Antidote NPC

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Athian

Antidote NPC

Post by Athian »

I'm thinking there should be at least one NPC that sells antidotes. I understand we took them away to promote the druid system But it leaves people extremely vulnerable. We in effect have made antidotes hard to obtain but poison weapons easy to acquire. Not to mention the poisonous monsters we have on the map and the YEG KEL spell (yes it works, its just not mage friendly^^)

Right now unless your a mage you really don't have any way of counteracting poison unless you know a druid who's close by enough to save you before you die.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

100% agreed. One wandering spider gives you 1 hit and you're dead...
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

We have one. Troll's Bane has a druid on staff that will shove a potion down your throat immediatly to save your life.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Wow, thats great, if you are poisoned NEXT to it. The hp loss is fast enough that you'd probably manage 40 steps max before death, without stopping (from spider poison anyway)
Azuros

Re: Antidote NPC

Post by Azuros »

Athian wrote: Right now unless your a mage you really don't have any way of counteracting poison unless you know a druid who's close by enough to save you before you die.
I haven't tested them recently so I don't know for sure, but do the druid-made antidotes not work? If they do, you can certainly buy them from a druid before you venture to a dangerous place. No need to have a druid near you at the time. (In fact, that'd be dangerous, since it takes a lot of clicking and dragging to make a potion).

In itself, I'm neutral towards the idea of an npc selling antidotes. I don't care either way, I was just wondering what you meant by that statement.
Athian

Post by Athian »

Exactly. Poison will kill you long before you reach any NPC in trollsbane if you're anywhere else on the map.

Lets all pray no one takes the time (ages as it will be) to get a decent amount of skill in poisoning.
Or that the GM's never use spiders for a quest again^^
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

I think a couple of people have/had a decent skill in poisoning :S
Athian

Re: Antidote NPC

Post by Athian »

Azuros wrote:
Athian wrote: Right now unless your a mage you really don't have any way of counteracting poison unless you know a druid who's close by enough to save you before you die.
I haven't tested them recently so I don't know for sure, but do the druid-made antidotes not work? If they do, you can certainly buy them from a druid before you venture to a dangerous place. No need to have a druid near you at the time. (In fact, that'd be dangerous, since it takes a lot of clicking and dragging to make a potion).

In itself, I'm neutral towards the idea of an npc selling antidotes. I don't care either way, I was just wondering what you meant by that statement.
There are only so many Druids. There are going to be times when one isn't online. Or you run out or antidotes are needed for emergencies that AREN'T taking place in Trollsbane. Not to mention even if one is online you have to find him/her. she won't be sitting on one spot awaiting your arrival.

I don't mean an NPC thats sells dozens of them, just maybe five or six at a time.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Can't you buy a load of potions in advance from a druid then when you're starting to run out buy more? >_>
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

AlexRose wrote:Can't you buy a load of potions in advance from a druid then when you're starting to run out buy more? >_>
:D

This would be a solution of course.
Llama

Post by Llama »

How about we make poison damage attributes instead of killing you instantly :) ?
Athian

Post by Athian »

I guess my points being missed. I'm not just talking about going questing. What about the person wandering around who gets stung by a scorpion and can't find a druid before he dies, Same with any rouge spiders (though we haven't seen many of such thankfully).

What if for example a magic person cast four yeg kels on someone?

What happens when someone fights off an attacker with a poison weapon only to be assured that they will die later?

None of these situations sound terribly fun are are all plausible. Personally, it's not going to make me much a difference, unlike alot of people i can take care of my own poisoning. But i think for those whom aren't fighters or mages etc something like an antidote should be accessible.

IF you don't like the idea why not simply place one of those anti-poison NPC's in places that aren't just trollsbane. maybe one for each town might work out a bit better.

IF you need me to prove this point feel free to log in late evenings and give me a reason to poison you :wink:
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

nah. just make an npc sell potions at like 3/4/5/6/7/8 (you pick) times the price druids do.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I don't see how having NPCs helps you in that situation. If you're in Bane, you can just go to the healer, or go to a depot where you have the potions you previously bought off a druid, or you could just have a couple of potions in a bag. I don't see why you're saying "can't find a druid before he dies"; if there were NPCs selling stuff you'd have to find an NPC before you died too.. and NPCs are usually near depots. Depots which could contain potions if you'd bought them. Or you could just.. always have a potion on you.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

AlexRose wrote:I don't see how having NPCs helps you in that situation. If you're in Bane, you can just go to the healer, or go to a depot where you have the potions you previously bought off a druid, or you could just have a couple of potions in a bag. I don't see why you're saying "can't find a druid before he dies"; if there were NPCs selling stuff you'd have to find an NPC before you died too.. and NPCs are usually near depots. Depots which could contain potions if you'd bought them. Or you could just.. always have a potion on you.

i am one for anything being able to be bought from an npc (though at a highly marked up rate). This is for those poor souls who simply cannot get on at timely hours when there are actually more then 5 people on.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

I, on the other hand, am totally against lots of stuff available through npc's. It destroys the point of having a crafter in the first place.
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:How about we make poison damage attributes instead of killing you instantly :) ?
Yeah.. And why don't we change magic to effecting what kind of day you have instead too!

