Make light last longer

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Grim_banned

Make light last longer

Post by Grim_banned »

Please, the burning time for a torch or an oil lamp is way too small..
You said that you'd like to see a new job, a man that lights the lamps in town at night, like in the medieval time.. well, as it is now, the man wouldnt even manage to finish the tour of the town before the first torches will run out. It's a bit silly since we know that these were made in such a way so they could last hours... well, my opinion anyway..

Discuss?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Yes please.

15 minutes or so isn't enough.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Yes PLEASE.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

If you start to distinguish between hand-held torches and torches placed in static light sources, then I am in favour of increasing the burn time of torches in holders, but not in hands.

By the way, has any of you tried candles? These burn rather long from my experience.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Are candles makeable IG yet?

I have 2 items which require a candle, but haven't found anyway to get candles.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

You can buy them, that's for sure.
Ashayen

Post by Ashayen »

You can buy them at least, by one of the guys in Elizas shop.
And i'm quite satisfied with them, they doesn't burn down that fast, probably 15 minutes or something like that.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Tol Vanima has a Chandler table where you can craft candles.
So, ask your friendly neighbourhood elves to light your dark.

Speaking of duration, I had a nice, long candle light dinner with an elfess lately, it was definatly longer than 15 minutes and the candle wasn't even burned down at the end.
Ashayen

Post by Ashayen »

Then you placed the candle somewhere? Like table? Yes, made that too a while ago and that definitely last longer than 15 minutes.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Yes, I placed the candle on a table.

I wouldn't want to imagine the silly picture of my character at a candle light dinner holding that name giving candle in his hands all the time. ;)
Llama

Post by Llama »

Keikan Hiru wrote:I wouldn't want to imagine the silly picture of my character at a candle light dinner holding that name giving candle in his hands all the time. ;)
"Can you cut the meat for me? I need one hand to hold the fork the other to hold the candle"

If elves can make candles, then I guess candles are the way to go.

Oil and torches need to last longer though.
Grim_banned

Post by Grim_banned »

Agreed, they need to last way longer. As I said before, in the old days, torches were made to last a few good hours, and the oil lamps, a while later, being used to light the streets, were lasting the whole night.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

If you'd only find a different reason then:
'In reallity this works different.', I might even agree with you.

This is a game, with differen sources of light, each needs thier own reason of existance other than flavour.

If torches were damn hard to make or come by an increase in burn time might be appropriate, but what happens to the other lights which are actually harder to craft and come by.

Base your proposal around material cost/affort to get in comparison to desired burn time and we can call this a good base for a proposal.

Otherwise:
Handheld, no.
Static, maybe.
Grim_banned

Post by Grim_banned »

Well my proposal was made mainly for the static ones.. maybe a held torch lasts less than a torch put on a wall?
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Not knowing the length of burn time/difficulty of finding/making anything but torches...and have ONLY found them in loot drops which have become more infrequent, IMO torches don't burn long enough.... even hand held.... to be worth keeping. I agree they should burn longer.
Olive

Post by Olive »

how about if you put oil on a torch it burns brighter and longer?
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I think not only static but handheld flames and oillamps should have an increase of lifespan, sure torches are easy to made, still they burn down ridicoulus fast and seem to dim and reduce its light given off allready before its half burned down.

Could torches aswell be manipulated to increase their lifespan?
Maybe creating different types of torches, a really bright shortliving torch, which burnes even brigther than the current torch, but does have the same lifespan, than a torch which has cloth wrapped around it, upgrading the lifespan to three times as normal or maybe a torch that does not infact burn down, but can be "filled" up again, maybe with pitch, burns twice as long as the normal torch, but can be reused everytime.

A clothtorch would obviously need cloth in its production and the refilling one needs iron, to create an "iron" head.

To the oillamps, generally I think increasing its light giving off might be a nice idea, after all it just gives off the light that a normal glowing artefact gives off and there is a difference between a glow and a burning flame
an increase of burntime would be nice aswell.

I can't say much to candles, never tried them.

An increase for all the static holders would really be appreceated, maybe not only them, but the possibility to "increase" its usefullness, maybe with either overfilling the static holder, oillamps give off as twice as much light, or restocking it, say for exampel as soon as one torch burns down another one will be taken from the holder "storage".
Pepe Zwirnfaden

Post by Pepe Zwirnfaden »

A torch in the hand is burning 20 minutes.
But on the walls less minutes. :|
with the Oil lamps its the same.
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

Guise, Nitram told me he knows they don't last enough and he'll put them up to 2 hours or so in a soon to come update.

Or something like that. :x
maryday

Post by maryday »

feed the firefly;
((who would be so crazy to go out by night at all, on such a dangerous island?))

statics would need impovement first,
for reasons i will not even think about further;
Thanseus Valerian
Location: Nichts ist drinnen, nichts ist draußen, was drinnen ist ist draußen, was draußen ist ist drinnen.

Post by Thanseus Valerian »

The candles are useless burn for about 15 minutes aswell as torchs
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

hmmmm..i was in the crypt for at least 1 hour or more and only used two torches one i had used from before..and the last one lasted for at least 20 minutes after i portaled my way back to trollsbane and till i put it out before i logged out..i think oil lamps lasts shorter then torches..and torches cost less, no?
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

candles actually burn longer.

I'm speaking of candlestick, haven't used my lantern until it burns out yet...

candles also do and should burn dimmer.