Magical items

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Rye

Magical items

Post by Rye »

In my short time on Golbaith I have seen very few magical items. All I have found are swords that have magical powers. Are there any other enchanted things? Are there no rings or amulets or anything else?
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

magical gems can be used to give items magical properties. though i have not bothered to learn where to find these. but it is possible.
Llama

Post by Llama »

For more information about magic gems check out the trollsbane library.

You might need a bit of library research skill, but there are books there which describe what each gem does.

You basically get a gem, use it with an item and you have the item which gives you the traits of the gem. You can also (at a risk) attach 3 level 1 gems to get a level 2 gem. Simialrly you can attach 3 level 2 gems to get a level 3 gem - until you have a level 10 gem.

Doing so has been calculated to take a few years, so if you find a magical gem, keep it and use it ;)
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Doing so has been calculated to take a few years,
...For Matt. The rest of us don't even have a statistical chance for doing that. :wink:
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Since the introduction of the magical gem system Verdazar has managed to collect around 28 latent gems of various types.

That includes gems collected personally as well as those donated by other Temple members.

The sytem's been around for what? 6 months?

So that's about 4 1/2 gems per month.

Then factor in it takes on average 100 monsters to provide a magical gem.

And you're left with two conclusions.

1.) Its very hard to get magic gems.
2.) I have no life.
Tanistian_Kanea

is the only way to get gems killing things? if so... that REALLY sucks for crafters. and me
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Crafters have money to buy gems.

-Matt
Llama

Post by Llama »

Mr. Cromwell wrote:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:Doing so has been calculated to take a few years,
...For Matt. The rest of us don't even have a statistical chance for doing that. :wink:
I calculated it'd take you 37 years to do so. Can't find the thread currently :P
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

And since you require 19683 level 1 gems of the same kind to get a level 10 gem, it's pretty damned unlikely that anyone will get one through those means.
Tanistian_Kanea

AlexRose wrote:And since you require 19683 level 1 gems of the same kind to get a level 10 gem, it's pretty damned unlikely that anyone will get one through those means.
i just double checked this because i thought the math was wrong. This is WAY to many. why not make it 5 levels of gems, but double the boost from each level, or some other scale so that 5 is as strong as 10.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Apparently even 1 is SIGNIFCANT.

A level 10 gem would be so amazingly overpowered.

I think I'll create a few on the TS and stay running around with them :P
Tanistian_Kanea

sorry, even if gems cost only 1 silver that would be 19863 silver. 2 silver each you say? 39726. 10? 198 630 20 silver (much more likely price) 397 260 silver. can someone calculate how much of gobiath you could buy with this? now lets say you want 2 for each piece or armor (4 because i am not sure if steel boots and gloves count as armor) 2 for helm (6) 2 for weapon (8 ) trinkets (11) if you include the gloves and boots your up to 15. which means it would cost 5 958 900. yes that's right. 6 million silver. now they say it becomes increasingly harder to join the powers. so lets assume that level 10 has 50% chance. this means you are looking at roughly 12 000 000 silver. i think i could buy all of gobiath for that. developers, can we have some balancing here?
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Okay kids calm down.

Magic gem drops are in the first version, when the new fighting system comes out with better monsters and such, higher level magic gems will be obtainable depending on the difficulty of the monster.

So like you might find a few demons who drop level 5 gems, then you can get the higher levels easilly.

-Matt
Tanistian_Kanea

then i still have a big problem as this benefits fighters directly and in a big way. what about everyone else?
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:then i still have a big problem as this benefits fighters directly and in a big way. what about everyone else?
Well, last time I checked, mages can kill monsters too (much easier than fighters even).

As for crafters, they seriously need something to spend money on anyway.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

About the crafters, what do you expect? They live to supply the main chars who are fighters and mages.

I don't see how it can work otherwise, a smith smelts ores in a furnace and has a chance of a magical gem popping out of the waste unit?

The gems are powerful and thus need to be difficult to get = monsters.

-Matt
Tanistian_Kanea

Retlak wrote:About the crafters, what do you expect? They live to supply the main chars who are fighters and mages.

I don't see how it can work otherwise, a smith smelts ores in a furnace and has a chance of a magical gem popping out of the waste unit?

The gems are powerful and thus need to be difficult to get = monsters.

-Matt
First line: Well that is a supremist way of thinking that seems terrible. because it sounds like you just said crafting charcters are inferior to fighters and mages.

Second line: no.

Third line: Hard to get does not mean monsters, i means hard to get.

Edit:@Crom. Why does everyone assume I have magic? (it's the way it seems anyway)
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:First line: Well that is a supremist way of thinking that seems terrible. because it sounds like you just said crafting charcters are inferior to fighters and mages.

Second line: no.

Third line: Hard to get does not mean monsters, i means hard to get.
Whether you interpret what I said correctly is up to you, personally I think one can't work without the other.

As for hard to get, Illarion doesn't have many technical ways of making something difficult to get.

-Matt
Velask

Post by Velask »

Magic Gems are a reward for beating hard monsters.

If crafters can't beat hard monsters they can either buy gems of others, or go without.

You seem to think you deserve to have magic gems just by playing?

Mages can't make suits of armour, crafters can't beat magic gem carrying monsters.