Poison

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Poison

Post by Llama »

This is my fully expanded idea for poison.

Firstly, poison weapons may not be crafted - instead certain items may be poisoned after they have been created.

There will be a number of different kinds of poisons - obtainable through druidry or from killing wild poisonous animals - different poisons would have different effect.
  • - Strenght
    No blood clothing
    - Const
    - Agil
    - Intel
    - Perc
To use the poison, you need to use the bottle with a poisonable weapon or with arrows/ammunition.

The weapon itself is deleted and in its place appears a poisoned weapon graphic (same quality) with datavalue used to differentiate between poisons. Clicking on the weapon tells you what poison there is "You see Serinjah-Sword Poisoned with [ ] "

Poisining the weapon itself increases poison skill, and determines how many attempts you get at poisoning the target (from 1 - 7) (in the case of ammunition, poison skill simply determines how many arrows you can make from each bottle)

When the weapon is equipped, every single time it hits, there is a chance of poisoning the target. If the poisioning succeds, the person suffers a lte of -3 to that attribute for a period of time depending on the poisoner's skill. Either way, the weapon loses a 'poison attempt', which when they reach 0, decomposes it into the normal weapon. Arrows don't suffer from this effect.

Removing poison is as simple as drinking a well-made-enough antitode, or just waiting it out. A message should be received when you're poisoned which details the type of poison you took.

This way, poison does not remain a "Insta-kill" but actually an interesting way of reducing a powerful opponent to your level.
Aust

Post by Aust »

I like health drain.

Besides, what would you do with spells like KEL YEG? Add 5 different versions of them?
Last edited by Aust on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valione

Post by Valione »

Alright it might just be me but I'm not entirely sure this proposal actually makes sense for poisoning, because personally I expect poison to be deadly, imho I wouldn't even bother looking for an antidote my char didn't fear the effects of the poison, and in this proposal I don't think anyone really would. Just seems like another building block on the road to making this game alot easier for everyone. Seriously I don't mean to flame you but all these proposals nowadays seem to endanger any IG fear that there may be. Soon their will be no threats in this game, and it will be a land of uber chars who learn everything in a day and walk around with poison in their veins going "Hi I'm poisoned, but don't worry, I'll just feel a little weak for a while, but then we can go pwn demons!!11!".
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

How about a poison that affects your mana, so that anti-mage chars can stand a chance against a mage? Because as you stated it, all the poisonous weapons would only affect fighters.
Interesting idea all in all :D

EDIT @ the guy above me:

I don't think there is sooo much fear of being poisoned as it is already. Besides, if a poisonous arrow can decrease your strength, your health or even your possibility to run, you WILL fear the guy with the bow. I guess it would be a lot more possibility for every one who likes to do tactics. And just think of a group of weaker guys who try to get to a strong fighter, but he always defeats them. Now they can use the arrows to weaken him and BAM! - knock him down. This would mean he can also rp losing without losing honour, if you can understand what I mean.
Say f.e. Vigalf, Jarl of Nordmark, is in Bane and he is drunk and even more drunk. Then an elven Baner Townguard steps up to him, asking for his name because he vandalized in the Fluffy Sheep.
Vigalf at once bashes him down (after all he is Nordmarks best warrior) but then the Elves colleague steps in, shoots with one of those arrows, and although he usually would lose, he now can arrest the petrified Jarl.

((JUST AN EXAMPLE!!! ))
Last edited by Rhianna Morgan on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aust

Post by Aust »

Rhianna Morgan wrote:How about a poison that affects your mana, so that anti-mage chars can stand a chance against a mage? Because as you stated it, all the poisonous weapons would only affect fighters.
Interesting idea all in all :D
Drain intelligence....? It would affect mages just as much as fighters.
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

Yes but at the moment, fighters are weaker than mages, and there are guys IG who would definitely try to trick mages with poisons if they could. And draining mana would be a great possibility. Believe me, they would be that evil. I play one of them :twisted: . ;)
Aust

Post by Aust »

Mages are SUPOSED to be more powerful than fighters (and if they still are, is discussable). If you want to change that, poison is not the obvious way to go. Dragining mana would be a FAR greater punishment to a mage than loosing atribs would be for a warrior (believe me, I play one).
Last edited by Aust on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I think you haggle over unlaid eggs here people, if a figther is close enough to poision a mage the mage normally is dead allready.

