How much should one Rp, while he is alone.

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Pellandria

How much should one Rp, while he is alone.

Post by Pellandria »

I always wondered how much should one rp'ing engine related actions, while you are not seeing /hearing anyone around yourself.

As playing a warlock char mainly and skilling magic is just using the same spells over and over again untill either mana runs out or you finally get a swirly or the cap hits in, I can't be bothered to rp any of my magic, if I'm the only one to see it anyway, its not only boring but mindnumbning enough, that chars are basicly forced to pg ceratint skills just to fullfill their role, but if I finally find an empty place and noone is around, why should I rp in these cases?

I understand if you fight against Npc's and simply let your chars make comments on either the situation or ~speaking~ with the monster in question, but teleporting oneself trougth empty landscapes and then being forced to rp it on top is just so much more annoying, because the skill system is after all unforgiving, either you train your skill and waste your time on it or you suck, there is no middleground in it.

So after this rant I shall come back to the former question, how much should one rp, even if he/she is the only one to even hear it, no npc's or pc's around.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Personally I find doing what you said to be insanely mind-numbingly boring. So I usually just RP with myself to entertain myself. But if nobody's there to see, there isn't much of a point.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I only RP if I feel like it when alone.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Roleplay, in my eyes, is only done when there are other PCs around. When you are alone, there is no need to RP. As soon as you hear or see another PC, you'd have to RP.

I find RPing without anyone else nearby senseless, for RP is based on cooperation and creating a story together. Which is rather hard when there is not a together to be had. I'm actually quite surprised you made the effort while alone. :) Good way to practice though.
Matron

Post by Matron »

Loner-RP is common practice for us schizophrenic and good entertainment for the GMs.

I do it sometimes during all that PG when my eyes get cancerous from seeing all those auto-emotes but yeah..probably there is no real sense in it.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

I personally rp very often in single mode, most when my char visiting the grave of his wife. But that is more or less a a special way of char-reflecting. By training alone it would be just to boring for me if i would only click around, i need to write some nonsense to amuse my self. But anyway, you are never ~really~ alone ig, some hidden char or gm can ever watch you - so i think rp if you are single isnt useless.
Daelyn

Post by Daelyn »

Why would anyone PG magic now anyway? Anyone could cast any spell?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Daelyn wrote:Why would anyone PG magic now anyway? Anyone could cast any spell?
Because to teach rune X you need to have a degree of skill in that class -_-
Fayne Bridgewater

Post by Fayne Bridgewater »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Because to learn rune X you need to have a degree of skill in that class -_-

That too... :roll:
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Some spells are very annoying when the skill isn't trained well. Multiple walls result in 3 or sometimes less, portals lead to the wrong place, etc. There's still reason to skill, even after you have the runes.
Daelyn

Post by Daelyn »

I dont train, and all my spells function perfectly well:/ I havent got DUN though, which might make things a lot more difficult... =)
Damien

Post by Damien »

They are always watching you.

They are everywhere ! EVERYWHERE ! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.........................................................
Sssari

Post by Sssari »

Its useful for character development, and of course practice, or to get in the mood. I don't do it often, but I "Have" Before, most often in fear of a GM watching me :O
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

The only time I rp when I am alone is when I run into these terrible invisible force fields that otherwise can be walked upon. I usually:

kicks the invisible spot.

relieves himself over the spot.

casts a lightning bolt to try and dispatch the force field.

poor a bucket of water over the spot.

ask for an archmage ring.

fondle.

summon an aggressive undead.

does a jig
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

I like to hit on the NPCs. I just love the rejection.
Sssari

Post by Sssari »

Kamilar wrote:I like to hit on the NPCs. I just love the rejection.
Nearly forgot! Rping with Borgate=Always accepted and required.
Shenandrea

Post by Shenandrea »

Sssari wrote:
At times it would be rather embarassing what Borgate has to tell about everyone in the tavern, if he could speak. The same for the NPC in the library.
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

