DIY - Simple item color changes

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Mr. Cromwell

DIY - Simple item color changes

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Hey

Summary:

Players are given the possibility to alter the color-description of their items on their own, without involving devs for such menial tasks.

The goals of the proposal are the following:

1.) Create a way for players to alter the color-description of their items, without bugging a dev for that.
2.) Thus, potentially save Pharse's time. ;)
3.) Increase the availability and existing number of such custom items, because they are easier created.
4.) Thus, also increase the outflow of money.

The proposal:

An NPC merchant sells special kinds of dyes which alter the name (and consequently, for RP purposes, the color of the item). So, if you want to have "blue full leatherarmor" then you march into the store and buy some blue paint and paint the armor blue. Using the dye on an item results the namechange, without chance to fail.

In addition to that, bleach is an item which restores the item to it's original state (ie. removes the color description).

Dyes cost 2,5-3s each. Bleach costs 5s. There may also be 'other' dyes, than the regular colors. Consider orange, purple, brown or violet.

Possible considerations:
1. Either the items which can be dyed must be drawn from a separate list, so the items which already have a color prefix (ie. "black coat") cannot be recolored.
2. It may be a good idea to let players produce these dyes, however there should be some resource with price in excess of 1s that is needed for the production of each dye. Bleach should be non-craftable.

Whaddya think?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Hmm, while I like this idea, I don't think many people colour their armours or weapons.

I would suggest having pre-set ones (such as "Cloak bearing the symbol of Trollsbane") but that would be a bit of a problem with people running around with them or something.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Well, I think this might be a situation of "supply creates demand" and that in the current way of handling things, it's just too much of a pain in the ass (and for normal char's wallet) to have "black leather gloves" instead of "leather gloves".

I mean, contact a dev, pay 10s for the first set of items..

Understandable for more complex stuff, like "A silk shirt with gold embroidery that reads "Hung like a horse!" " but a simple "black/red/white/blue/etc"? Nah.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I would like this MUCH better if it provided needed coin for other professions, such as tailoring. Possibly make it where it requires tailoring skill to make and add to clothes/armor since dyeing is a tailoring skill?
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

Sort of like enamel's (Sp, >_>?) for weapons and armor?
I'd actually like that, o.O
Ashayen

Post by Ashayen »

I like the idea a lot, gives the people who would use such dyes the individual touch, especially since we doesn't have different colored sorts of leather or different sorts of ore.
wilf

Post by wilf »

can someone translate in old language? i don´t understand this proporal... also i can speak english ^^"
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Custom look-ats using an item bought from an npc on the cheap, involving basic colors.

Blue full leatherarmor. That sort of thing.
Ashayen

Post by Ashayen »

Kurzfassung: Spezielle Farbe zugänglich zu machen, zum Kauf bei einem NPC, die dann dauerhaft den 'Namen' des Kleidungsstückes modifiziert. Beispiel: Eine Lederrüstung würde, bei einem Kauf blauer Farbe und beim umfärben, dann blaue Lederrüstung heissen.
wilf

Post by wilf »

fänd ich cool!

then it would be able to turn Weapons or armors in black?

i like the idea
Llama

Post by Llama »

wilf wrote:fänd ich cool!

then it would be able to turn Weapons or armors in black?

i like the idea
There's already nightplate and shadowplate if you're interested
wilf

Post by wilf »

yes i know...

i would like a black axe, or black snakesword

or an black chainarmor...or something like that
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

wilf wrote:yes i know...

Drowsword, drow blades, darkaxe, drow bow, drow armour, shadowplate, nightplate.
Valione

Post by Valione »

AlexRose wrote:
wilf wrote:yes i know...

Drowsword, drow blades, darkaxe, drow bow, drow armour, shadowplate, nightplate.
I wish they were easier to get :(

If it can be done, I wouldn't mind a coloring option for the cloths.