Marcus's ham quest

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Dien

Marcus's ham quest

Post by Dien »

I did do a search both here and at the Wiki for information on this, but nothing came up for me, so here goes:

I'm attempting to get that delivery of ham from the harbour for Marcus (I know, you would never have guessed it by my subject line). I've found the Harbour and talked to all three of the NPCs there. Especially Nicolas, since I asked someone IG and they said he was specifically the one to talk to. They said that asking him about ham would cue more conversation about a thief in a monastery, or somesuch.

The only problem is it's not actually cuing that conversation. I have tried asking Nicolas every single ham-related, delivery-related, ship-related, or Marcus-related question I can think of, and I never get anything more than "Nice to meet you" and "I'm Nicolas" and "I wait for traders, etc."

If there's a PARTICULAR phrase I'm supposed to use, I could really use a hint as to what it is.

The possibility has occurred to me that perhaps I haven't formally "accepted" the quest from Marcus (I don't know if that's something that applies in Illarion, but it has in other games I've been in). In the dialogues with Marcus, I get right up to the point where he tells me what he wants me to do, and says he will pay me, and asks if I'm interested. At that point I've tried saying a billion things like "Yes" and "I accept" and "I will get the ham", none of which he responds to.

So my question is two-fold: is there something more I need to say to Marcus to officially get the quest, and if not, what do I need to do with Nicolas?

And please don't say "figure it out in game." I understand the reasoning behind that, but I've BEEN trying to figure it out in-game, and three times walking back and forth to the Harbour from Troll's Bane is getting really tiring.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

go back to markus. ask him for a job. if he asks you then, where his ham or pork is, you know, that you are in the quest.
if he does not react in that way, ask him, where the harbour is. then he should offer you the job. which you accept with yes. when he tells about the ham, nicolas got, you are in.

when you are with nicolas, ask him about the ham. "ham", not "pork"
(unclean solution: just use the one word "ham")
if that does not work, something is broken.

well, won't tell you more, not to spoil the fun.
Last edited by Korm Kormsen on Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dien

Post by Dien »

Thank you! That's very helpful.
Basal

Post by Basal »

I have talked to Nicolas, but I cannot for the life of me find that thief he said went west. I have gone as far west as Greenbriar and walked three times back and forth to cover all the land between Greenbriar and the harbor. I see nothing - just an empty Eldan monastery and druid house. Please help!
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Basal wrote:I have talked to Nicolas, but I cannot for the life of me find that thief he said went west. I have gone as far west as Greenbriar and walked three times back and forth to cover all the land between Greenbriar and the harbor. I see nothing - just an empty Eldan monastery and druid house. Please help!
It seems the thief moves around that area. I have seen him at the monastary, and at the Bridge to Briar. I suggest looking around more. He's there somewhere.

Hint: when you talk to him....be a mean, heartless SOB, no matter what he says. 8)
Basal

Post by Basal »

Thank you Juniper, I will keep looking in the West woods then.
Basal

Post by Basal »

I am getting nowhere with Siloli. All he will say is "I love ham...." or "I didn't steal any ham" What am I supposed to do?

Edit, I am still in front of Siloli, and he is driving me insane! He keeps repeating the same things no matter what I say. I want to attack him at this point but the server won't let me.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Basal wrote:I am getting nowhere with Siloli. All he will say is "I love ham...." or "I didn't steal any ham" What am I supposed to do?

Edit, I am still in front of Siloli, and he is driving me insane! He keeps repeating the same things no matter what I say. I want to attack him at this point but the server won't let me.
OK, I just tried it. Yeah, He's right, there is a problem with the 'key' commands. The best I could do was have him give me two hams.

I'll report this on Mantis, but for now, I recommend you get 10 Hams from somewhere else and go on to other things. This happens sometimes. 8)
pharse

Post by pharse »

Juniper Onyx wrote:OK, I just tried it. Yeah, He's right, there is a problem with the 'key' commands. The best I could do was have him give me two hams.
Depending on what you say and how "friendly" and "honest" you are, he will give you nothing up to all of the ham. But mind what you're saying. There is no return.
Godfrey

Post by Godfrey »

I also ran into the same problem with the thief, and I cannot weasle the ham from him...
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

Anyone have the thread necromancer image? :?
Hontus Ei

Post by Hontus Ei »

OR

Mabz

Post by Mabz »

help I got 2 pieces of ham from the thief but now all he says is he loves ham or doesnt respond help i really want to finish this quest.
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

pharse wrote:
Juniper Onyx wrote:OK, I just tried it. Yeah, He's right, there is a problem with the 'key' commands. The best I could do was have him give me two hams.
Depending on what you say and how "friendly" and "honest" you are, he will give you nothing up to all of the ham. But mind what you're saying. There is no return.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

I just found Siloli and asked him for the ham. Only thing he is saying whole time is "Mmmh, ham, i love it! A few pieces of ham can feed a whole family for some days!"
Did i already missed the chance to get the ham back or is he wanting a certain key word? 'Ham' isnt working, and all other 100 things i tried didnt work.
A.Random.Person.

Post by A.Random.Person. »

I've seen that guy all the way up at Varshikar.. and at the very bottom of briar, and above the north woods.. i think..
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

yesterday he was between the harbor and the bridge to briar, the place he should be.
And i already got out my question, i failed to get the ham, i just rosted 10 pig meat and gave it marcus :D
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

hehehe. i phailed that quest big time..now that i know that i dont even 'need' to get that ham from dat thiefy boi i can just roast some pork and then yay for me i finish the quest without actually 'doing' it.. :?: :!:

Whats the point of having that quest when you really dont have to "do" it to finish it...meh, havent had nikotiiin in my system yet...easily annoyed in the morning>_<
pharse

Post by pharse »

Whats the point of having that quest when you really dont have to "do" it to finish it
What about freedom of choice for your character, not for the lazy player behind the screen?