Shenandrea wrote:
Sssari wrote:
At times it would be rather embarassing what Borgate has to tell about everyone in the tavern, if he could speak. The same for the NPC in the library.
Eliza will tell anything for a fish *winks*
Damien

Post by Damien »

In fact and even though they tend to ignore you if you use improper words, Borgate and Eliza are much better roleplayers than many players :

- they emote quite often and never just to excuse ctrl-click-attacks
- they never attack anyone without a reason. In fact, i've never seen them attack anyone at all !
- they never ran into the middle of some nifty RP talk asking "wanna fight ?"
- they never abused an engine weakness
- they never spam ingame
- they never talked 1337 or used shortcut speech
and my favourite :
- they both have a steady char concept and never joined an "evil" guild just because they mistook "being evil" for "character depth" !

So guys, better take them as example !
Llama

Post by Llama »

Damien wrote:- they never spam ingame
Yes they do! Eliza keeps repeating that she sells the best goods for the best prices, and eats more fish in a day than most armies
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

Still some NPCs make my day, especially when no one else is around!

RPing with Hagar in the Nordmark tavern, is such a pleasure from time to time...
But my favourite NPC is Borgate. He always *Arrh!*s in the right moment. Great guy.

Single player rp is not quite as good as playing together with others, but it can be really good from time to time. Especially for character development it is always good to rp some hours on your own.

I think everyone should do what they please when alone ig. I don't care if you fight monsters or cast spells without rp when alone. As long as I don't have to watch you doing this...

Still I won't start pging without rp background, and also not without rp in between the auto emotes. It is simply too boring!
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

On the flip side, some npcs are annoying. Example: The goblin at the docks who says "xxxxxxx" in #me's and in their words.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Azuros wrote:The goblin at the docks who says "xxxxxxx" in #me's and in their words.
What do you mean with "xxxxxx"? O.o Sound like a bug to me..
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

He says ****** (AKA, he speaks goblin)
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

But should the language really affect #me's?

Code: Select all

Guggkain Teewee xxxxxx her tongue
Fayne Bridgewater

Post by Fayne Bridgewater »

Azuros wrote:But should the language really affect #me's?

Code: Select all

Guggkain Teewee xxxxxx her tongue
censored? rofl
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

sounds like flicks her tongue...guess flick is a bad word : D
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Role-playing alone is a good way to inform yourself more of your character. Repeating the same emotes over and over doesn't accomplish these things, but I've spent much time in the past role playing various situations of fishing and cooking on an open fire. Despite how devastatingly boring this is, if someone approached me I always had a much more interesting way to explain what I was doing rather than just saying I'm working on my fishing.

Your character is formed by the things he does when he is alone. There is a point in which role playing alone can become mundane and unproductive, but there is always good reason to experiment when bored or want to take a break from working on skills.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I find playing rp for myself rather boring, simply for the fact that it frustrates me, that I'm wasting my time on a skill that I normally wouldn't even care about.

Selfreflection after all is a good point, but I'm not doing this to amuse a gm, after all, if a gm is watching you, would it not be rather enjoyable for the Gm to actually go out and play something, he doesn't even need to be some kind of well known char, taken over npc's or simply animals/monsters hold a good cup of rp aswell.

If you want your char to evolve on its own there is always the ability for him/her to writte some kind of notebook or diary, you can do that even while playing illa at the same time, so thats more usefull than writting a few useless sentences to an empty screen, while I wait for a chance to rp, but I guess everyone has his/her own way to get into the mood of rp'ing, I just think that self reflection is better done withwritting a diary, after all you cna even post said diary on the forums to let people enjoy your work and maybe understand the way of their chars lives, sadly people always go and abuse such things.

But after all I would like a clear statement from the Gm's to this case, I have no problem rp'ing magic, if someone is around and if I happen to come across someone, while practicing this stupid skill, I will snap back into rp, but is there a need for writting..something that will just break the monotony of the auto emotions or is it just a recommended option?
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

Not every char is the diary-writing type, Pella. Some can't even write or read (what is extremely cool rp from time to time).