Take treasure maps out of the water.

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Take treasure maps out of the water.

Post by LifeWonder »

I know I'm going to be flamed for this, but hey, since when do I care.

I think treasure maps should be taken out of the water.

Why? Because it's stupid. First of all, if I'm not mistaken and please correct me if I am, there was no plastifying machines to make parchments water resistant in the middle ages. Like, srsly guise, whut. You don't throw a map in the water and then pull it out days later and it's still dry, readable and all. That's a little silly.
Secondly, because it annoys me to see people standing by the river, fishing.. and throwing the fish away. It's so silly, seriously. It's obvious they're fishing for map and that's really unrealistic and corruptive to roleplay (at least to me..)

Where to put them instead? Make them drops.. Random drops on random monsters.. Or.. make them findable anywhere.. in cool places.. The trick is to diversify the location where they can be found so they're ACTUALLY found randomly, not by fishing. Here are a few ideas of "how" one could find them.

Mining
Monster drops
Trees
Digging
Bee hives
Quests
Randomly on the ground
Etc.

I'm sure more places could be thought of.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

I always thought it was silly how parchments were water resistant and the oily ink stayed legible as well. However, random drops don't seem too realistic either. As with many proposals, maybe you should think if making the game too realistic in certain aspects is a good idea or not?

I know for a fact that in rl if I'm fishing for something other then a fish, I'm not going to add a worm to the end of my line. Perhaps we could make that feature? And to keep it the same random percentage of rail ins, the amount of buckets and shoes/other random things increases as much as fish does.

As for the "throwing the fish off to the side," if they are thrown near the bank, from a technical perspective, since you can't literally throw them back, your character should interpret them as being returned to the water.
Youchimitchu

Post by Youchimitchu »

uhh i kinda agree but do not expect much.

though i think mining absolutely not what im gonna find a map in the rock?
maybe digging in the sand instead?
monster drops? this is not runescape ....maybe bandits and skeletons ((strong ones or better))

trees? eh... id say very low chance

Bee hives yes a chance someone thought oh ill hide my secret in this out of the way beehive

quests always possible

randomly on the ground ....mmmm Im not sure on that one at all

Although the idea of finding them in bushes thats an idea to guy goes by and stuffs on in a bush.

but as for that it all comes down to they will still go and troll for maps either way.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

but as for that it all comes down to they will still go and troll for maps either way.
I am fine with fishing for them... actually it has made the fishing industry including selling fish etc good and helps new players earn some copper without having to go to the crypts to fight. There is easy chance to RP while fishing also and have had a lot of fun RP sessions.
Youchimitchu

Post by Youchimitchu »

Aye you have a point Achae I have gotten some great rp conversations from people as we fish aside from that I think the complaint is that some people no longer fish for the rp reason or the fish just maps alone .
Though you really cannot stop things like that I'd like tosee maps found elsewhere and stuff.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

I always thought the map system was kind of horrible to a degree. If I look at a map, I don't see "Lets go south east", I look at the red marker and make my way to that spot, in this case, corner of a small island. If these maps are able to withstand water, then instead of making the devs create even more work and make thousands of un -needed ways of getting them, why can't they just change a simple thing?

Instead of saying "it looks like it's in the southeast", which isn't realistic in itself, it could say "*the map seems to pull you and tell you to go -insert direction here- by a strong magical aura*". This would explain the maps ability to withstand curtains and wear a normal, non magical parchment couldn't.

Also, it could create a neat story line. A pirate who was rich as hell, buried his treasure across the isle and dispersed his maps into the sea so that his captors wouldn't get it. Only those with an ability to feel the magic (high perception, as it is currently) can reveal the correct location. At least with the pirated ones, of course. :| Justa thought.
ogerawa

Post by ogerawa »

Instead of treasure map, it's a magical compass? XD
water resistant map... with magic anything is possible. Heck.. the guardians just spawned out of nowhere. Making water resistant and durable map sounds easier than spawning monsters. As for the fishes, you can just rp tosses them back into the river/sea where ever xD
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

Parchments were tossed into water using a bottle. Only difference is that they this way, there were floating.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

They are magic maps....

That's it. :P
Llama

Post by Llama »

I was going to work on this one day, but at the same time nitram was working on the system so I was unable to.

I'm all for this personally.
Olive

Post by Olive »

I would prefer to see maps found by research in the library
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Maps as monster drops is currently evaluated and assessed.
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Olive wrote:I would prefer to see maps found by research in the library
That too!
LifeWonder

Post by LifeWonder »

Jupiter wrote:They are magic maps....

That's it. :P
IMHO, the "It's magic" excuse is being overused by now.

Each time someone speaks up against something, everyone goes "yeah but it's OK because it's magic!!1!"

No, srsly.
ogerawa

Re: Take treasure maps out of the water.

Post by ogerawa »

LifeWonder wrote:I think treasure maps should be taken out of the water.

Why? Because it's stupid. First of all, if I'm not mistaken and please correct me if I am, there was no plastifying machines to make parchments water resistant in the middle ages. Like, srsly guise, whut. You don't throw a map in the water and then pull it out days later and it's still dry, readable and all. That's a little silly.
Maybe shouldn't have brought reality as an excuse for RP game where there is magic RP involved... :roll: Since with reality check, we shouldn't have magic IG as well. Too much reality = less fun :lol: Thus fantasy stuff lives because magic does make things more interesting since it's not real. Not trying to go against taking out the maps out of fishing or anything. Just thought it's kind of silly to use reality as a comparison for a fantasy game :D

PS: not trying to be offensive either... just a reply to 1 of the excuses.. coz it kind of intrigued me, i guess :wink: