Starting out

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Moirear Sian

Starting out

Post by Moirear Sian »

Hi, I haven't played in ages and seeing this game has gone through a lot of changes, I have some questions as to how to play.
  • If I think up a rough character concept, how well can I represent it in a new character build? Are there some starting skills you can pick from in order to have some beginning specialization, or does a new character start out completely poor in every possible skill (like in older versions)?
  • What about things like equipment? In the older versions this was very limited, in less so old ones you'd get a "starting package" set of items depending on what you chose but those consisted normally of stuff that broke down very quickly and was very poor. If there are sets like that, which ones are up for selection?
  • Were there any big changes in the game controls? How do I turn a character around? Attack? Anything I should know besides the classic "#me does stuff"? Any new/useful #-commands you'd recommend me to learn right here and now?
  • What races are "underpopulated", so to speak? If I look at the online list, the majority is usually human, but this may be skewed by the times I looked at the list. Are there new playable races to select from off the start?
  • If I get started again, how important is it to have to use the forums? Back in the day I played it used to be very important. Personally I'd prefer if I didn't have to use the forums too much, but I'd like to know.
Thanks in advance.
Llama

Post by Llama »

1. Welcome back :)

2. The 'character build' just gives a minor increase, its not particularly useful - but you also get starting equipment, so its mostly for that. The starting equipment is actually good enough to get you going for a while

3. There's n00bia now, an island for newbies to help you get your bearings back. Aside from the graphical overhaul, there's not much new commands. Maybe a useful one is !bag [name] (then use bag) which adds a label to a bag. You can also right click for certain options (but you can do it all with keyboard anyway)

4. There are 3 'special' races - gnomes, goblins and fairies - to make them you need to write a story about them (to 'prove' you're good at roleplaying them) - those are the most underpopulated. Otherwise, its the usual.

5. Forums are still useful. The rules have been re-written recently for guilds for example.

Welcome back again :)
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

4. There are 3 'special' races - gnomes, goblins and fairies - to make them you need to write a story about them (to 'prove' you're good at roleplaying them) - those are the most underpopulated. Otherwise, its the usual.
We no longer grant people the right to play gnomes, goblins and fairies because they will not be represented in the paperdolling update. Sorry. :)
Llama

Post by Llama »

Uh what?

So what will happen to them?
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Before the update we will have to replace these characters. So, replace them to another, supported race.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Mesha wrote:Before the update we will have to replace these characters. So, replace them to another, supported race.
I predict a riot
Last edited by Llama on Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alsaya

Post by Alsaya »

Well there are exactly to choices:

1. Have paperdolling but no more fairies, gnomes and goblins.

or

2. No paperdolling at all.

But back to topic

Welcome Back Moirear I hope you will find out that Illarion did not only come a long way but also has improved. :wink:
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

The gnomes and goblins -mosters will still be there? And will they alo available for NPC's ?

Welcome Back. Altough I don't know you, I guess. ;)
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

Mesha wrote:Before the update we will have to replace these characters. So, replace them to another, supported race.
Oh no! Than my fairy will be no fairy anymore! *cry*
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Thanks for the warm welcome (back) everyone.
Hadrian_Abela wrote:2. The 'character build' just gives a minor increase, its not particularly useful - but you also get starting equipment, so its mostly for that. The starting equipment is actually good enough to get you going for a while
What "sets" are up for picking? Inquiring minds would like to know. =)
Or rather, I'm wondering what kind of character concepts I could feasibly ride with.

For instance, is making a hunter type of character possible? In old versions getting a bow and arrows was one crazy ordeal, and aside from sheep and monsters there wasn't really anything to hunt aside from making it all up.

Or, a peasant type? Starting out with that was strangely difficult because of the lack of skills, resources and tools to begin with.

Basically, is it easier to start out with certain concepts (aside from "mage"*) than it used to be? Or am I better off with the concept of someone who's young and doesn't know what to do and just let it develop from there in game?

* I'm guessing this wouldn't have changed unless the whole magic theme was changed to the point where people can start out as mages and don't need to get mentored in game.
Llama

Post by Llama »

The sets are there in the character-creation screen. Don't know them by heart, but you will soon enough.

