New player sprites?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Arvemor

New player sprites?

Post by Arvemor »

I know nothing about Java(I'm a C# kinda guy), and have no idea how the code is being implemented. If I worked on some extra sprites for characters, would someone be interested in incorporating them? Would you, the players be interested in using them? This is just a question, don't mind people saying no, but don't call me ignorant, or say I have much to learn or some obscure other way of being unhelpful(as has happened a few times here.) I'm just trying to give back to the game and community I fell in love with very quickly. :D
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

No, I do not want to use your sprites.

You should not ask "the players", but present your (finished) work to a developer.
There is but one thing to keep in mind, all (/most?) of the items in game are based on 3d objects rather then 2d pixel art.
You'd want to take a look into 3d modeling if you are intrested into contributing on the graphics side of the game.

Otherwise, C# sounds like the perfect foundation for anykind of programming, especialy scripting, if you are intrested in helping.
Llama

Post by Llama »

If you want to know - Client is in Java, Server is in C++ (If I remember well - could be C# don't remember), and Scripting is in Lua

Now if you're good at making graphics, then we defentally need you.

As for sprites for new players - they can wait for the paperdolling system.
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

Hm.. I've got an idea, not as complicated as paperdolling, but will bring variety to the game:

You know the bland orange-ish color they use for shirts for humans, and most other races?
Can't there be an option before you develop your character, you can select a few options of different colored clothing? (Faded blue, dark green, faded red, grey, brown shirts; grey, black, dark-brown capes?)
It's not as good as paperdolling, but it'd give everyone a bigger sense of individuality IG, my two pesos. >.>
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Hello, yeah. I didn't actually mean using "sprites" per se...I meant editing the ones we've got for more variety...like maybe a dark skinned human, a blond haired elf,that sort of thing... different clothing like Wolf said. But if you've got paperdolling coming into play that's awesome. Have you already got someone to make the graphics for it? If not, I'd be happy to oblige!
If you like I can show you an example of what I could do?
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Note that his is my personal opinion:
Re-colours of existing graphics look horrible (and that is an understatement).
martin

Post by martin »

If you had just read this forum, you'd know that we're working on paperdolling right now.

There is no need for substitution, as we've already put an enormous amount of time and effort into that and we're probably more than half way done.

Martin
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Okay cool. No hostilities needed...I just wanted to lend a hand.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Arvemor wrote:Okay cool. No hostilities needed...I just wanted to lend a hand.
As I said before, if you're really good at making graphics - we are in sorely need of item graphics.

martin seems to be our graphics master here, so I'd suggest you speak directly to him.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Martin eh? I might just do that. Thanks, Hadrian.