Cry of a foolish newb

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Morbius

Cry of a foolish newb

Post by Morbius »

Hello there eveyone, i have been playing for about a month now (illarion is awsome by the way) and when i made my charecter i didnt have a very good idea of what the attributes did, and in my newbyness i mixed up agility with dexterity rendering my charecter who ive grow very attatched to in this past month, a very mixed up elf. Please GM or GMs can you let me swap my 16 dexterity for my 10 agility?
i realy dont want to deleat Morbius just because i didnt know how what his attributes did.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Well, normally, they dont like to change attributes for more then 2 points in each skill, so maybe dont swap them, but make 14 dex and 12 agility.
But i know, the thing is strange if you have to delete a char you played for almost a month (or year, in my case) and try to change attributes.
Maybe a GM says yes, but as i experienced the answer is no, sorry, changing only 2 points.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Hmm yes a swap of two points is normal, I even heard that you can sometimes swap them twice, depending on how long you play, but I won't break my neck for that information.

I guess you want a figther char, if you want to go with high agility?
if so then don't be too sad, as far as I heard the agility count is not that important for the figthing and if you ever want to change to a calmer crafting live you atleast have the added bonus of dex.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Oh, dont be fooled about the importance of agility.
When using the same weapons without fighting experience, a char with 18 agility and more slashes goddamn fast, and a char with aglility 4 takes ages for slashing.

But alright, this has nothing to do with the topic ;-)
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Yes i do want i fighter charecter, and its a pain in the bum running around with 16 dexterity instead of agility knowing full well im never going to use dexterity for anything. Little things like attribute mix ups can realy drive me mad, and im still waiting far a GM to help me out of this newby rut ive gotten into.

Thanks for the comments.
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

2 points up or down - nothing more.

If you want to accept this write me a pm with your wanted points.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

By the way dexterity is also a fightung spell. Its not only for crafters, it also influences hitting and block/dodge change, as far as i know.
Llama

Post by Llama »

I personally have no idea about whether dexterity effects fighters or not. I keep hoping it doesn't.

Some day someone should really tell everyone what the attributes are for and stop makign them so confusing. When I started playing general consensus for dex was 'for crafting only', then it turned to 'for making your weapons break less', then 'for dagger fighters' and finally 'for hitting people with weapons'

If you're really back to the wall, delete the character, create a new one with the same name and proper attributes and continue to play him. You'll obviously lose all your skills and stuff, but meh...
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

The main point ive gotten out of this conversation is that the attributes (and i stress this greatly) really really really need to be explained in a clear and understandable way therefor ensuring no one gets frustrated by picking the wrong ones. So i ask you oh mighty GM will you please make it simple to understand, and create detailed descriptions of EXACTLY what the attributes do? and maby send me a copy?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

There is no description and there is no plan to create one. But in general there is no "wrong" setting of attributes and we do not really want that every player creates characters with perfect attribute settings.

How ever the attributes are used in a logical way when you think about. So if you set the attributes as you feel them to be good, its never wrong. Just a additional tip: In the most cases its not a good idea to set the attributes to the maximal or minimal values.

Nitram
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Just make a new character, it's only been a month.

Or would you rather be annoyed in a year's time when you have really good skills but your character is still useless because a year before 1 month seemed a long time?
Alsaya

Post by Alsaya »

Voilà:
Strength: Strength determines how much damage you do in melee, and how much a character is able to carry. Strenght is most important for barbarians and those who need to carry a lot - such as miners or lumberjacks

Agility: Agility determines how fast the character moves over rough ground, and how quick they are to dodge and attack. Agility is most important for fighters wearing light armour who use small weapons.

Constitution: Constitution determines how much health a character has, and how quickly they recover from their wounds. Characters planning on getting into combat should have a good constitution.

Dexterity: Dexterity determines how nimble your fingers are. Crafters find dexterity very important.

Intelligence: Intelligence determines how quickly a character learns, and how magically inclined he or she is. Mages require a lot of intelligence, as do characters who wish to learn faster.

Perception: Perception determines how well a person hits or dodges, and how precisely they can view the quality of items. Fighters require it for the former, while crafters need it for the latter.

Willpower: Willpower determines how long a character can study for, and how magically inclined he or she is. Mages require good willpower.