Other than that I would like to see all variations off poision and not only the attribut changing, how about a poision that blinds your char for a few moments or that makes every movement command turn randomly into another direction, stuff a thief or a real sneaky figther could actually use, poision your target with a "drunk" poision, step back and finish him off with arrows or such.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Fighter/Mage discussion is in the other board children.

Allright if people don;t think -3 attribute is a lot, how about a temporary skill drain? 50% skill off is powerful enough for mister assasin?
Aust

Post by Aust »

Pellandria wrote:I think you haggle over unlaid eggs here people, if a figther is close enough to poision a mage the mage normally is dead allready.
Only n00b mages:P No really.. you have a point.

Err.. Sure HaHa.. I will get back to your suggestion some time (tonight or something:P).
Lord Arcia

Re: Poison

Post by Lord Arcia »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:When the weapon is equipped, every single time it hits, there is a chance of poisoning the target. If the poisioning succeds, the person suffers a lte of -3 to that attribute for a period of time depending on the poisoner's skill.
I'm all for this, except the way your words are; it looks as if the effects of your poisoning idea would stack. I'm against that.

Let's leave the poisoning skill the way it is, damage wise. I do like the idea of adding poison to weapons though. Maybe add in some random effects that the poison does to you. Make all poisons randomly lower a stat? Ranging from 1-6 ability points lowered for 3-30 seconds. I like this idea a bit more.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Lord Arcia wrote:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:When the weapon is equipped, every single time it hits, there is a chance of poisoning the target. If the poisioning succeds, the person suffers a lte of -3 to that attribute for a period of time depending on the poisoner's skill.
I'm all for this, except the way your words are; it looks as if the effects of your poisoning idea would stack. I'm against that.
Wouldn't want it to stack either. Sorry if it sounded that way.
Let's leave the poisoning skill the way it is, damage wise.
You mean "Dead in 15-30 seconds" ? I don't see how that is particularly fun or fair. "Oh look a cute little scorpion" *30 seconds later* "You are dead. Go to the yellow cross"
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Lord Arcia wrote:
You mean "Dead in 15-30 seconds" ? I don't see how that is particularly fun or fair. "Oh look a cute little scorpion" *30 seconds later* "You are dead. Go to the yellow cross"
just carry an antidote, or stop fighting. your choice.
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Lord Arcia wrote: I'm all for this, except the way your words are; it looks as if the effects of your poisoning idea would stack. I'm against that.
just carry an antidote, or stop fighting. your choice.
I think what he ment was when (Sure, hardly happens) but let's just say Ranek decides to take a stroll in the forest or some area to gather herbs, mushrooms, etc.. He see's a few scorpions/spiders/other poisonable creatures, gets attacked a few times but manages to run away, and then dies a few seconds later. (Clarification, Ranek = To be druid, only knows how to wrestle, and even then sucks at it)
Llama

Post by Llama »

@Tanistan: Oh I get it. Poison is there so you are forced to carry an antidote or stop fighting. Now I get it! What a good idea!

If I'm attacked by an ogre and get beaten up, I can run away. If I get attacked by a scorpion and get poisioned, I'n dead anyway.

I am very amazed people actually like the 'drop dead' one.

I really hate it, even if poison makes all attacks against you deal 5x damage, it'll still be superior to what it is now, because you can at least run.
Lord Arcia

Post by Lord Arcia »

I meant that the stat would be lowered for up to 30 seconds depending on the skill of the user and the poison being used.