Musical Themes

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Arvemor

Musical Themes

Post by Arvemor »

Yo, It's been discussed but not resolved to my knowledge, but what do people think of music while playing, other than the combat one? Say have a darker theme for the witch's house, a nice string melody for the elves etc....I compose little melodies on my keyboard, and using Audacity I can save them as basically anything...
Examples of the kind of music I do... (There's two songs on there)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGEgamvfCrI

These were originally created for a school game project, but never got used...They're not Beethoven...but I think it would be nicer than nothing.
Also, would having music be implemented in the game be difficult?
Really appreciate feedback too, guys!
Llama

Post by Llama »

More music is always a good thing. The link you gave me says "Temple" or "Graveyard" to me.

Hopefully someone important enough (I think its one of our martins) will read it.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

http://illarion.org/general/us_news.php ... 3#news_183
Last but not least the possibility of play OGG Vorbis files was added to the client. Those are the open source equivalent to MP3 soundfiles and offer us the possibility to add more soundfiles to the client without a large increase to the size of the files. Also these new ogg files are played faster and with less hardware ressources than the old wav files.
I think that should answer your question about the format.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Okay, so the possibilty is definately there...do you actually like the music? That's probably more important than anything.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Its a bit sharp sounding - probably a midi file - but I do like it.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

It's always better to have sounds/music that I can turn off, instead of having no sounds/music at all.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

I agree...songs can get repetitive. Could viewers please give an "aye" or a "nay" and maybe give a reason? I'd like to make sure people care before I talk to someone about implementing it.
Ardian

Post by Ardian »

A double 'Aye'! It sounds nice, I can imagine such a theme as really good for the graveyard.
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

I agree, what program you using to make them? Cos when i first started making music i used Audacity and then saves my pennies and bought Cakewalk Sonar 8 And its AMAZING!!!
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

i like the idea of having background music for places..but, wasnt this suggested before? or was that just hemispheres trolling? yes i still remember 'that' asshole...... :evil: he was like a politician..prommising gold and green forests and then just dissapeared after sending a link out with animals that you ha dto pay to receive.....:P
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

It was suggested before. A few people even said they want to create something. But none of them created anything useable.

Nitram
Alexander Knight

Well if we all have a ganders at creating them would you consider Putting it into the game?

And i doubt i would be anygood at this unless Illarion wants a drum and bass feel to it? :P
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Lol...so people are liking? Are these "Ayes"? Nitram what were your thoughts? Is this usuable?

And Alex...I wouldnt mind a bit 'o' drum and bass! 8)
Oh...and the program I used to neaten it up and save was Audacity...but it was actually just played on my electronic keyboard...I can record my self then add more parts to it...also I have about 3oo different insturments with about 100 similiar ones...so no problems there.
Alexander Knight

If you want to try loops there is a free program called Dss dj and even http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/masters.html (They have many MANY programs like converters, sound tap, metronome, and beat generator and it is actually easier to use that Audacity.

If you need any samples i suggest prime loops and they even have some for free (If anyone wants any add me on msn and il send you some samples depending on what genre you would like) and if your looking for a dark sinister feel i would recomend 'Boo Synths' Which is avalible to buy off Htfr.com *Coughs* Rapidshare!
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Cool, thanks Ill take a look
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I would take a pretty lot of music into the game. Except those that does not fit at all.

IF there is enough music to make the change worthy I would even consider changing the background music from MIDI to OGG in case its needed.
But first do something that sound "medival" fitting into Illarion.

Nitram
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Alright, I'll have a crack at some new stuff tomorrow.
-Edit-
There's going to be some conflicting views on this though...What I think fits Illarion may not be what you or Alexander Knight think fits Illarion...I don't believe everyone will be happy, but I'll do my best. I'll make one example at a time...if people like it then I'll make more...but I'm not gonna chug out tonnes of songs if noone likes them.
Alexander Knight

http://www.youtube.com/user/deadlywizard234

Some guy posted the top rpg game soundtracks, im thinking more along the lines of diablo rather than FF but if antones got an idea of a game with a good soundtrack i might be able to base the track upon it.

And maybe for trolls bane some random people talking? and at night change it to whispers and crickets?
Alexander Knight

Sorry to keep posting but i have to add that if anyone tries to make a track for Illarion and uses free samples please please PLEASE make sure you have sample rights otherwise Illarion will get sued :) and none of us want that
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

Arvemor, on my behalf it is a complete *aye* and a thank you so much!!!
Are you going to make special sounds for towns, too? Can you do something for Nordmark? ;) We have to get to talk sometime about that...
Alexander Knight

please post your thoughts about why type of music you would like for the different towns, Im thinking for Tol a nice airy synth and maybe for the union a sort of folk hillbilly music
Thrym

Post by Thrym »

Can anything licensed under creative commons be used in Illa if it is in ogg format? It is a noncommercial use, as far as I know. ;)
Alexander Knight

Well you either need to contact the owner asking for premission of usage or check see if there is a terms of usage it should say something like this: TERMS OF USE: You may use the sound effects on this web site free of charge in your video, film, audio and multimedia productions but DO NOT re-sell them. If you use these sound effects, please consider linking back to this site but you don't have to.
Thrym

Post by Thrym »

Alexander Knight wrote:Well you either need to contact the owner asking for premission of usage or check see if there is a terms of usage it should say something like this: TERMS OF USE: You may use the sound effects on this web site free of charge in your video, film, audio and multimedia productions but DO NOT re-sell them. If you use these sound effects, please consider linking back to this site but you don't have to.
The creative commons license typically means "You may use this except for commercial purposes/modification, and you must attribute it to me" or some such, depending on which license they have. But I'm always second guessing myself, so... just wanted other peoples' confirmation.
Alexander Knight

Well i think putting it in a game would come under commercial purpose but im not too sure
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

It isn't a commercial purpose unless we start paying for the game, at least I think that is how it works. I hate to say it but anything that isn't free unlicenced distribution, or directly signed over by a player, or created by a developer during development time would be suspect and would require a layer's "ok".

Sometimes it really sucks to live in such a sue-happy society.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

As for the sound effects and things, I even have birds twittering and stuff like that on my keyboard, so it wouldn't be difficult to do.
Also, anything I do, I'm making up myself so there's no worries there (regarding copyright).
But this is good, it looks like people like the idea...makes me happy. I'll post some more songs up, once I've composed and recorded them.

In a bit I'll start a list in the General Forum maybe, so people can say what they think needs/deserves a theme.
Silo

Post by Silo »

Ah... Yeah. Instead of worrying about the whole legal issue thing, just take what the samples have and make it your own. Not too hard to do. I'll see if I get the chance to write anything up, in the meantime :)
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Cool, your a muso?
Silo

Post by Silo »

A bit ;) Not sure if I can put anything "medieval" together, though.