Portal Destinations

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

AlexRose

Portal Destinations

Post by AlexRose »

I always imagine portals as gates with a blue outline but if you look through the middle you can see your destination. How about we have it so if you click the portal it says "Portal to Hellbriar" etc.?
Thrym

Post by Thrym »

That would be useful the next time a mage gives me a portal to "Silverbrand", which actually transported me to the middle of nowhere in orc territory where my presence was unwelcome. O.o
Llama

Post by Llama »

Should be simple enough to implement I suppose.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

Thrym wrote:That would be useful the next time a mage gives me a portal to "Silverbrand", which actually transported me to the middle of nowhere in orc territory where my presence was unwelcome. O.o
that's awesome...

but for the proposal by looking at the graphics i would say it is a small rift in time/space and you cannot see to the other side. just see the rift as crackling energy thing.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Yes well the graphic can't show anything because the other side of the portal could be anything, so they can't be specific about what's through it.

Or you could have it if you stand right next to the portal and shift click it it emotes "#me sticks his/her head through the portal" and !informs you "The portal leads to X".
Aust

Post by Aust »

LOL... I entered this forum to make the exact same proposal.. xD Is it technically possible though?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I thought this ever since I was able to cast the portal spell but I never bothered to suggest it :P .

Also, if you had to be within the adjacent tile this would also be funny because to check where the portal went you'd have to risk being pushed in :P

You could even make a silly little system.

*X shift clicks the portal*
"X puts his head into the portal and looks around"
[Inform X: The portal goes to Hellbriar]

Then there could be a 1/10 chance you accidentally stumble in :P .

Or not, depending on what people want ;) .
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I actually like not "seeing" where a portal goes to and have some VERY interesting RP sessions when jumping into a few. :D
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Psst... Alex... What happens if you stick your head in and... portal closes?

Question: If you open a portal to somewhere and go through, should another portal be on the other side?...
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

No. One way ticket.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

So you walk through a doorway and appear in mid-air? If you think of it as a rift in space... I'd think the rift would open somewhere.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Oh no.

How will Blake send annoying people to Hellbriar or Orcs' cave now? ;_;
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Technically possible. The portal knows where it leads to.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Nitram wrote:Technically possible. The portal knows where it leads to.
Is implementing this as simple as

if (TargetCoor == X) then
[ bla bla]
?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Yes. Its exactly that kind of a annoying script to write. Repetitive, long, boring.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Nitram wrote:Yes. Its exactly that kind of a annoying script to write. Repetitive, long, boring.
I volunteer I suppose *shrug*
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Or you could just leave it like it is? ;_;

It's really useful to trick people away from us you know.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Hmm, mages want to know where portals go, but still want to trick people...

How about an ancient check?
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Hmm, mages want to know where portals go, but still want to trick people...

How about an ancient check?
Not only mage can speak ancient :P
Ancient is a language in first place. But you could check if a char belongs to the mages-class. Well, currently every char belongs to the mage-class, except druids. :P
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

How about a spell that tells you where it leads?
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

The two-way portal suggestion is nonsense.
Okay, its a rift in space, but if yu open a portal, others could just follow you from the other side to your side.

I would not like appearing portals everywhere.
Thrym

Post by Thrym »

Jupiter wrote:But you could check if a char belongs to the mages-class. Well, currently every char belongs to the mage-class, except druids. :P
Yeah... I started reading that and was like "Uh-uh!". You cannot find out if someone is a mage by the examination runes the way that they are intended (since at current everyone that is not a druid seems to qualify as a mage), but if that were different, then maybe the mage check would work.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Or if a user's essence and intelligence both are equal to or higher than 15?
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

And if it is a really intelligent and godblessed farmer?

OH GOD; ITS A MAGE!!!

*the man goes to the field and throws out his seeds*
pharse

Post by pharse »

Everyone with magic class "mage" who possesses at least one rune is, technically, a mage.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

pharse wrote:Everyone with magic class "mage" who possesses at least one rune is, technically, a mage.
To the druids, everyone is either a mage or a druid however, unless it is a bug.
Thrym

Post by Thrym »

Juliana D'cheyne wrote:
pharse wrote:Everyone with magic class "mage" who possesses at least one rune is, technically, a mage.
To the druids, everyone is either a mage or a druid however, unless it is a bug.
Indeed. Druids cannot see "Mage, Druid, Non-Magic". They can only see "Mage" and "Druid". Thus, everyone who isn't a druid is classified, to us, as a mage. It's weird. O.o
pharse

Post by pharse »

obviously a bug. That's because the default value for "magic type" is 0, which is unfortunately mage...
Please report it in mantis.

PS: for mana regeneration it is checked as I have described it, so this should be corrected for the druids.
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

Although this proposal is good for everyone playing a char who does not like mages and sometimes even has to hunt them down, I don't like the idea. I also can tell you.

Jumping after a mage into a portal was especially for Norodaj always something they needed to be brave for. They did not know where they would end up jumping in there. If now they can easily see they will land in Silverbrand f.e., jumping after the mage is no longer an act of bravery.
Also, it was always fun to jump in portals and not knowing where you would end up. (for the players). I liked it very much.
Thirdly, how will a mage now set a trap for a warrior? Portals were super-easy, and it was always gripping to be on the warrior side and get through without knowing what would happen.

So, yes, it makes warriors more powerful and mages a little less. And usually I am all for that. But in this case I must say, it is better as it is now, and changing would destroy some rp fun.
Kenneth Ladrus

Post by Kenneth Ladrus »

MoonDust wrote:Or if a user's essence and intelligence both are equal to or higher than 15?
If you actually look through the portal and see like the market place of Trolls Bane, you don't have to be that smart to know that it leads to the marketplace of Trolls Bane. That's how I would have imagened that.