Getting a bow is now pretty easy - and arrows. Thread can be obtained from entrials, and PIGS drop them too - so no mummy-hunting :P

If you want to 'hunt' there are wolves, deer, sheep... cougars...
-
Peasantry is possible - two words of advice is 1.) Not all crops can be grown everywhere 2.) Not all crops can be grown all the time. You start trying to grow crops in winter, you've got problems ;)
-
Its now pretty easy to start off, you start with enough money and the tools you need.

Now magic - Magic is implemented - and VERY IMPOSSIBLE to learn, so don't try. You need to find a player who'll teach you - just say no. Druidism is in again, its expensive to learn.

Oh and we also have a wiki (link's on the main page). It'll help a lot :)
Added: http://illarion.org/community/wiki/index.php/Main_Page there you are

Ps- Lizards are awesome *wink wink*
Llama

Post by Llama »

Oh and since you're an old player.

Now when you want to do a task, you shift click it once, and it does it on its own to a point.

So no jackhammer mining anymore (Hooray!)
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Welcome back! Since an older player it may help you to just get ig with a temp char to see how the controls are and do a little RP i.e. just basic concept, then can make a decision later.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Yeah, I just checked things out. Looking good so far, great job re-organizing things and making character creation so easy, to whom it concerns. :D

Thanks again for the info Hadrian, those changes sound very promising.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Quick tip: Few people #i anymore (surprised me! lots!)

We now have the new "right click" "Give name" feature

You can name someone anything, without having to do the whole !name thing
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

hint: if want to play some barbaric char, try Nordmark ;) PM me for informations if interested ;)
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

You know how you can write descriptions for characters on the website when managing your characters on your account?
Is it possible to relay the character's written description in game or is that only for viewing via the website?
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

you have to use the F1-F5 keys for a char description IG
Ashayen

Post by Ashayen »

The characters decription is just for the website, you can save a small description though. Writing it IG in an emote #me and save it then by pressing Ctrl+F2-F6. When you want to use it then ig you just need to press the button where you saved it before, F2-F6.
Last edited by Ashayen on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Ashayen wrote:Writing it IG in an emote #me and save it then by pressing Strg+F1-F6.
ctrl+F2-F6 for the rest of us ;)

The game assumes you put your description in F2, so you can right click on yourself and choose "Describe yourself"

Oh yeah, you can look at other people too - but that's just their items et cetera, your description has nothing to do with it.
Last edited by Llama on Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashayen

Post by Ashayen »

I knew something was wrong with the sentence :oops: :P
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Ashayen wrote:Writing it IG in an emote #me and save it then by pressing Strg+F1-F6.
ctrl+F1-F6 for the rest of us ;)

The game assumes you put your description in F1, so you can right click on yourself and choose "Describe yourself"

Oh yeah, you can look at other people too - but that's just their items et cetera, your description has nothing to do with it.
Uh.. I've not played in a while but unless something's changed I'm pretty sure F1 is the manual and F2 is your description button, F3-F6 and the ctrl variations (plus the F2 ctrl variation) are macros then F7 is clock, F8 is skillz, F9 is map etc.?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Whoops.

Yeah Alex is right.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

ADRIAN LIES.

IT IS VERY POSSIBLE TO LEARN MAGIC.

REALLY.

ME AND PELLANDRIA, AND .. PELLANDRIA. ARE ACTIVE TEACHERS.

SOMETIMES.

No but seriously, there's a reform of the Magic Academy going on right now, so things will start working out again pretty soon. C:
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Thanks for all the help!

I must also note it's a lot easier to get into the game again (compared to older iterations of Illarion), with the manuals, Noobia and the packages and all that.

Good stuff.
Llama

Post by Llama »

So what race and profession did you go for in the end ;) ?
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Shush you, that's a secret. :lol:
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

It doesn't involve anything halberd/polearm-like this time I hope? :wink:
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Would something be wrong with a spear? :o
Ashayen

Post by Ashayen »

Hm, not really sure, but i guess not since Illa has throwing spears :?