! It is all about some database entries!

But actually, is it really desireable to expand the depot space that much? Do we really need to store hundreds of different items in large stacks within sub-boxes? I see the point of raw materials being hard to store within bags, but what speaks against placing them into the depot itself?

What is the reason why you want to store so many items? Are these reasons any inconvenience we can fight instead? Don't get me wrong, I'm not against this proposal, but the "problem" described is not a problem itself, but rather seems to be a consequence of another inbalance.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

Another thing related to the depots:
Could it be possible to open the Depot in both itemfields? To make it easier to trade thigns between bags inside the depot?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Estralis Seborian wrote:But actually, is it really desireable to expand the depot space that much? Do we really need to store hundreds of different items in large stacks within sub-boxes? I see the point of raw materials being hard to store within bags, but what speaks against placing them into the depot itself?
I will give you a personal example - my character. Items which don't stack which he keeps - he's a smith by the way:

gems x5 (yes they stack, but that's 5 spaces)
uncut gems x5 (st)
bag of hammers (they break so quickly at higher levels)
bag of hammer handles
bag of axe handles
bag of sword handles
bag of large sword handles (higher level)
bag of food (meals don't stack)
bag of mace handles
bag of morning star handles
bag of sickle handles
bag of large handles
Now, if I don't want to throw away my practice items, I need a
bunch of bags full of armours
If I want to 'pre make' certain items I need
bunch of bags full of whatever I want to make
bag full of items used to get light (torches don't stack)

Let me put it this way, I find things faster if they're in bags, and I'm not throwing 20 handles of each kind in the depot (or I won't have any space). Then when you add the 'non-necessary' bags (like someone's orders being sorted) or private bags (like my own personal suit of armour), that still adds up to a ton of bags. I'd like that I can keep all my armours in a single container, instead of needing to put 3/4 in each one.
Estralis Seborian

Hmm, may I conclude that too few items are stackable then? And tools break too fast? Maybe we can work on this?

Again, I'm not against your proposal, do it! Ask for the database entries and change them. But: This will not solve the true problems!
Llama

Post by Llama »

Estralis Seborian wrote:Hmm, may I conclude that too few items are stackable then? And tools break too fast? Maybe we can work on this?
Its not really their fault. The only things on that list which don't need quality (and SHOULD stack) are cooked meals and torches.

What is the true problem?