Getting To Know You...

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

David Turner

Getting To Know You...

Post by David Turner »

I need to know how to make and receive character introductions so that "somebody" doesn't remain their name forever. Does the game simply script that when you type your name that others then have you labeled as such? Is there anything else that I need to know about how to do it?

Thanks.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

You type #i and press enter or right click and click introduce yourself, and everyone within this range of you gets your name added to their names file.

(Where N is someone who recieves your name and Y is you).

Code: Select all

N
 NNN
NNYNN
 NNN
  N
i.e. Everyone who would be able to hear you whisper.

If someone doesn't #i you just say #w ((can I have an #i please? :) )) or something. Either they've forgotten or there could be a reason (e.g. they've given you a fake name), but if they HAVE given you a fake name you shouldn't just immediately go "You're lying, that's not your real name!" because that's OOC knowledge abuse :P
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

i practically never #i, especially since the "give name" function came out.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Which generally can be a sign of being inconsiderate to your other players, if you have introduced yourself. But oh well.
Tanistian_Kanea

actually it's normally due to the fact i don't give my last name, and if i don't give it to you i don't want you to know it. thus no #i. plus i'm also likely to fudge my name if i just met someone.
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

What does the #i function actually do besides add your name to their name file? Does it give a prerecorded set of information (and, if so, then how do you set it),? Does it include any prefixes or titles that you have added to your name (and, if so, does that get updated automatically when you update your name with those or do you need to reintroduce yourself)? Does it just add the name but not give any message to the player that it has been done?

Also, How do you update their name manually if they don't use the #i function themselves?
Tanistian_Kanea

#i just puts the name in the name file
it can include titles.
it is not updated unless the person #i again
i do not think this gives any message when done
You can right click the person "give name"to give name or change the current one.
Llama

Post by Llama »

alternativly you can !name [person's number] [Name]

But that's the old method and its not used much. Might be useful if the guy logged off or something.
--

And no, it gives no message when you do it, you'll have to do it yourself

"Greetings, I am David Turner"
#i
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

So, for the alternate method ( !name (person's number)(person's name) ) how do you find out what the person's number is? Also, if that is the old method, than is there a newer command somewhere that will also help you change their name?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

And you have to re#i everyone when you add a !prefix or a !suffix.

Also, you'll lose your names file if you e.g. format your pc or something. Or get a new laptop or whatever. You'll have to get everyone to re#i, or you can just copy the file over. Same with map data.

The new method is to right click the character, click Give Name and type the name.

And to find their number you have to open the client, go in options and go on the old "number" mode, so everyone you don't know will be "Someone(XXXXXXXXXX)" instead of "A man".
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Vern Kron wrote:Which generally can be a sign of being inconsiderate to your other players, if you have introduced yourself. But oh well.
Not necessarily, I have one char that never #i's due to background of the char, others will, a lot depends on the RP. It is so easy to just name a character that it doesn't matter to me if they #i or not. Some that never get introduced to my char due to circumstances ig like a battle get a made up name "friendly mage", "killer orc", "blood thirsty fighter" "runs right past never emoting" :wink:
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

No one #i's anymore.... :( It's gotten to the point where the rare person does and I jump and go "Ooh! Yay!"
Drakon Gerwulf
Developer

Post by Drakon Gerwulf »

It may not be their fault, there where a few times I met people and given my name (( #I )) and they tell me to do it. Any more I make sure to click it at least three times to make sure it takes. I know Drakon doesn't know Alli's name even though you told him, I had to give her the name so I knew who she was. it may be a bug or its just not taking.

Drakon Gerwulf
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

I'm totally against the use of #i ( even if I use it now and then :oops: )

If everyone had the reflex of right-click > give name, then shady people who hide their identity would suffer less. :(
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

So what happens if someone has nicknamed me with the !name(number)(name) function and then I give them my name with the #i function? Does the name stay the same, or does it change, or if they delete their nickname does it automatically revert but not until then, or what?
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

If someone #i's that you have named, it will change to their #i, but you can always change it back to whatever, which I have done a few times in the past. :wink: Some things in the wiki can answer a lot of your questions, some things can also be tested out ig or even asked ig too. http://illarion.org/community/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Why do you have to hide your name to play a shady character? Who cares? What can anyone do with your name anyway? If you're consistently giving the same name to everyone else, there's no point.

I can see why people would do it because you can't set your name as something like The Shadow or something and you're trying to sound cool because you think that that doesn't sound ridiculous; but when you want to change one genero-name to another genero-name, WHAT'S THE POINT?

Also I hate how many people hide themselves on the online list nowadays. Have you never been in the situation where you've seen a good friend ig and after previously thinking you wouldn't bother going ig you changed your mind based on that? Well noone's gonna come ig to see YOU if you're using a fake name and you've hidden it on the online list.

And why? So you can act all cool and shady? Oh wow, I'm such a hardcore badass, I changed a couple of syllables in my name to conceal my true identity, which none shall know! Now everyone on the island knows me as Artie Biller when I'm really called Arthur Miller. Muahaha, my evil knows no limits. Nevermind the fact that if someone writes "Artie Biller has been banned from Troll's Bane", everyone will still know that means you.

Really, I don't see the logic.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

You're not very smart today Alexy-wexy.

If you give the name "Jake" to person A.
And give the name "Paul" to person B.

You then rob person A. Person A tells person B that Jake robbed them.

Person B isn't suspicious of you since to them, you're Paul, not Jake.

You rob person B.

Person B tells everyone that Paul robbed him. You give different names every time.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Yeah but you personally give everyone the same name anyway so you have no use for this.

And that fails as soon as you have two people in the same room who you've given different names. If you do big misdeeds, your name WILL get around, and people will mutter to each other "there's that X guy" and people will know you by what their friends say etc.

In the end, you pretty much fool noone of importance.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

We're allowed to have 5 characters you know.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

AlexRose wrote:And that fails as soon as you have two people in the same room who you've given different names. If you do big misdeeds, your name WILL get around, and people will mutter to each other "there's that X guy" and people will know you by what their friends say etc.

In the end, you pretty much fool noone of importance.