Quitting game while targeted

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Rye

Quitting game while targeted

Post by Rye »

A short while ago I was out training my sword skills and while I was in a fight with a Goblin warrior my connection was lost by accident. The computer became unplugged from the wall and I had to reboot. In another game I played before I discovered Illarion (Oberin) if you quit the game while targeted by a creature your character actually remained onscreen and the attack continued. You stopped attacking but the creature would continue hitting you until you were clouded. It happened to me a few times and there was always a frantic time to get rebooted and log back in before you lost items that you were carrying. This was implemented to stop characters just quitting the game to avoid a dangerous situation. When I finally rebooted the machine and came back to Illarion my character was fine and the goblin had wandered away. As a player I would never quit to avoid a bad situation. I figure if you got yourself into it you better get out of it. But am I correct in assuming that there is nothing to stop a player from just quitting during a combat? There is only an honor system to see that people won't cheat in this way?
orgis

Post by orgis »

pretty much, though any half decent rper wouldn't try that unless they really had to go, the ones to usually do this is the wee noobthatcomes along, trys to kill people, starts to lose then just quits
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

Rule 14 wrote:Exploitation of bugs or technical limits (e.g. intentional server crashing, multiplying of items, using the technical shadow of a building to flee, logging out during a conflict situation, ...) to get an advantage or cause a disadvantage for others is strictly forbidden.
Rye

Post by Rye »

Right then. I thought that was the deal.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I think the rule itself is more orless connected to an rp situation, where you log out to flee a clouding or catching and its more or less a crime when you do it several times, I think we all lost connection in the middle of playing allready, so its not a big deal.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Logging out when a monster is about to kill you is lame also ;) And I usually make sure that there are a lot of monsters around when the player logs in later again.

How ever the server logs out the character instantly in case the client sends a logout request. No matter on the conditions. That the server keeps the character IG when a monster attacks a player is just wrong.

It only happens in case the internet connection collapses and the client does not send a logout. Then the server does not notice that the client is gone. And there is no way around this.

Nitram
Rye

Post by Rye »

Thank you for the explanations. Personally, I like the rather Draconic Rule that kept your char. ingame if you try to escape a situation. It made players who liked to solo in dangerous areas on their toes.
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

I've tried grouping twice in caverns and both times I was left behind when I was booted from the game and couldn't get back on for a while. That's bad enough, to have to figure out a way out from an area that I really shouldn't be with my personal power, but to have my character just sit there in game and die because of it seems a bit harsh. Afterall, even if you do log out your health doesn't recover and everything that was there before is pretty much still there, so the game already is built to keep people from doing that.

Just my thoughts on the situation from somebody who has seen the other side.
Llama

Post by Llama »

If you're with a nice group, they usually wait up for you - warn them beforehand and they'll be more open to it.

I used to suffer from the 'kicked but charcter is still there' bug - died once or twice because of it, but other times my team-mates protected me.

But that's a rare occurance now.