:roll:
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

If a char is able to walk from the teleporter to the hospital to buy the potion, I see no difference between the lack of antidote and not being able to use a health potion except under ideal conditions. The best bet now ig seems to be to carry an antidote/carry a journey to Trolls Bane unless you have a mage with you, however I agree YEG on mages unskilled is about as helpful as a health potion to a fighter with monsters right now.

IMO the "poison" of monsters needs adjusting. Decrease the "leveling" for YEG making it as easy as MES PEN to "learn" ....and have an NPC (if can be scripted) to "sell" things submitted by chars. Another alternative is to buy potions ahead of time.
pharse

Post by pharse »

I see no point in NPCs selling antidotes.

If NPCs sold antidotes, you'd still have to buy them once and carry them with you in order to heal the poison in time before you die. But this is already possible without any NPCs. Just contact a druid and buy some antidotes.

Either you meet a druid by chance....
or contact him (via PM?) and arrange a meeting....
or, in case you can't log in when any druid is online (really?), you ask and probably pay another character whose player can log in when a druid is online and later when you're online.

There you go.
Joxia Doral

Post by Joxia Doral »

I thought it was suggested when the druid system was going to start and the health & antidote potions taken away from the NPCs that druids could keep the NPCs stocked with the potions they make. I liked this idea. keeps the druids in business and life saving potions readily available...?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Kugar wrote:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:How about we make poison damage attributes instead of killing you instantly :) ?
Yeah.. And why don't we change magic to effecting what kind of day you have instead too!

What? I did not get this

I was thinking for example A posion which damages your strenght, and another which damages your constitution et cetera.

Instead of "Hello human, I'd like to play a little game. You have 30 seconds to reach the antidote"
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Kugar wrote:

What? I did not get this

I was thinking for example A posion which damages your strenght, and another which damages your constitution et cetera.

Instead of "Hello human, I'd like to play a little game. You have 30 seconds to reach the antidote"
You see: He'd be one of them with reasonable poisoning skills I presume. ;)

So the knee-jerk reaction is due to his fear of you nerfing his lollipop.

I actually like the idea. Hell, you can even make it so that the effect of the poison would be dependent on the poisoning skill of the poisoner, vs. the con of the defender, meaning that monsters would be easier to scale and having a high con would be more useful (eg. a scorpion sting would give a person with high con a headache, and some stronger but still mild effects on low-con people, if scorpions are given a low poisoning skill).
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Wouldn't make a high Con make your poision resistance actually weaker, meaning that with a high con you got a body that has a fast and strong metabolism, thus the poision actually runs faster in your body, works harder against you, but than leaves your body faster again.

So a poision agaisnt a high con person has stronger health effects, but that is filled up with the faster health generation anyway, and a low con person gets a smaller drain over a longer period of time.

But other than that make antidote potions and some more "small" potions sellable.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

As far as you remember, you have never been severely ill. With an influenza a hot soup always got you back on your feet without you having to rest for long.
At least to me, it makes sense that high con means: Better health, hence better resistance to all natural effects against body. While your metabolism might be faster, your immune system is vastly superior to people with lower con, and your body has more possibility to cope with whatever bad effects you might encounter. A person with low con is already operating on the limits of his endurance, thus making his body much more vulnerable to any actual outside influence.

I mean, this is why old people for instance, who definitely don't have a quick metabolism, will die much easier with most poisonings/heat/disease than adults. Their bodies and general health are weaker meaning that there is no tolerance for drastic change anymore, nor any energy reserves to actually endure a long fight against some disease/poisoning.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Actually having a higher metabolism would cause posion to go away faster, if it didn't overload your organs and kill you outright.

However balance wise - I don't think miss little halfling girl with diabetes should survive a posion that kills mister orc warlord of utter pain and destruction.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Con does NOT equal metabolism.

I have a huge metabolism, I can eat anything and it'll come straight out, I won't put on any permanent weight and I never have to exercise, but there's no way I can take a punch. In illa terms I'd have 3 con.
Christopher..Rigden

Post by Christopher..Rigden »

I might just test that when i next see you...
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

..by making him eat things?