How much should one Rp, while he is alone.

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Mesha wrote:He says ****** (AKA, he speaks goblin)
I never heard him speaking goblin. I think that there are some words missing in the english version of this guy
Damien

Post by Damien »

Pellandria wrote: I find playing rp for myself rather boring, simply for the fact that it frustrates me, that I'm wasting my time on a skill that I normally wouldn't even care about.

So, RP = Skill you normally don't even care about...
Pellandria wrote: Selfreflection after all is a good point, but I'm not doing this to amuse a gm, after all, if a gm is watching you...
If you're RPing cause some GMs could be watching and not for your own fun, go and play WoW, there you don't have to RP at all ! :lol:
Pellandria wrote: If you want your char to evolve on its own there is always the ability for him/her to writte some kind of notebook or diary, you can do that even while playing illa at the same time, so thats more usefull than writting a few useless sentences to an empty screen, while I wait for a chance to rp...
...while waiting for the skillcap to go down...

You, Sir, are still an Uber-N00b !

:P
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

Damien wrote:
Pellandria wrote: I find playing rp for myself rather boring, simply for the fact that it frustrates me, that I'm wasting my time on a skill that I normally wouldn't even care about.

Pellandria wrote: Selfreflection after all is a good point, but I'm not doing this to amuse a gm, after all, if a gm is watching you...
If you're RPing cause some GMs could be watching and not for your own fun, go and play WoW, there you don't have to RP at all ! :lol:
Pellandria wrote: If you want your char to evolve on its own there is always the ability for him/her to writte some kind of notebook or diary, you can do that even while playing illa at the same time, so thats more usefull than writting a few useless sentences to an empty screen, while I wait for a chance to rp...

For once, I actually agree with Pell.

Roleplaying alone is a little retarded.
Daelyn

Post by Daelyn »

LifeWonder wrote:
Damien wrote:

For once, I actually agree with Pell.

Roleplaying alone is a little retarded.
Agreed...

I am not saying you shouldn't RP when you're alone if you like to do so... But I don't see why we should encourage it.

After skill training for some time your rp gets a little rusty, sure enough, but just control that by lowering the skill cap even more? Or get a new skill system already :/

Personally I would just feel like I have no life if I RP'd alone xD
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Damien wrote: So, RP = Skill you normally don't even care about...
You should play the game now and then, because you now need skills for playing a role unless you want to drop out of the mage buisness, gimme a skillup so I can teach these runes and you won't see me pg'ing that stupid spell :P

Damien wrote: If you're RPing cause some GMs could be watching and not for your own fun, go and play WoW, there you don't have to RP at all ! :lol:
I'm playing that game for my fun, skilling is not fun, combining skilling with rp'ing is only fun in a group, so wheres your point, if I want some Gm breathing down my neck, well then I'm still ~right~ here.

Damien wrote:...while waiting for the skillcap to go down...

Yes those times sitting in the tavern alone, while not even doing any kind of skill related action gives me the super duper bonus on skilling, that automaticly transforms my char in a ~ROBOT~, man its so awesome.. it can shoot lazors from its eyes and rockets and all that stuff, it can even fly !

I just have to do the ~kaplowy~ sounds of the zappy gun for myself ...
Kail Revira

Post by Kail Revira »

Can we not all agree that RPing alone is a preference? I mean, it really doesn't matter to everyone else, just what you want. Sure, it can help you develop your character more, but thats only if you want to. I think the answer to the question of the thread is "however much you want, its your game too"
Damien

Post by Damien »

It doesn't develop your char if you RP for yourself. Not at all. You are the one developing it, and how you do it, doesn't really matter.

RPing or not RPing when noone is near doesn't matter. But :

If you login because you want to RP, you have a different attitude than when you login to skill.
That's all there is about. Of course, you also can do a lot of bullshit when noone else is around, well, theoretically... :twisted:

Concerning RP with NPCs : If you "rp" with NPCs, and other players are near and see that, and you also RP with them, perhaps even complain about how Eliza manages to haggle you down every time or stuff like that, well. They may join in, some may even start to find out that RP can be fun, and there we go. A few gamers who become roleplayers, a few people more who get that a game like this can have a nifty RP atmosphere if they contribute to it, and they may even roleplay by themselves and cause others to RP too, and whoa - more RP in the game.
Which is something many of us players came here for.
Elfess Solares

Post by Elfess Solares »

