Different sizes of armors(and clothes).

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Hawkmoon

Different sizes of armors(and clothes).

Post by Hawkmoon »

Hello all again!

Here I come with another proposal.. This time it is about armors...

What I would like to see is that armors comes in different sizes and that one can only wear an armor in the same size as oneself. This would make finding armors on enemies harder...

My suggestion would be like this...

1. There would be different basic sizes. Such as:
Minimal
Very small (halflings, dwarfs, goblins)
Normal (humans, lizards and orcs)
Very large (big humans, big orcs, big lizards and big orcs).

These should be able to wear these armor if in the same group, but with some negative bonuses.

2. There would be different basic sizes for each race since they usually are built a bit different to each other... Example:
Human Large, Elf small, halfling normal and so on... If this is the same as the one who wants to wear the armor then it will be ok. The armor can be used without positive or negative bonuses.

3. An armour made for the char means the smith take the measurements from the char who have ordered the armor and therefore makes it perfect for that person. Perhaps harde to do but would also give the wearer of the armor some positive bonuses.

Not sure if this is possible to implement and if it would be liked, but it sure would make smiths and tailors (could me used for clothes as well of course...) able to get better payment and the monster droppings less important without making it useless.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

It sounds nice at least....
Just wait what the devs will say.
Daelyn

Post by Daelyn »

Hmm.. This one I am more sceptical to. It sounds like a lot of work for the devs, and it isn't really necessary as it could be RPed. In fact it SHOULD be RPed IMO. Also it would make it harder to trade armours and such. It would also be very hard to play a fairy or a dwarf. I dunno, I'm not crazy about this one.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

There is already something like this, it is called roleplay. You may declare if it fits or not. Most people say not, since making armor takes huge amounts of metal and can become rather annoying.

I was for this idea a while back, but now I realise it can be easily done. If something says 'dwarven' armor, then perhaps it is not for a gigantic lizard! Sure, you can say that it was made bigger for a lizard, but only so far can you go before the style of the armor would be lost and thus produce something that does not make sense.

Humans can wear generally any armor, since they are sort of a median ground but a very tall human may prefer to wear elven armor, where as a very fat and short human may prefer dwarven.

Halflings would probably prefer to wear leather, or dwarven like armor, or perhaps small human armor. Same with dwarves, orcs, and goblins.

Fairies probably would be wearing minimal armor, since they need to fly.

Elves, Lizards, and Humans may prefer to wear elven armor.
Gnomes are odd, and most likely would prefer to have arms free to do more sort of work rather then fight. But, I suppose leather armor or some types of metal armor would be more comfortable but it would probably be a lighter type.

Roleplay is how this can be handled, with ease. If you are looking for balances within the armor system, I believe that is currently being worked on anyway.
Hawkmoon

Post by Hawkmoon »

Vern Kron wrote:There is already something like this, it is called roleplay. You may declare if it fits or not. Most people say not, since making armor takes huge amounts of metal and can become rather annoying.

I was for this idea a while back, but now I realise it can be easily done. If something says 'dwarven' armor, then perhaps it is not for a gigantic lizard! Sure, you can say that it was made bigger for a lizard, but only so far can you go before the style of the armor would be lost and thus produce something that does not make sense.

Humans can wear generally any armor, since they are sort of a median ground but a very tall human may prefer to wear elven armor, where as a very fat and short human may prefer dwarven.

Halflings would probably prefer to wear leather, or dwarven like armor, or perhaps small human armor. Same with dwarves, orcs, and goblins.

Fairies probably would be wearing minimal armor, since they need to fly.

Elves, Lizards, and Humans may prefer to wear elven armor.
Gnomes are odd, and most likely would prefer to have arms free to do more sort of work rather then fight. But, I suppose leather armor or some types of metal armor would be more comfortable but it would probably be a lighter type.

Roleplay is how this can be handled, with ease. If you are looking for balances within the armor system, I believe that is currently being worked on anyway.
Agree it would be the best, but I have seen elven armor and weapons way too many times on orcs and so on to be honest.. And it feels kinda strange the armor from dead monsters suit everyone. That is almost impossible to RP i would say...

With the suggestion it would also be more popular to pay for armor rather than hope to get it as loot.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

An orc who wears elven amor should be killed by his clan <.<
Llama

Post by Llama »

Well, I totally disagree with this proposal. Aside from making it more complex to program, it will turn things into a bit of a mess - so yes, roleplay is the way to go about this.

Now personally, when my smith makes "Light elven armor" for example, I simply 'identify' it as being a design invented by elves. Not that its made for elves (although it could also be the case). Like the Salkmaerian armor was invented/used a lot in Salkmar.

Given that elves are light and graceful, its easy to assume that elvish designs will be lighter, and so an orc who wants to wear light armor (for some reason or other) - isn't really bad roleplay in my opinion.

I don't see anything wrong in making a normal-sized dwarven platemail. Its simply a design invented by a dwarf, expanded in size. Not sure that I'm being understandable.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

entirely overkill. This is a game. No RL simulation. Keep that in mind. You can roleplay that your smith/tailor/what-ever creates a small/normal/large armor/cloth/what-ever for the one who buys it. That is enougth.

Proposal rejected.