eating raw fish

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

zda

eating raw fish

Post by zda »

my chars are human and one lives were there is no way to cook fish. what you should be able to do is eat fish raw. but eating raw fish will not not fill you up as they do cooked. what do you think?
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

Eating fish raw was possible in the engine prior to the introduction of roasted fish. Now it's a race benefit. I don't think there's any going back, but good luck with the idea. :)
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Lizards can, and it makes sense. But I'm fairly sure a human eating raw fish is just not good for you.

But... I AM all for the idea of cooking fish on a camp fire. (cooking normal fish... not fish plates :P)
zda

Post by zda »

like she said i think that humans and other crechers should be able to roast fish on a camp fire
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

To my knowledge, raw fish is very good for you. Sushi is an example...of plenty more I would guess.
Llama

Post by Llama »

You realise you CAN make cooked fish using an oven right? It doesnt' take any skill either.

But if you want to eat RAW fish - play a lizzy ;)

All the cool people do
zda

Post by zda »

yes i could play a lizzerd but i have 2 chars already and it would be nice to be able to cook fish over a camp fire. you might be exploring and run it to a monster and you kill it and you have to eat all your food up to get you stamana back up and you are not near to a town of an oven to roast fish but you have a fishing pole and a hatcht. you cold build a fire and roats fish or eat them raw.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

zda wrote:yes i could play a lizzerd but i have 2 chars already and it would be nice to be able to cook fish over a camp fire. you might be exploring and run it to a monster and you kill it and you have to eat all your food up to get you stamana back up and you are not near to a town of an oven to roast fish but you have a fishing pole and a hatcht. you cold build a fire and roats fish or eat them raw.
Is this a "type something funny with your elbow" thread?

:D
Damien

Post by Damien »

Most likely one of overtyping the speed of either your fingers or your keyboard ! :wink:
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Or the thread-of-broken-punctuation-key
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

sorry guys, i feel the need to do this.

eat raw fish?

rejected: it's a lizard race benefit to being able to do so. plus humans eating raw freshwater fish (which is what we catch) is full of bacteria and parasites that can kill you. you can only eat raw salt water fish if properly prepared (ie very skilled)

cook fish over campfire?

rejected: you can make smoked fish in an oven, i (personally) see no need or reason this should be changed.

i thought this thread was done after the first responce but apparently not. lock now please?
zda

Post by zda »

well you should be able to roast fish over a camp fire then i mean if you are not nere a cooking oven and you need food what ar eyo u going to do?

and if there are no friut trees?
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:sorry guys, i feel the need to do this.

eat raw fish?

rejected: it's a lizard race benefit to being able to do so. plus humans eating raw freshwater fish (which is what we catch) is full of bacteria and parasites that can kill you. you can only eat raw salt water fish if properly prepared (ie very skilled)

cook fish over campfire?

rejected: you can make smoked fish in an oven, i (personally) see no need or reason this should be changed.

i thought this thread was done after the first responce but apparently not. lock now please?
What he means is, normally, you SHOULD be able to cook fish over a fire. You can do it IRL ( :P ) I've been near rivers with my uncles and they've roasted fish over a fire and we've ate it, perfectly fine (Except one time, I think.. but I was little and we ate the fish in a restaurant o.O) Why shouldn't we be able to do it IG? Doesn't seem too hard. Actually, I think it makes more sense roasting fish over a fire and making fish dishes in a smoke oven than vice-versa, but that's just me.
Tanistian_Kanea

smoked fish, which is what we have, takes several hours inside a smoking oven at low temperatures. a campfire would be more like roasyed not smoked. additionally is the amount of salt typically used especially in the time frame that is illarion differs in the two methods. smoked fish will keep for a very long time roasted fish will not.

simply making it easier for everyone else to eat fish makes the benefit the lizards have of being able to eat raw fish much less important or substantial.
Christopher..Rigden

Post by Christopher..Rigden »

People have survived months out at sea just eating raw fish caught straight from the water... Ray Mears told me! He can't be wrong.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Bear Grylls agrees.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

I have a feeling that couldn't be too good for you in the long run.. ;)

@Tanistian: Roasting fish is a lot more practical, seeing as most people don't have the patience to find a smoking oven and sit there for hours. Most people would simply catch the fish, cook it, and eat it. It would seem a bit more realistic to be using a camp fire than an oven, especially in this time period. The only time people really smoked things would be near winter, or when they need food to stay good for longer.

Also, I see nothing wrong with making the lizard benefit less important... No other races get added benefits, so why should they? ;)

I thought this thread would die, too... But seeing as it hasn't,

Proposal: Cooking fish on a camp fire... Hard to script, yes or no?
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Actually, each race -does- get benefits. Those benefits just aren't as noticible to the naked eyed.

Last I heard, orcs can eat raw pork, and would get bonuses for it.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Vern Kron wrote:orcs can eat raw pork, and get a malus for it.
fixed.
Llama

Post by Llama »

pharse wrote:
fixed.
???? Does this make sense?
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

the "malus" means its free food and thus "bad"...I guess.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
pharse wrote:
fixed.
???? Does this make sense?
???? Yes?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Yeah but I thought with pharse's system - it was only 'bad' for you if its not in your diet.

Lizards can eat raw fish as a 'normal' food.
Elves can eat fruit as 'normal' (if i remember well)
So it would logically follow that orcs get it as well.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

What is human advantage?
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I think you misunderstand something there lama boy, the advantage is that they ~can~ eat it, unlike other races, noone except lizards can eat raw fish and noone except orcs can eat raw ham..thats their advantage.
Saigwin

Post by Saigwin »

Tanistian, you are quite wrong. Smoking ovens is a very modern concept. Smoking and other methods of curing fish and other meats was originally done over open fires or rather along side open fires. It is not that hard to learn and many native cultures still practice it today. Fish can also be salted, dried, brined and a couple others I forget about, all without the use of an oven and some even without a fire. Each method produces different results but most of them produce edible meat without the need for cooking after.

So, yes in a word. Fish should be able to be "cooked" on a campfire.

Saigwin
pharse

Post by pharse »

Pellandria wrote:I think you misunderstand something there lama boy, the advantage is that they ~can~ eat it, unlike other races, noone except lizards can eat raw fish and noone except orcs can eat raw ham..thats their advantage.
Exactly. A Lizard's diet goes down by eating raw fish aswell, but up with smoked fish (which is actually "bad" for all other races). Same for Orcs with raw meat and ham.

Humans have neither a bonus nor a malus. They are a balanced race.

--
Back to topic please.
Llama

Post by Llama »

pharse wrote:Exactly. A Lizard's diet goes down by eating raw fish aswell, but up with smoked fish (which is actually "bad" for all other races).
Wait wait wait wait WHAT?

You're penalising a race which lives UNDERWATER for not cooking things with FIRE? I specifically don't roast my fish because I assumed roast fish is bad for him. You really should change this in my opinion.
Tanistian_Kanea

just like fairies and fruit. i was under the assumption it was at least "normal" food for them. that is also balanced because last i checked i couldn't eat meat either...
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Can lizards still fish with their claws?