Sssari wrote:Its useful for character development, and of course practice, or to get in the mood. I don't do it often, but I "Have" Before, most often in fear of a GM watching me :O
Oh yeah Ssari? *grin* You only roleplay when you're alone RARELY?? Do you count when your ex's spirits are with you as alone or not along?

hahaha..... I always come across you alone... roleplaying away. I love it.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

i tend to RP when im all alone..mostly to build my character and RP training for myself..which i need>_< especially the rp theng..tooooo much "and then and then and then before and and and and" for my part when im RP'ing>_< meh..I RP all alone when i feel like it..not because im afraid of a GM going "heeeeyyy...you have been here for two hours now!stop Powergaming and go RP with someone!" where upon i would reply "eeehhmm..theres 3 more chars online and they are all german speaking..." *permban of all accounts* ya diiiig? :roll: ya do what ya wanna do..nooot what the GM wants you to do..?or something like that..
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

I do smile all untill someone comes onto my screen. I don't think that's going to change any time soon.

-Matt
Rugh'toh

Post by Rugh'toh »

I'm always hurrrrring all da time. Every twenty steps at least.

Hurrrr

Sometimes I've thought to myself: That makes no sense.

Now I am reading this stuff here and think: Great green man you!
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Rugh'toh wrote:I'm always hurrrrring all da time. Every twenty steps at least.

Hurrrr

Sometimes I've thought to myself: That makes no sense.

Now I am reading this stuff here and think: Great green man you!

hurr hurr is laughter as far as i know^,^orcish evil laughter sorta...
Llama

Post by Llama »

Hurrrrr
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Hurrrrr

and hurrrr is just the short version of that evil orc laughter?i dont knooooooww>_____<
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

My Orc always does "Hur" when I imagine him to be "chuckeling", like if he sees something amusing.
Rugh'toh

Post by Rugh'toh »

I think the problem with "hurrr" is the quite tricky accents.

Bascially for my little green Rughy, "hurrr" is a sort of nature anima.. erm.. orc sound.

Cows make "mmoooohhh"
GM rabbits make "eeek, eeek"
Mages mumbles ancient rubbish
Orcs make "hurrrr"
etc.

Taking hurrr as orc sound, it depends on the accentuation of what kind of hurr actually is meant in special situations.
In other words: Hurr is context sensitive.... cause.. it's sensitive to the ... context...
  • Soo, taking a nice green orc in front of a gay elven mage, a hurr sounds rather agressive.
    A hurr in front of a nicely roasted halfings rather means somewhat like: yummy.
    A hurrr of a drunken orc with his brothers around a campfire might actually mean a laughter, as orc father Retti already mentioned perfectly correct.

In the end of the day, the hurrrr is one of the manifold reasons, why orcs are a such a damned hard race to play! 8)

Hurrrr!
(which sounds like a proud: Now you know what it's all about)
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Listen to Rugh'toh! He's the smartest of us "Orcs"...
Rugh'toh

Post by Rugh'toh »

*hands a tasty roasted halfing arm to Rincewind as gift for a good job* :wink:
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Rugh'toh wrote:I think the problem with "hurrr" is the quite tricky accents.

Bascially for my little green Rughy, "hurrr" is a sort of nature anima.. erm.. orc sound.

Cows make "mmoooohhh"
GM rabbits make "eeek, eeek"
Mages mumbles ancient rubbish
Orcs make "hurrrr"
etc.

Taking hurrr as orc sound, it depends on the accentuation of what kind of hurr actually is meant in special situations.
In other words: Hurr is context sensitive.... cause.. it's sensitive to the ... context...
  • Soo, taking a nice green orc in front of a gay elven mage, a hurr sounds rather agressive.
    A hurr in front of a nicely roasted halfings rather means somewhat like: yummy.
    A hurrr of a drunken orc with his brothers around a campfire might actually mean a laughter, as orc father Retti already mentioned perfectly correct.

In the end of the day, the hurrrr is one of the manifold reasons, why orcs are a such a damned hard race to play! 8)

Hurrrr!
(which sounds like a proud: Now you know what it's all about)
erhm..okay..im still gonna think laughter when i hear hurr hurr^,^especially after i saw a old movie with hard of hearing subtitles in english. and there we two men laughing in a strange way, sounded like chuckling but it was translated to "hurr hurr"^^,and orcs are the easiest characters to play for me at least, nub hab to dink dat matsh wen yuu taipin!hurr hurr! :lol: