Loss of all work due to Server going down

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Elfess Solares

Loss of all work due to Server going down

Post by Elfess Solares »

Hello!

I am a newbie, not only to Illarion, but to any RPG. My boyfriend is a closet computer buff and we have added RPing to our list of fun things to do together. *grin and laughs at herself*

I have had a lot of fun on Illarion as I can work on skills and not have to worry about being randomly attacked by some random person, which he says happens in many other RPGs.

HOWEVER... Yesterday and today I have become very frustrated. Both days I took a couple hours to dink around, collect items in Varshikar for the very first time, sell things and do some traveling. Yesterday everything that I did in the afternoon was completely wiped out after the server went back up. I tried to do most of it again last night, but I am such a busy person... losing all the fun things I did was so frustrating... and I look forward to this game to alleviate my stress.

Today it happened again. I have been playing for about 2 hours, then got kicked off due to a server being down, and now logging on... every last minute of what I have done has disappeared.

Is this common? I have enjoyed Illarion so much, but must admit that two days in a row is hard for a busy newbie to stomach...

Please let me know, Oh seasoned ones and Great masters of the game... *big grin and a chuckle*. I would like to continue playing this game, but will lose my taste for it if I lose another 6 hours of work, questing, and playing like I have the last 2 days...

Hopeful, Meorah
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

Happens. D:

There's nothing you can do but hope it doesn't happen again.

Actually, the trick is to log out when you've done a good batch of work and to log back in. The action of logging out saves your information to the server so even if there's a restart, you'll only lose whatever you did since you last logged out.

Logging out and back in is basically like "backup" in case the server restart.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

You can save your work with logging out and logging back in, there is no other way to currently save in Illlarion, because any serverwide save produces unbearable lags, you can however rent a mule, that will save your status aswell, but mules currently are bugged aswell.

The Devs, fortune for us, now seem to tell you before they restart a serv, log out immedeatly if you see some message about the server being shut down, for any other crashes, well one can just say that its bad luck, so whenever you think you did something important or time consuming log out and log back in, costs you not even a minute and helps you to keep your sanity.

Agh ninjaed by Life...

Oh and something else, if you see the message*the server restarts, this may cause lag* do not try to log out, stay in, logging out in this moment may cause bugs.
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

Agh ninjaed by Life
>:3

Life's a bitch.
Elfess Solares

Easy

Post by Elfess Solares »

That is an easy fix... back to Goliath I go!

Oh, also, does it erase levels I may have gained?
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

It erases levels, yes. Sadly. :(
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Thanks to all the hard work, the server is down much less then it used to be however still a good idea to log out occasionally for major skill gain and work.
karal

Post by karal »

Mein Englisch ist leider nicht das beste (um nicht zu sagen ich kann mir etwas zu essen bestellen, weiß aber nicht ob ich das bekomme was ich haben wollte)

Wenn ich das hier jetzt im groben zusammzimmer heißt es all die Dinge die ich jetzt in den letzten Tagen bei allen Abstürzen verloren habe, habe ich halt verloren.
Gegenmaßnahme um allzu große Verluste zu vermeiden: Immer wieder mal selbst ausloggen nachdem man wichtige Sachen gemacht oder gefunden hat und anschließend wieder einloggen, dannn sind zumindest die sachen seit dem letzten selfmade logout gesichert.
Ist das so richtig zusammen gefaßt?

Danke schon mal im vorraus für eine Antwort und reges geläster warum der kein englisch kann *g*

Karal
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Richtig verstanden, Karal.
karal

Post by karal »

Danke Nitram
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

I really got killed by a previous client crash... I had just earned 350 silver coins, and completed the over tedious task of during ore to ingots, and those ingots into 1500 pins... I logged out when the warning sign came up, and I logged back on when the server was back up and found all my work was undone :(
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

If you see the *the server restarts now, it may cause lag* do not try to log out, stay in and hope you aren't kicked.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

bdgdkay wrote:I really got killed by a previous client crash... I had just earned 350 silver coins, and completed the over tedious task of during ore to ingots, and those ingots into 1500 pins... I logged out when the warning sign came up, and I logged back on when the server was back up and found all my work was undone :(
I can see about 50 instances in between there that you should have relogged. Not really anyone elses' fault but your own.
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

@Pella:

It said something along the lines of, the server has to be restarted, and everyone should log off.

@Julius:

I had done all of those things in a very short amount of time, and wasnt expecting that the time that I finally get around to making the pins, and the time I ran into the person from which i had earned 350 silver coins, that that one time would happen to have a restart.. But it was only a few minutes after it all happened that the server was restarted
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

That is an easy fix... back to Goliath I go!
*Gobaith? :)