Doves

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

squee

Doves

Post by squee »

I think there should be an automated message IG (ex. A dove lands on your shoulder, carrying a letter attached to it's foot) when someone receives a 'dove' on the forum, and random with different automated messages each time.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

1. to much work and less benefit
2. why? Just check the forum from time to time
zda

Post by zda »

yes all you have to do is check the forum before you log on that is what i do
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Actually, it would be really nice to alert a char IG that "he's got mail". You know, sometimes you'd like things to happen promptly and you see the char IG, but can't find him (we all know how hard that can be) and the player just won't check the PM box.

So instead of having a system that is linked on the forums (where it would be impossible to distinguish between ooc and IG messages anyway), we would have an IG "pager". This would simply be a message sent to the character instantly (if he's on) or the next time he logs in, announcing that he has received a dove. You'd have to do this IG, and it would be completely disconnected from the forum itself (so it would be possible to send a dove IG without sending one on the forums). This would cost a little money to do of course, but otherwise I really don't think this is technically complicated at all (aside from the "the next time he logs in", because this might require some storage for the messages.. but anyway, that's more for Nitram and the other code monkeys to figure out ;) ).

So, basically:
1.) It would be a simple char-to-char "pager" ("dover" ;)).
2.) The sender would not be announced (if the sender wants to be known, then that should be in the actual letter)
3.) It would cost some money
4a.) You would have to know the name of the character in order to send the message. 4b.) Maybe you could also send to nicknamed characters as long as they exist on your name files, but this would require the system to refer to your name files. This might be complicated or not possible at all, Nitram probably knows. ;)
5.) There should be a cooldown for this, to prevent people from irritating others with mass-spamming of doves.
6.) Profile option to turn this off for a particular character. Default would be on.

Of course, there will be players who do not want to have such a thing available for their characters, so perhaps this becomes simply one setting on the char profile options?
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

proposed to the nth degree. most recently, still on the first page is this one. http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=32055

this is almost identical. please examine this one before posting further. or, just post on that one.
squee

Post by squee »

o sorry i didnt know there was a topic similar to this one
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

within the past years there is probably a dozen by now, or more.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:within the past years there is probably a dozen by now, or more.
I remember a suggestion which would allow 'hawks' to kill doves.

I like an IG pager idea - but I'm pretty sure it'll take a bit of work to do.

*think* Well.. not that much work I think.
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

IG Pager? Please...no!
Guys its a RP-Game! No medieval-chat with some engine around it!
I dont want to get ANY meassage like "A dove gets to you" when i am in Green Briar....cause NO dove could find me there. A dove can only find its way home. Which would mean: my doves arrive at Nordmark, nowhere else.
Alber G

Post by Alber G »

I agree with Cromz0r here actually, but Kranek has a point.. Would it be possible to order a dove to fly "Home" with the message instead (That the dove finds you whenever you eneter the town/settlement that is your char's home..) ? Unless you see it in the forums first, because then you shouldn't get a message about no PM that you already read...
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

I am afraid that would be really difficult to script, f.e. if you have a char who has no specific home, where is he going to receive his dove? Even if every one is forced to chose a town (and rp wise I don't like the idea of POs being forced to chose their chars a hometown, what if they are banned or want it changed?), I think this is a mass of information on the server...Also it is really simple to check your mail from time to time, I do it whilst I am ig, in case I rp f.e. Rhianna who actually gets mail every now and then.
Alber G

Post by Alber G »

Rhianna Morgan wrote:I am afraid that would be really difficult to script, f.e. if you have a char who has no specific home, where is he going to receive his dove? Even if every one is forced to chose a town (and rp wise I don't like the idea of POs being forced to chose their chars a hometown, what if they are banned or want it changed?), I think this is a mass of information on the server...Also it is really simple to check your mail from time to time, I do it whilst I am ig, in case I rp f.e. Rhianna who actually gets mail every now and then.
Actually I do not think it would be that hard to script. Just make a simple option list of the area ( ...( ) Trollsbane, ( ) Tol Vanima, ( X ) Greenbriar, etc ..... just to show what I mean ). I, or anyone for that matter, can script this easily in C#.. And yes, among the options you can chose not to get any "message" IG... It would not take that much amount of storage for the info needed... At perfection of the script at most 2 lines/char I'd guess.

Just some thoughts, please do not get all aggressive if I am wrong. Simply correct me. =)
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Kranek wrote:IG Pager? Please...no!
Guys its a RP-Game! No medieval-chat with some engine around it!
I dont want to get ANY meassage like "A dove gets to you" when i am in Green Briar....cause NO dove could find me there. A dove can only find its way home. Which would mean: my doves arrive at Nordmark, nowhere else.
I wrote:6.) Profile option to turn this off for a particular character. Default would be on.

Of course, there will be players who do not want to have such a thing available for their characters, so perhaps this becomes simply one setting on the char profile options?
You don't want it? Don't use it.

I'd like to stress that while the game is not medieval-chat with an engine around it, it's more so that (or very least should be) than RP with your MSN-RL buddies in your own little secluded world with an engine around it. The game is supposed to revolve around interaction between player characters, and anything which potentially enhances RP between players who do not already know eachother (eg. so no possibility for: "sup peep chek ur pms yo") should not be dismissed with such flimsy grounds. Lets call it a magic, heat-seeking homing missile dove to explain how that works if you really want to go down to that level. However if you're bringing realism into this, then explain with that steel-hard realism rationale how many player-chars who don't have set homes like your char are nonetheless able to send doves to eachother even at the present moment?

Yeppers. Just don't use it if you don't want such messages. Everyone is happy.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

I want the first message through an ingame pager to be, "sup peep chek ur msn yo".
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

I proposed it :) and got flamed to the floor :(
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Yeah, but you wrote "SORRY MY IDEA IS UNDERPANTS", and Cromwell wrote a nice proposal about how it could work ;)
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I don't care, thinking most can check the forum when not busy RPing, if busy I can see me getting some message, because am busy ignoring it, then maybe later forgetting entirely about it.

I am not sure the benefits of the system in game i.e. directly contacting a char to find out where they are possibly to RP vs msn or simply checking forum PM....outweigh the scripting needed.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Only reason I'm for it is that it's a pain to send messages to charcters whose PO's a) Don't check the forums often if at all, or b) Have a forum name you don't know.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

nmaguire wrote:Only reason I'm for it is that it's a pain to send messages to charcters whose PO's a) Don't check the forums often if at all, or b) Have a forum name you don't know.
... or c. have a secret char and won't tell anyone their msn because the char would no longer be secret. Hmmm that's a thought :wink:
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Sucks if they use a fake name.
Ragorn

Post by Ragorn »

AlexRose wrote:Sucks if they use a fake name.
No. A nick named character can easily be identified by the "system".
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Ragorn wrote:
AlexRose wrote:Sucks if they use a fake name.
No. A nick named character can easily be identified by the "system".
The system has tabs on us all man!

They're in my teeth!