Essence: Essence determines how much a character is in touch with mana and the world around him. Mages require good essence to be able to cast spells more frequently.
Llama

Post by Llama »

If that is my description list, I really aren't sure about perc and dexterity either.
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Cool, but you know that kind of thing should realy be present when your picking out your attributes in the first place. And so what if everyone has good attributes? you shouldnt have to be forced into the ocupation of a crafter just because you dont have enough strength right?
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

You aren't forced into being a crafter due to a lack of strength. And if you lack strength as a fighter most likely dragging stuff long distances such as logs, ores, and various others won't be good as a crafter either.
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Sorry bad example, but you know what i was getting at right?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Morbius wrote:Sorry bad example, but you know what i was getting at right?
Every last one of my character has crappy stats. And then I end up playing them for ages, they become really skilled and they still stink.

I feel your pain.

If I were you I'd remake him.
Taiah

Post by Taiah »

Actually the examples of what the attributes help with are linked in two places for new and older players:

http://illarion.org/community/wiki/inde ... r_Creation

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=30193

However most of us have wound up remaking a character at one point. Your option would be to remake, adjust the stats slightly, go ahead and roleplay your character as you want (after all none of us has to be perfect at a profession), or change professions.
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

The one thing that mostly puts me off about remaking my charecter, isn't all the skills i will lose but is having to go around reintrodusing myslef to EVERYONE ive met and even though ive probly only played for about a month it's going to bring me great pain to do so.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

It's not so bad actually because you'll have all their names, all you need to do is walk up to them and #i and talk as normal. You probably won't even meet all of them in one day so it won't be a chore.

-Matt
Aust

Post by Aust »

Arien Edhel wrote:2 points up or down - nothing more.

If you want to accept this write me a pm with your wanted points.
For gods sake.. he is clearly new, please let him swap his atribs.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Well, rule is rule...sure its not that good for new ones but if the new players can swap the atts others would want that too...

That would just be confusing O.o
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Rekarafi wrote:Well, rule is rule...sure its not that good for new ones but if the new players can swap the atts others would want that too...

That would just be confusing O.o
If a person in a position of authority is so incapable of excercising any sort of judgment that a true one size fits all rule is really required, that begs the question whether or not the person should be passing judgment at all.

If he's new, give him more understanding with this rule, like there would be with most other rules. There's a reason why we treat newbies differently, guys.

Because, for the love of god, they are newbies.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Whatever the case... you can move your char name file to a different char.. and move the maps unless things have changed.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Achae Eanstray wrote:Whatever the case... you can move your char name file to a different char.. and move the maps unless things have changed.
Note that doing so is pretty much against the rules and won't be possible in the future.

And yeah, come on just flip his attributes, its not like he's doing anything bad or something.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Achae Eanstray wrote:Whatever the case... you can move your char name file to a different char.. and move the maps unless things have changed.
Note that doing so is pretty much against the rules and won't be possible in the future.

And yeah, come on just flip his attributes, its not like he's doing anything bad or something.
agreed, flip them. besides i think that new players should be allowed a reset on attributes anyway.
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

Thanks, im glad some people agree with me and some of my winging at last. And in very aware of my newbieness, but thanks for pointing it out to others.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

The point that the rule for newbies should be changed i like.

Mentioned such thing to a gm as i was new, but no matter now.

I mean, new chars are new chars. Its better to change attributes instead of "resetting" all RP of this char.

Guess the first month you should be able to change without making in new. Afterwards your choice is scratched into stone ;-)

Making newbie-friendly rules keeps newbies playing and telling others to play Illarion!
Aust

Post by Aust »

Morbius wrote:Thanks, im glad some people agree with me and some of my winging at last. And in very aware of my newbieness, but thanks for pointing it out to others.
You are newb, not noob :P ;)

Most Illa players are just as NOOB as you when it comes to knowledge of the atribute system. It doesnt really make sense.
Rekarafi wrote: Guess the first month you should be able to change without making in new. Afterwards your choice is scratched into stone ;-)
Thats a little long IMO.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Yeah, it should depend more on skill in my opinion.

So people don't just decide they're tired of being the best fighter IG, BAM attribute change, and now they're the best mage.