hoods

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Joxia Doral

hoods

Post by Joxia Doral »

Would it possible to implement an actual hooded cloak than when the hood is worn the characters name is also hidden?
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Well, maybe the "someone" or "Fred" over the character avatar a different color instead? Wiping out the entire name is either impossible or not a good idea. To tell you the truth, the entire look at feature and anything that improves it diminishes the level of rp. I don't care if someone is wearing a engine cloak or not, if you don't tell me your wearing a black cloak in your #me I'm going to act as though it's you.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

I think what shes getting at is even when people rp a hood, it is hardly ever taken notice off, or if it is, people are unable to rp in a way which suggests they dont know who the character is (no im not just talking about wolf here :P ).

I like the idea, but there will probably some graphical/engine problem *shrug*.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

If you cannot rp your character in a way that people don't know it's your character, your either pretty bad at rping or you have a character like Wolf who has a distinct frame and used to attack the town daily. Not needed in my opinion.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Re-read what i said. Im not talking about the characters who are hooded, im talking about the the way other characters they meet act. Players struggle to keep ooc knowledge of who the character is and ig knowledge seperate when dealing with them. I understand that about wolf, which is why i said in my post im not just referring to him obviously.
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

While hoods would be nice to have, and I do think them a cool idea, I don't think it's a necessary idea. Like Jewls said, this can be roleplayed alot more effectively than any change of the avatar could show.
Julius

Post by Julius »

Sundo Raca wrote:Re-read what i said. Im not talking about the characters who are hooded, im talking about the the way other characters they meet act. Players struggle to keep ooc knowledge of who the character is and ig knowledge seperate when dealing with them. I understand that about wolf, which is why i said in my post im not just referring to him obviously.
If a char attacks the town every day with the same hood, light is going to shine in his face at some point. That sounds OOC as hell, I know but I've seen chars walk into town in day light and get pissed at me because my character knows their name. Also, if someone frequents the town (attacks the town with a hood, 10 minutes later returns with no hood and a smile on their face) it's obvious. If someone can't keep OOC and IC separated in the extreme cases that may arise, there is always the !gm feature or the ESC button.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

So long as they have a good excuse for recognising, thats fine. Ive seen hooded characters recognised due to 'their eyes' and other weird excuses. Mostly however, i think it would just be fun trying to work out who it was from their attitude/character traits :P
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I think if you take someone as wolf he is going to be reconized sooner or later, simply because of the way he talks, or shall I say growl, and because he is simply huge.

Lately I play Pella hooded aswell and most people only start reconizing her as soon as she either talks or gives away her name, a "hood" would be nice, hell even a (H) behind the name would be nice, atleast that keeps me from shooting my #me everytime I walk across someone, but I think there are still other ways after all.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

If your character is identified, after they are wearing a hood through real ways, then basically your character is -known- to be wearing a hood by that character. If you saw a guy you know run by wearing a hood, and later you saw a person with the same hood, would you expect it to be some one else? Just saying that you do need to be fair when playing the blame game, it is common sense sometimes.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Vern Kron wrote:If your character is identified, after they are wearing a hood through real ways, then basically your character is -known- to be wearing a hood by that character. If you saw a guy you know run by wearing a hood, and later you saw a person with the same hood, would you expect it to be some one else? Just saying that you do need to be fair when playing the blame game, it is common sense sometimes.
Unless people are wearing multicoloured hoods, or your character is sherlock holmes, this is laughable.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Not all characters where hoods. Hooded characters are supicious in their own right, and it is near impossible for any creature to remake something the exact same way every time. Flaws will happen, cloth will have tears, different dirt marks, so on and so forth.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Vern Kron wrote:Not all characters where hoods. Hooded characters are supicious in their own right, and it is near impossible for any creature to remake something the exact same way every time. Flaws will happen, cloth will have tears, different dirt marks, so on and so forth.
Yes, but as pointed out your character shouldnt be a master detective (unless he/she is actually rped that way). I see tons of people near me who wear hoods which cover their faces, and i dont remember anything distinctive at all usually.
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

Ive played a hooded character at one time, and it got to be too difficult re #me-ing something about a hood every time i ran into someone new.

On another point, that which sundo is making, when it comes to other players, and im just as guilty of this myself, people come up with the worst excuses for identifying who people are. And some people are just completely persistant, to the point where they will not give up until they found some excuse of why they might be able to identifying the hooded person.

Now, i had this idea to work this all out. It was thought of that when you wear the hood, it covers up part of your name. This might not be supportable on the engine, being a large problem. But, what if your name gets changed to the color of the background for your char's "nametag". From what ive seen, this is completely engine supportable , if you havent noticed your char's name can be changed colors by something being sent in places in your inventory.
Ofcourse this leads to the problem of not being able to tell what kind of item a char is holding, but it could solve the hood problem.

On another note, this would make it so tailors have another thing to try and make money from selling...
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I like the idea of a hood in the descrip when your char is clicked but don't think it is necessary to actually hide your char. This puts more mechanics into something IMO that is RP. I realize some people don't "notice" the hood but surprisingly some do also. My char has worn a "hood" so long that most assume she has one on even when she doesn't RP it. :wink:
Llama

Post by Llama »

I have a silly solution

When you put on A HOOD, your character number gets changed to another fixed one.

Problem is, that number will be fixed, so if you commit a crime while wearing a hood, they'll be hunting you down anyway.

That way everyone's happy. Maybe.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Your solution is silly indeed because "changing" the number is simply not possible without causing major havoc in the clients and the servers character management.
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

What about that idea of changing your name's color to match the nametag? I thought it sounded pretty good to me...
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

Just set the name color to black, or transparent.

Is it possible to set the name color to transparent?